Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: IL 2013 Acura ILX First Drive

04-21-2012 12:04 PM #71
      Thanks. Meanwhile I'd paint a generic stroke and call you a Honda/Acura nut buster.

Lexus CT is a premium hybrid with a hybrid system that suits real world drivers better than Honda. The Honda assist hybrid system seems nice until you consider the fact you can get the same improved MPGs and low end torque from a diesel. But since I don't think we will see a diesel A3 or A4 anytime soon then Honda will be alone in offering what may be a fun to drive hybrid compact luxury sedan.... for the very small market of buyers who care about that.

Honda/Acura deserves nit picking else how will the brand improve if all we do is sing praise and buy up any crap with a badge.

I understand exactly why Honda wants the ILX. Get young buyers in the family early and keep them there. Fine by me, but I have nothing good to say about these buyers. I'll wait for real test reviews to continue on that. Reviews so far don't sound very promising however.

The ILX is good enough. Ok. Acceptable. Where is the pride in such a car. Forgive me for being critical of a car that is just plain ok.

Vehicles
      Porsche & Honda
      04-21-2012 12:35 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Thanks. Meanwhile I'd paint a generic stroke and call you a Honda/Acura nut buster.

Lexus CT is a premium hybrid with a hybrid system that suits real world drivers better than Honda. The Honda assist hybrid system seems nice until you consider the fact you can get the same improved MPGs and low end torque from a diesel. But since I don't think we will see a diesel A3 or A4 anytime soon then Honda will be alone in offering what may be a fun to drive hybrid compact luxury sedan.... for the very small market of buyers who care about that.

Honda/Acura deserves nit picking else how will the brand improve if all we do is sing praise and buy up any crap with a badge.

I understand exactly why Honda wants the ILX. Get young buyers in the family early and keep them there. Fine by me, but I have nothing good to say about these buyers. I'll wait for real test reviews to continue on that. Reviews so far don't sound very promising however.

The ILX is good enough. Ok. Acceptable. Where is the pride in such a car. Forgive me for being critical of a car that is just plain ok.
      Thats fine, Call me whatever you'd like. A Honda nutswinger? not in the least. I am a fan of the brand as a whole however. A big fan at that. Their history/heritage, their product over the years...from my Honda lawnmowere which starts on the first crank everytime to my World Superbike Championship winning Honda RC51 V-Twin, to the worlds fastest and most fuel efficient private jet, to the ever advancing Honda Asimo, to all the great cars they have built over the years. That said, i dont drive a Honda. I drive whatever fits my personal life best at the time of purchase. That could be a Honda, a Volkswagen, or BMW.

The Lexus is a premium hatchback with great fuel economy. For less money i can go buy a VW Golf TDi which gets better highway mileage real world and offers more features for less money then the starting price of a CT. Very similiar to the argument you make as to why the ILX sucks. That said, the CT offers the same over the Golf that an ILX will offer over compacts from non luxury brands.

It is 100% fine to critisize a car. but to critisize one car, yet praise another which can be critisized for the exact same things make you look like a disgruntled honda hater. Someone whos opinion i would take with a grain of salt. Having not sat in an ILX or driven one along with its competition....lets just leave it at that.

Lastly, there is no pride in such a car. But then again, i don't see pride in any entry level luxyr car. They are just that.....a cheap entry level car. Pride i see in flagship and halo cars...as well as cars that are the best of the best amongst their competitors...but today...there are not cars that are the best of the best, regardless of brand. They all do soemthing better then the next. They are all best at one thing but not at another. Many are a jack of all trades, master of none.

Vehicles
      '06 BMW Z4M Coupe, '13 Cadillac ATS 3.6 RWD
      04-21-2012 12:52 PM #73
      It has an Acura badge on it. That is really the only thing I can see this car has going for it. Dual zone auto climate and an Acura badge.
      That's why there are many choices of cars to buy and everyone doesn't buy the same car.

Have you ever driven and/or sat in the ILX? If not, how can you say the Verano is any better? At best a weak comparison of "on paper" data comparison.

4. Member
      04-21-2012 12:55 PM #74
      Other than the NSX, the 3rd Generation TL was their best looking car. Everytime I see a 3rd gen next to a 4th gen, I scratch my head and wonder what the hell were they thinking. The design has been down hill since then

Vehicles
      2014 Cappuccino shawty, 2008 silver family thing
      04-21-2012 01:21 PM #75
      such a lack of originality on the TCL, every thread involving acura requires rule 1: posting of a blue type-s TL, some comment about going downhill and how (insert your favorite up and coming automaker) is out to eat its lunch. In this thread it appears to be the verano.
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

TL;DR should be banned and changed to ID;CR or I'm dumb, can't read.

04-21-2012 01:48 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by a2a4raddo View Post
      It is 100% fine to critisize a car. but to critisize one car, yet praise another which can be critisized for the exact same things make you look like a disgruntled honda hater. Someone whos opinion i would take with a grain of salt. Having not sat in an ILX or driven one along with its competition....lets just leave it at that.

Lastly, there is no pride in such a car. But then again, i don't see pride in any entry level luxyr car. They are just that.....a cheap entry level car. Pride i see in flagship and halo cars...as well as cars that are the best of the best amongst their competitors...but today...there are not cars that are the best of the best, regardless of brand. They all do soemthing better then the next. They are all best at one thing but not at another. Many are a jack of all trades, master of none.
      Then we can agree on one thing a judgement will have to wait.

And what other car was I ignoring btw? My former CR-Z? If your talking about the unfinished exhaust the CR-Z was an entry level compact hybrid and the ILX is the first step into a luxury brand. If I'm paying extra for a luxury badge I want more attention to small details.

Vehicles
      2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT
      04-21-2012 01:52 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by gti5dr06 View Post
      such a lack of originality on the TCL, every thread involving acura requires rule 1: posting of a blue type-s TL, some comment about going downhill and how (insert your favorite up and coming automaker) is out to eat its lunch. In this thread it appears to be the verano.
      Nah, I don't think it is run of mill.

Acura dressed up a Civic, made it different enough so "people" can't tell it still has a penis under the dress, and will now push it out from the vacuum they live in and wonder why no one likes it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

8. 04-21-2012 01:53 PM #78
      I wish the 8th and 9th gen civic had that regular dash, really hate the civic dash since the 8th gen..

Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '14 GLI Autobahn
      04-21-2012 03:01 PM #79
      But since I don't think we will see a diesel A3 or A4 anytime soon then Honda will be alone in offering what may be a fun to drive hybrid compact luxury sedan.... for the very small market of buyers who care about that.
      We've already had the A3 TDI in the U.S. since 2010. Unless you are talking about the upcoming sedan.

Anyways, I really don't get the stick up TCL's ass when it comes to Honda's/Acura's. Show me a faster, better semi-luxury sedan with a nicer interior and more features than the TSX that can be had for under $30k.

04-21-2012 07:48 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      Anyways, I really don't get the stick up TCL's ass when it comes to Honda's/Acura's. Show me a faster, better semi-luxury sedan with a nicer interior and more features than the TSX that can be had for under $30k.
      The TSX is going away. Or more likely I bet sticking around with a refresh as the next 2013 Accord sedan.

ILX - TLX - RLX will be the three Acura sedans of the near future.

11. 04-21-2012 07:51 PM #81

The US Audi A3 has a TDI option. Also it has an AWD option which the ILX and CT200H do not have.

04-21-2012 07:58 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by 50fridge View Post
      The US Audi A3 has a TDI option. Also it has an AWD option which the ILX and CT200H do not have.
      A3 sedan/A4 sedan since we are discussing the ILX.

13. 04-21-2012 08:06 PM #83
      A3 sedan/A4 sedan since we are discussing the ILX.
      Audi has not said what engines they are doing. I am guessing they will have a gas option and diesel option since the current Audi A3 TDI sells pretty well.

Vehicles
      a 1966 air cooled VW
      04-21-2012 08:43 PM #84
      say what you want about the Verano, and I'm not really a fan of it myself, but Honda is delusional if they don't think it's a direct competitor for the ILX. They're the same size and price for crap's sake, and were designed with pretty much the same intent.
      Quote Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
      You bitches fight more than a bunch of high school girls at the clearance rack of the local Forever 21.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Japanese dicks are too small to trip over

15. Member
      Vehicles
      specialized hardrock 29
      04-21-2012 09:59 PM #85
      it's ok looking. but no way in hell i would spend 30k to buy a small 4banger with 'ok' mpg.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Fiat 500e, 2013 Ford Fusion Energi, 2004 Acura TSX
      04-21-2012 11:17 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by a2a4raddo View Post

The Lexus is a premium hatchback with great fuel economy. For less money i can go buy a VW Golf TDi which gets better highway mileage real world and offers more features for less money then the starting price of a CT. Very similiar to the argument you make as to why the ILX sucks. That said, the CT offers the same over the Golf that an ILX will offer over compacts from non luxury brands.

I'm still waiting to hear what this offers over the cheaper GLI, or the far superior Optima or Sonata.

The Optima, Sonata, and GLI are all either the same price with much better equipment, or cheaper with similar equipment.

This is such a meh car when every new car introduction should have some sort wow to it with either the feature content, design, powertrain, something!!

I mean what will Acura do when competitors introduce their cheaper cars that have more time to either move the bar on content or powertrain?

This is such a disappointment.

Hopefully Acura will wake up soon. The RLX has great specs but such a boring design. Now this. Their SUV's are the only thing keeping them somewhat competitive.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 GTI 24V VR6
      04-21-2012 11:34 PM #87
      It's by far the best looking Acura but that's really not saying much. Everyone else has pretty much hit on the problems. It's not bad but it's not class leading in any way or area. Sadly that pretty much sums up the situation that Honda finds itself in today.

18. 04-21-2012 11:38 PM #88
      Why would the first impression be that its "more of a Jetta replacement", and then go on to (correctly) note that it isn't a Jetta competitor?

19. 04-21-2012 11:40 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by MrKevkevL View Post
      I'd much rather have the new GLI over this. However, I'm looking forward to seeing the final production version of the new A3 sedan. May potentially be my next car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Breaking news: VW driver would rather have VW or fancier VW. More at 11!

20. 04-21-2012 11:42 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by TOMPASS View Post
      Why would the first impression be that its "more of a Jetta replacement", and then go on to (correctly) note that it isn't a Jetta competitor?
      The point they are making is that it replaces the Jetta from when it used to be a good car.

21. 04-21-2012 11:48 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by DLucas View Post
      Really sad how far Acura has fallen. Not only is the ILX pretty mediocre as a vehicle, the pricing puts it in the company of WAY smarter purchases... I think universally, the Hyundai Sonata Limited is priced right on top of the ILX variants, and IMO you get a much nicer vehicle - and its at least a size-above. Acura may not want to say so, but the Buick Verano IS a competitor and (as others said) pretty much blows the ILX out...
      And Ford builds plenty of cars that have more features and are cheaper than some BMWs. Still plenty of peoPle that would never buy a Ford over a BMW.

Hyundai builds a good car for a good price, that appeal to value conscious people who don't buy premium brand cars in the first place - misers don't pay extra for badges.

Vehicles
      2013 Range Rover Evoque
      04-21-2012 11:52 PM #92
      I agree TCL seems to be on a Honda/Acura hate bandwagon lately, but I think the dislike for the ILX might be founded. You stated the main issue - the TSX is a great car. The ILX is replacing it for nearly the same money. That's the problem!

23. Semi-n00b
      04-21-2012 11:56 PM #93
      Sat in this car at the Toronto car show in February. It's an improvement over the Acura CSX and has inoffensive styling. But they priced this car thousands too high. They are trying to position this car as an alternative to the A3, etc. I just don't see it. Like others have said, the Verano is a more apt comparison.

24. 04-22-2012 01:35 AM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      This is a candidate for my next car.
      I bought one CPO. Adore it. Only complaint is that it rattles in certain areas. The ELS covers most of it up.

04-22-2012 02:18 AM #95
      What the... You can't get the technology pkg with the 2.4l? And it's only about $800 cheaper than the base TSX.

The price range for the ILX ranges from $25,900 to $34,400. While the TSX 2.4L ranges from $30,010 to $33,110. The overlap in pricing is interesting.

Me, I interior room is last on my priority so I'll take the ILX 2.4L. The ILX is a more compact package with the same(?) drivetrain as in the TSX. At least with the 2.4L, picking one out is simple as it gets. Just pick the color.

Is Acura gonna eventually phase out the 2.4L TSX?

04-22-2012 02:33 AM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by dcmix5 View Post

Acura dressed up a Civic, made it different enough so "people" can't tell it still has a penis under the dress, and will now push it out from the vacuum they live in and wonder why no one likes it.
      That sentence also described the Integra to a T, and people didn't seem to mind them.
      Fires are the leading cause of fires.

04-22-2012 10:30 AM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post
      What the... You can't get the technology pkg with the 2.4l? And it's only about $800 cheaper than the base TSX.

Is Acura gonna eventually phase out the 2.4L TSX?
      Yes. The future is ILX - TLX - RLX.

And the 2.4 ILX is the only trim level I'd consider. Roughly the same power as the TSX but the car weighs less so with a few tweaks it could be a better performer.

Vehicles
      JB4 335xi, Prius
      04-22-2012 10:36 AM #98
      They're going to pick off a ton of people who want entry level lux. $25,900 for a Acura Sedan? They'll sell so many to teenage/sorority girls it won't be funny. The 3 series has been replaced. And honestly it's a great car. It's like the 1 series to the 3 series, people complaining that a loaded ILX is near TSX base money, well you get a lot more content. I don't think that's a logical argument. You can load a 3 series up to 5 series money but people still buy them.

I'd consider a 2.4 if you could get it with NAV for my wife.
      Quote Originally Posted by Internal Combustion View Post
      I called my wife with glee, she was very happy for me. I do believe I've won TCL.
      Yes I quote myself.

335- 12.2@115

Vehicles
      2013 Range Rover Evoque
      04-22-2012 12:02 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by Internal Combustion View Post
      people complaining that a loaded ILX is near TSX base money, well you get a lot more content.
      How so? The 2.0L premium gives you roughly the same features as a base TSX with 50 less hp.

Vehicles
      Porsche & Honda
      04-22-2012 12:29 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by GTRaavv View Post
      How so? The 2.0L premium gives you roughly the same features as a base TSX with 50 less hp.
      The ilx has more features then the TSX, Pandora, Pushbutton Start, Text Messages, etc to name a few.

That said, im not sure why anyone complains about the overlap in pricing. You see overlap in pricing with just about every luxury make. A loaded 1 series costs more then a base 3, a loaded 3 costs more then a base 5, a loaded c class costs more then a base e class, etc etc etc etc etc.....

Vehicles
      2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT
      04-22-2012 01:30 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gascan View Post
      That sentence also described the Integra to a T, and people didn't seem to mind them.
      Which generation Integra? All?
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

Vehicles
      '06 BMW Z4M Coupe, '13 Cadillac ATS 3.6 RWD
      04-22-2012 07:08 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by vwwtchr View Post
      I'm still waiting to hear what this offers over the cheaper GLI, or the far superior Optima or Sonata.

The Optima, Sonata, and GLI are all either the same price with much better equipment, or cheaper with similar equipment.

This is such a meh car when every new car introduction should have some sort wow to it with either the feature content, design, powertrain, something!!

I mean what will Acura do when competitors introduce their cheaper cars that have more time to either move the bar on content or powertrain?

This is such a disappointment.

Hopefully Acura will wake up soon. The RLX has great specs but such a boring design. Now this. Their SUV's are the only thing keeping them somewhat competitive.
      We will be buying a car for my wife soon and she asked me about the Jetta GLI. She is driving a 11 year old Accord and wanted to know if a Jetta would be as reliable as a Honda product. I have owned 3 VW/Audi products (total of about 18 years) and based on my experiences and hers with her Accord I would have to say probably not. That is one of the most important features for her so the GLI is out. We don't have personal experience or know anyone that has owned a Optima or Sonata long term so that is also somewhat of an unknown.

04-22-2012 08:03 PM #103
      I'll let you guys know and post up some pictures of how the ILX is in person when it shows up at our lot. No ones really crazy or excited to see it show up, some people dont even know it even exists. Everyones excited for the NSX though. Which makes me believe Acura is doing all this on purpose to gather youth sales. Some mid 20something walks in to check out the NSX, walks out with a ILX

I cant help but think the ILX is just going to be a lexus hs 250h flop. IDK why though?
      Call me nuts but I feel like Acura should play around with different options instead, like making the TSX a convertible. Or some big sedan that'll really scream Luxury.

Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '14 GLI Autobahn
      04-22-2012 08:48 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by vwwtchr View Post

The Acura's also have HID's and remote start standard. And to get some of the standard items on the TSX / ILX premium you have to get the GLI Autobahn which is $28k with nav.

I'm not really sure we should compare these to the Sonata or Optima, those are more of camry and passat competitors and don't offer the same sportiness or driving dynamics of the Acura's.

FYI - I read on acurazine that the TSX is definitely NOT going away, the ILX will just be the new entry level sedan to compete more with the likes of cutesy Jetta types and offer a higher MPG car.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Fiat 500e, 2013 Ford Fusion Energi, 2004 Acura TSX
      04-22-2012 09:27 PM #105
      The Acura's also have HID's and remote start standard. And to get some of the standard items on the TSX / ILX premium you have to get the GLI Autobahn which is $28k with nav.

I'm not really sure we should compare these to the Sonata or Optima, those are more of camry and passat competitors and don't offer the same sportiness or driving dynamics of the Acura's.

FYI - I read on acurazine that the TSX is definitely NOT going away, the ILX will just be the new entry level sedan to compete more with the likes of cutesy Jetta types and offer a higher MPG car.
      Are you joking with these comments?

First you need the $3K premium option to get HID's, so your already at $30K with a 150hp screamer. Oh and navigation is another $2200, so now we're at $32K.

Or if you want the more performance model you're looking at $30K and no navi available.

Thinking this has more appeal than a loaded GLI, Optima etc is naive. This doesn't look premium, the specs don't sound special, and for the money many people will look elsewhere.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast