Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: IL 2013 Acura ILX First Drive

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      04-20-2012 10:41 PM #51
      07/08 TL Type S is one of the best looking sport sedans ever made. Who designed that and where are they now?

Vehicles
      F14 Tomcat
      04-20-2012 11:28 PM #52
      150 hp, 5 speed auto, and 28 mpg highway for $27k

I mean, it looks good, but the base car's powertrain is just plain behind the times. The hybrid seems like a decent package though.

Vehicles
      2010 CSG GTI, 2014 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2007 Dodge Dakota 4.7 (work)
      04-20-2012 11:51 PM #53
      For some reason, I thought this came with the engine from the Si. I want it a lot less now.
      Past: 1998 Accord V6 LX
      2007 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 2-24-11)
      2009 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 9-19-11)
      2003 Jetta GLS 2.slow (good riddance)

Vehicles
      2014 Cappuccino shawty, 2008 silver family thing
      04-21-2012 12:03 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Prail11 View Post
      I think this will be a strong seller for Acura personally.

People just like to hate on them because it's the 'cool' thing to do around here.
      yeah..some complaints involve the lack of LSD in the 2.4 ILX. Personally the 2nd gen TSX improves greatly though at some enthusiast expense. Same case is true for the RDX. It loses the SHAWD and "sporty", but thirsty turbo, in its place the NA'd VCM V6 delivers a 6 second 0-60 and legit 30+ mpg on the hwy in the AWD model at that. The retail price is high, but just about every mfg has raised prices (check out the A4 allroad thread)
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

TL;DR should be banned and changed to ID;CR or I'm dumb, can't read.

Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      04-21-2012 12:08 AM #55
      I think this will be the dream car among Asian ladies in Toronto... And I think Acura should be GLAD that it will become a Jetta competitor because NO ONE buy Audi A3 and Volvo S40 around here. Lexus CT is doing ok.

Acura, don't be like Saab and think their car can compete with Mercedes and BMW. See where they end up now...
      Last edited by Avus; 04-21-2012 at 12:15 AM.
      Windows Vista (32bit only)/7/8 "God Mode"
      - Create new folder on desktop
      - rename folder to the following:
      GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Vehicles
      2013 Civic Type-H
      04-21-2012 12:08 AM #56
      For some reason the first time I watched that video I thought they guy said a 201 hp 2.0 liter as in 8000rpm redline, guess I misheard

Vehicles
      RSX Type-S
      04-21-2012 01:42 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by GTRaavv View Post
      Personally I always thought the naming scheme of TL and TSX was confusing. Two sedans both starting with "T" (not like "T" meant anything in Acura's nomenclature),
      Actually the T in TL stands for Touring, and TL more specifically, stands for Touring Luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by dwagner88 View Post
      For some reason, I thought this came with the engine from the Si. I want it a lot less now.
      It does. The upgrade engine comes exclusively with the powertrain from the Civic Si with the 2.4 liter 201 hp engine and 6-speed manual.
      PSN: Silviatzero
      "I've got an idea for sweat shops: air conditioning! Problem solved."
      RSX-S

Vehicles
      Porsche & Honda
      04-21-2012 09:18 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by curvedinfinity View Post
      150 hp, 5 speed auto, and 28 mpg highway for $27k
      The base car gets 35MPG Highway (not 28).

Quote Originally Posted by InfinitiG View Post
      It does. The upgrade engine comes exclusively with the powertrain from the Civic Si with the 2.4 liter 201 hp engine and 6-speed manual.
      Not really. The Civic Si comes with a TSX powertrain, only adds an LSD. the ILX 2.4 also comes with a TSX powertrain....but unlike the Si...does not add LSD.

That said, im not sure why everyones panties are in a bunch. The majority of you would never buy an Acura, let alone an ILX. The car isn't bad, and relative to where the CT & A3 fall price wise...its cheaper. If this were a rebadged Civic like the TSX is a rebadged Accord...i would understand. But thats not really the case. the ILX is longer, wider, and lower then a Civic.

Is it a homerun? not at all...not without the new engines which are at least 1 my away. But untill then, if great lease programs carry the ilx like they do with many great selling luxury cars...it shouldnt sell any less then the TSX does. And for those of you who want a TSX...it will still be around for a while...as the ilx is not a TSX replacement.

Vehicles
      2013 Range Rover Evoque
      04-21-2012 09:24 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by InfinitiG View Post
      Actually the T in TL stands for Touring, and TL more specifically, stands for Touring Luxury.
      Didn't know that. Always thought the L in RL stood for Legend. Still it makes no sense to have 3 sedans and 2 of them start with T and 2 of them end with L.

10. Banned
      Shytcago, IL - hell hole of all hell holes
      Vehicles
      74 Subaru DL, 78 280Z,94 Sentra SER, 86 CRX Si, 86 Suzuki 700 Intruder (still own) 07 Fit (still own
      04-21-2012 09:32 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by GTRaavv View Post
      Didn't know that. Always thought the L in RL stood for Legend. Still it makes no sense to have 3 sedans and 2 of them start with T and 2 of them end with L.
      It's rare for car naming schemes to make sense in the first place. If anybody has me confused now it's the Germans, particularly BMW and Mercedes. It use to be easy to figure out the size of the engine under the hoods of their cars by just looking at the badges. But now you have something such as a Benz C250. Not too long ago that 250 would stand for 2500cc But now they stick a 1800cc engine in it? I still haven't heard 1 good explanation for this new name scheme of theirs.

Vehicles
      Turbocharged, AWD Volvo
      04-21-2012 09:44 AM #61
      With the Germans it's about marketing and brand positioning. 250/300/350 are a good spread in terms of providing the right feeling & are in the sweet spot when it comes to 'size' (how big the numbers are) and provide a status that the new engines would not (naming wise). Luxury car drivers don't want a C180 - sounds too cheap. Also, the Germans have traditionally used the top engine from the lower model as the base engine on the next level up, which helps in providing continuity to the brand.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013
      Supercars in the 80s and 90s were the pinnacle of automotive tech then, and supercars are the pinnacle of automotive tech now. What's changed is you--when you were a kid you looked forward, and now you're looking back.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 335i x-drive
      04-21-2012 09:56 AM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by gti5dr06 View Post
      yeah..some complaints involve the lack of LSD in the 2.4 ILX. Personally the 2nd gen TSX improves greatly though at some enthusiast expense. Same case is true for the RDX. It loses the SHAWD and "sporty", but thirsty turbo, in its place the NA'd VCM V6 delivers a 6 second 0-60 and legit 30+ mpg on the hwy in the AWD model at that. The retail price is high, but just about every mfg has raised prices (check out the A4 allroad thread)
      The RDX still has AWD. It's just a detuned version from the prior generation.

Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '14 GLI Autobahn
      04-21-2012 09:58 AM #63
      It will sell well. Not sure if anyone's sat in an Acura lately, but the interiors and materials are darn nice. I had really preferred the TL SH-AWD's interior over my Infiniti. It looks like the pricing will be similar to a Jetta TDI, so for those looking for MPG's this will be a competitive choice based on the luxury aspect. I have no doubt it will be a nicer interior than the Jetta.

The nice thing about Acuras in general, is it's a ton of car for the price. Short of nav and other advanced tech bits (that you get with the tech package), they come standard with most options you're hung out to pay for with the other premium brands. Auto dim rearview's and side mirrors, bluetooth, heated seats, Xenons (and great ones at that), etc. all standard on the TSX. For a car you can get for under $300/month that's a hell of a deal.

Acura is not class leading in most categories (especially in performance), but when actually sitting down and figuring out the purchase price / financing they are an excellent deal for a great interior and pretty good driving dynamics.
      Last edited by jepva; 04-21-2012 at 10:00 AM.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 335i x-drive
      04-21-2012 09:58 AM #64
      I'm also curious what cars the ILX competes with that everyone is saying it's so inferior to.

Vehicles
      '06 BMW Z4M Coupe, '13 Cadillac ATS 3.6 RWD
      04-21-2012 10:01 AM #65
      It isn't just a rebadged Civic. Compared to the Civic it is/has
      :

• Longer
      • Wider
      • Lower
      • Dual Climate
      • More HP and Torque than standard Civic in Automatic format
      • More Sound deadening
      • Better interior
      • Different Exterior, I think better
      • Upgraded suspension
      • Quicker steering

Since none of us has driven it, it is difficult to say whether this is enough but I could see people like my wife wanting one (buying a car in the next 6-9 months). Partly for the Acura name and the reliability with the 11 year old Accord she has. Getting her to look at a Buick isn't going to happen.

04-21-2012 10:42 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by dmorrow View Post
      It isn't just a rebadged Civic. Compared to the Civic it is/has
      :

• Longer So?
      • Wider So?
      • Lower So?
      • Dual Climate Ok I'll give you this. Verano does not along with most compact cars. Midsizers costing less have the dual climate thou.
      • More HP and Torque than standard Civic in Automatic format So does the cheaper Verano and many compact cars
      • More Sound deadening So does the cheaper Verano
      • Better interior Looks about on par with cars already better than the Civic and still is behind the game on features
      • Different Exterior, I think better Agree with this at least
      • Upgraded suspension Offered on a number of cheaper compacts as well
      • Quicker steering test reviews will tell this in time... but on 0-60 in 9.2 second car quicker steering is really a plus..?

Since none of us has driven it, it is difficult to say whether this is enough but I could see people like my wife wanting one (buying a car in the next 6-9 months). Partly for the Acura name and the reliability with the 11 year old Accord she has. Getting her to look at a Buick isn't going to happen.
      It has an Acura badge on it. That is really the only thing I can see this car has going for it. Dual zone auto climate and an Acura badge.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Vehicles
      Porsche & Honda
      04-21-2012 11:11 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      It has an Acura badge on it. That is really the only thing I can see this car has going for it. Dual zone auto climate and an Acura badge.
      The same could be said about just about any german luxury car compared to japanese luxury cars......and just about any entry level luxury car (german or japanese) compared to non luxury brands.

I see much more then dual climate and an Acura badge going for it. The ILDX will likely be one of the most if not thee most refined compact on the market. Smooth suspension, and over 10DB quiter cabin then a Civic...which means it will be even quieter then a Verano. It also gets better fuel economy then a Verano 35mpg vs 32mpg. the more powerfull 2.4L 6MT is right up there at 31MPG. .....and this is with the Old Archaic engines which are being replaced very soon.

Add great dealer service, loaner cars, honda reliability, acura warranty, very high resale value (making cost of ownership low) and then look at what Audi & Lexus offer in this segment...and the ILX doesnt look bad at all. Especially in a few months when Acura puts out great lease programs for the car.

Vehicles
      2013 Candy White GLI Autobahn w/ Nav
      04-21-2012 11:14 AM #68
      people will buy because Acura, nothing special in terms of car value though.

I would rather buy a used TSX

04-21-2012 11:21 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by a2a4raddo View Post
      The same could be said about just about any german luxury car compared to japanese luxury cars......and just about any entry level luxury car (german or japanese) compared to non luxury brands.

I see much more then dual climate and an Acura badge going for it. The ILDX will likely be one of the most if not thee most refined compact on the market. Smooth suspension, and over 10DB quiter cabin then a Civic...which means it will be even quieter then a Verano. It also gets better fuel economy then a Verano 35mpg vs 32mpg. the more powerfull 2.4L 6MT is right up there at 31MPG. .....and this is with the Old Archaic engines which are being replaced very soon.

Add great dealer service, loaner cars, honda reliability, acura warranty, very high resale value (making cost of ownership low) and then look at what Audi & Lexus offer in this segment...and the ILX doesnt look bad at all. Especially in a few months when Acura puts out great lease programs for the car.
      So Acura is alone in these wonderful dealer services and warranty?

So kind of like my former CR-Z Honda/Acura gets yet another car the loyal few appreciate while most other buyers are just left scratching the head wondering why. Just what the Acura brand needs......

Vehicles
      Porsche & Honda
      04-21-2012 11:53 AM #70
      So Acura is alone in these wonderful dealer services and warranty?

So kind of like my former CR-Z Honda/Acura gets yet another car the loyal few appreciate while most other buyers are just left scratching the head wondering why. Just what the Acura brand needs......
      Nop, they are most def. not alone...but like other Luxury makes...it is an incentive and luxury you get with owning a luxury make. Better dealer service and better warranty. Many people value these things,...which is exactly why all luxury makes offer more then non luxury makes.

No, not really. You are just a disgruntled former CR-Z owner...and thats pretty obvious with any post you make in any honda or acura related thread. You find things to nit pick about. Its really that simple.

And if you are really scratching your head, wondering why Acura is offering the ILX....i dont know what to tell yah buddy. That said, im puzzled as to why you arnt bashing cars like the A3 or the Lexus CT? They cost more then similiar cars from non luxury brands and in base trims offer less features.

04-21-2012 12:04 PM #71
      Thanks. Meanwhile I'd paint a generic stroke and call you a Honda/Acura nut buster.

Lexus CT is a premium hybrid with a hybrid system that suits real world drivers better than Honda. The Honda assist hybrid system seems nice until you consider the fact you can get the same improved MPGs and low end torque from a diesel. But since I don't think we will see a diesel A3 or A4 anytime soon then Honda will be alone in offering what may be a fun to drive hybrid compact luxury sedan.... for the very small market of buyers who care about that.

Honda/Acura deserves nit picking else how will the brand improve if all we do is sing praise and buy up any crap with a badge.

I understand exactly why Honda wants the ILX. Get young buyers in the family early and keep them there. Fine by me, but I have nothing good to say about these buyers. I'll wait for real test reviews to continue on that. Reviews so far don't sound very promising however.

The ILX is good enough. Ok. Acceptable. Where is the pride in such a car. Forgive me for being critical of a car that is just plain ok.

Vehicles
      Porsche & Honda
      04-21-2012 12:35 PM #72
      Thanks. Meanwhile I'd paint a generic stroke and call you a Honda/Acura nut buster.

Lexus CT is a premium hybrid with a hybrid system that suits real world drivers better than Honda. The Honda assist hybrid system seems nice until you consider the fact you can get the same improved MPGs and low end torque from a diesel. But since I don't think we will see a diesel A3 or A4 anytime soon then Honda will be alone in offering what may be a fun to drive hybrid compact luxury sedan.... for the very small market of buyers who care about that.

Honda/Acura deserves nit picking else how will the brand improve if all we do is sing praise and buy up any crap with a badge.

I understand exactly why Honda wants the ILX. Get young buyers in the family early and keep them there. Fine by me, but I have nothing good to say about these buyers. I'll wait for real test reviews to continue on that. Reviews so far don't sound very promising however.

The ILX is good enough. Ok. Acceptable. Where is the pride in such a car. Forgive me for being critical of a car that is just plain ok.
      Thats fine, Call me whatever you'd like. A Honda nutswinger? not in the least. I am a fan of the brand as a whole however. A big fan at that. Their history/heritage, their product over the years...from my Honda lawnmowere which starts on the first crank everytime to my World Superbike Championship winning Honda RC51 V-Twin, to the worlds fastest and most fuel efficient private jet, to the ever advancing Honda Asimo, to all the great cars they have built over the years. That said, i dont drive a Honda. I drive whatever fits my personal life best at the time of purchase. That could be a Honda, a Volkswagen, or BMW.

The Lexus is a premium hatchback with great fuel economy. For less money i can go buy a VW Golf TDi which gets better highway mileage real world and offers more features for less money then the starting price of a CT. Very similiar to the argument you make as to why the ILX sucks. That said, the CT offers the same over the Golf that an ILX will offer over compacts from non luxury brands.

It is 100% fine to critisize a car. but to critisize one car, yet praise another which can be critisized for the exact same things make you look like a disgruntled honda hater. Someone whos opinion i would take with a grain of salt. Having not sat in an ILX or driven one along with its competition....lets just leave it at that.

Lastly, there is no pride in such a car. But then again, i don't see pride in any entry level luxyr car. They are just that.....a cheap entry level car. Pride i see in flagship and halo cars...as well as cars that are the best of the best amongst their competitors...but today...there are not cars that are the best of the best, regardless of brand. They all do soemthing better then the next. They are all best at one thing but not at another. Many are a jack of all trades, master of none.

Vehicles
      '06 BMW Z4M Coupe, '13 Cadillac ATS 3.6 RWD
      04-21-2012 12:52 PM #73
      That's why there are many choices of cars to buy and everyone doesn't buy the same car.

Have you ever driven and/or sat in the ILX? If not, how can you say the Verano is any better? At best a weak comparison of "on paper" data comparison.

24. Member
      04-21-2012 12:55 PM #74
      Other than the NSX, the 3rd Generation TL was their best looking car. Everytime I see a 3rd gen next to a 4th gen, I scratch my head and wonder what the hell were they thinking. The design has been down hill since then

Vehicles
      2014 Cappuccino shawty, 2008 silver family thing
      04-21-2012 01:21 PM #75
      such a lack of originality on the TCL, every thread involving acura requires rule 1: posting of a blue type-s TL, some comment about going downhill and how (insert your favorite up and coming automaker) is out to eat its lunch. In this thread it appears to be the verano.
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

TL;DR should be banned and changed to ID;CR or I'm dumb, can't read.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast