Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: >> ORT // Feeler // Special Production AirLift Mk5/6 Slam XL's <<

1. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      M3
      04-20-2012 09:57 AM #1

We thought it was about time we made a thread dedicated to this idea that we're kicking around. When we were out at AirLift in March, we discussed the idea of having them produce a Mk5/6 Slam XL kit very similar to their new Subaru GD/GDF kit. These 'special production' units would include:

• BC Racing Fully Threaded Bodies
      • Dampening Adjustment
      • Camber Plates

The only concern/drawback/hangup is that these have the possibility of not 'laying out'. In our minds, it's really a no-brainer. We'd gladly trade laying out for the ability to adjust camber and dampening. Not to mention have a fully threaded coilover body. Bear in mind, this does not mean that they won't go extremely low, it just means you might not be able to put your subframe on the ground. Alas, we're not here to please ourselves or sell what we really like, we're here to support the community and the enthusiast market. We're looking for input, suggestions, insight, feedback, etc. Please also note that this isn't a definite, this is merely a feeler to gauge interest.

Thanks

Vehicles
      01001011010011110 1010010
      04-20-2012 10:03 AM #2
      I'm interested in more info. Like projected length of the strut, length of the threaded portion, and distance between top bag plate to the top of the camber plate.
      "The Vile Bunch" ll v2lab ll eemilitiatv ll Stay Orange.
      2008 Mkv sold; 2003 yellow Skittle-sold; 2009 G8 GT-sold; 1991 Talon TSI- fully built, HTA3582@30psi 600+awhp

Vehicles
      MKIV Jetta, MKV GTI
      04-20-2012 10:03 AM #3
      I'd be in, I'd love to get some front camber. Dampening would be awesome as well, as my rear shocks are dampening adjustable.
      Lower-IT
      // DROP // DRAG // DESTROY
      OpenRoadTuning

04-20-2012 10:12 AM #4
      wow this so sick but i need to know how low they really go

Vehicles
      12 CC R Line, 06 Ruckus
      04-20-2012 10:17 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by BigMeecH View Post
      wow this so sick but i need to know how low they really go

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      04-20-2012 10:20 AM #6
      that would be a sick setup.

Vehicles
      MK6 GLI
      04-20-2012 10:51 AM #7
      this would be awesome....but i still have my brand new airlift xl fronts waiting to go on my mk6 in a few weeks...

Vehicles
      MKIV Jetta, MKV GTI
      04-20-2012 11:02 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by gti.jon View Post
      this would be awesome....but i still have my brand new airlift xl fronts waiting to go on my mk6 in a few weeks...
      yeah, i just put some in my car a few weeks ago too, it'd be worth the upgrade for me i'd think, i could always sell the xl's to make up some of it.
      Lower-IT
      OpenRoadTuning

Vehicles
      mkiv jetta RIP, mkv gti... loooong gone... 69 Triumph (it's euro)... 29 roadster (better than a vw)
      04-20-2012 11:18 AM #9
      I dont know man... after rocking the mason tech's with the relocated bearing and threaded coilover body, i dont think its really worth it. the camber plates are an awesome idea that many have wanted for a long time, but honestly, i havent TOUCHED the height of the coils (lowest setting) since i bought them in '08 and i doubt many will. Not to mention, that locking ring is one more thing that takes away a couple of options as far as wheels/offsets go. if i were to change the height of my struts, i cant rock certain wheels/offsets and have to figure out stupid combos in order to get everything to work (if im running anything EXCEPT spun all the way down)... mine do have dampening adjustment which i LOVE, so thats also a nice thing to throw in...
      so, yeah man, do it all... just dont even bother with the coil fab. just build a solid strut with the other 2 features.... just speaking from experience...
      a.k.a. vdub-ranger, a.k.a. ChrisTheBlackGuy, a.k.a. Banned....again
      MOD LIST: blood, sweat, tears... mixed with a tad bit of semen on the rear seat. what a night... My BOUGHT Thread
      My man-piece is longer than Mike Kippen's Build Thread... and just as pretty

10. Member
      Vehicles
      POS MKV
      04-20-2012 04:12 PM #10
      Interested....subscribed

11. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      M3
      04-20-2012 04:20 PM #11
      hey joey!

12. Banner Advertiser Will@BagRiders's Avatar
      Vehicles
      335i
      04-20-2012 04:28 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
      I dont know man... after rocking the mason tech's with the relocated bearing and threaded coilover body, i dont think its really worth it. the camber plates are an awesome idea that many have wanted for a long time, but honestly, i havent TOUCHED the height of the coils (lowest setting) since i bought them in '08 and i doubt many will. Not to mention, that locking ring is one more thing that takes away a couple of options as far as wheels/offsets go. if i were to change the height of my struts, i cant rock certain wheels/offsets and have to figure out stupid combos in order to get everything to work (if im running anything EXCEPT spun all the way down)... mine do have dampening adjustment which i LOVE, so thats also a nice thing to throw in...
      so, yeah man, do it all... just dont even bother with the coil fab. just build a solid strut with the other 2 features.... just speaking from experience...
      They would already be threaded by default as the bodies are a special Air Lift design produced by BC Racing. BC only produces struts with fully threaded bodies so if Air Lift chooses to go through with this limited run, they would have all three features.

The threaded Mason Tech struts were built off of an off-the-shelf coilover. This is why they had to be threaded all the way down. The new Air Lift struts are designed specifically to be paired with air springs (unlike the old threaded Mason Techs).
      - Call us at: 844 . 404 . 7344 - Email us at: sales@bagriders.com - - // - - We're open: Monday - Friday 9:00 - 5:00 Eastern -

Vehicles
      01001011010011110 1010010
      04-20-2012 04:32 PM #13
      Just find out a projected price, and I'll start piling my pennies
      "The Vile Bunch" ll v2lab ll eemilitiatv ll Stay Orange.
      2008 Mkv sold; 2003 yellow Skittle-sold; 2009 G8 GT-sold; 1991 Talon TSI- fully built, HTA3582@30psi 600+awhp

14. Member
      Vehicles
      POS MKV
      04-20-2012 04:53 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@ORT View Post
      hey joey!
      Oh hey, my car is still airless I would love to be a tester!!

Vehicles
      MKIV Jetta, MKV GTI
      04-20-2012 04:54 PM #15
      Lower-IT
      OpenRoadTuning

16. Member
      Vehicles
      3.6 4mo, 9k Aero
      04-20-2012 04:59 PM #16
      Not that I'd be interested (you know why) but what about Just XL's with camber plates? Could that not work? Don't get me wrong having them built around BC's and threaded bodies and dampening adjustment is cool and all, but Air-rex already kind of makes that. What about a fixed strut dampening adjustible, and camber plates?

Edit: Apparently I suck at reading. I have objections to threaded bodies for the same reasons. I've had BOC, and I've had the fully thread MT's too (without bearing relocate) and its always a compromise between wheel fitment and having the bag low enough to nearly lay out. Besides, as we know having the bag lower does not necessarily mean you go lower. You could put the bag higher in the total length of the strut with a bag that compresses more and achieve the same thing, and never fight with wheel fitment. I may be giving away too many secrets. I'll be quiet now.
      Last edited by bgsapc; 04-20-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Vehicles
      MKIV Jetta, MKV GTI
      04-20-2012 05:20 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by bgsapc View Post
      Not that I'd be interested (you know why) but what about Just XL's with camber plates? Could that not work? Don't get me wrong having them built around BC's and threaded bodies and dampening adjustment is cool and all, but Air-rex already kind of makes that. What about a fixed strut dampening adjustible, and camber plates?

Edit: Apparently I suck at reading. I have objections to threaded bodies for the same reasons. I've had BOC, and I've had the fully thread MT's too (without bearing relocate) and its always a compromise between wheel fitment and having the bag low enough to nearly lay out. Besides, as we know having the bag lower does not necessarily mean you go lower. You could put the bag higher in the total length of the strut with a bag that compresses more and achieve the same thing, and never fight with wheel fitment. I may be giving away too many secrets. I'll be quiet now.
      Mark, it was discussed in another thread, due to the design of the airlift upper mount, its super close to the bag, and won't allow you pivoting of the top.

That's a super ****ty explanation lol but yeah...
      Lower-IT
      OpenRoadTuning

18. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      M3
      04-20-2012 05:21 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Will@BagRiders View Post

The threaded Mason Tech struts were built off of an off-the-shelf coilover. This is why they had to be threaded all the way down. The new Air Lift struts are designed specifically to be paired with air springs (unlike the old threaded Mason Techs).
      Bingo.

The AirLift struts would be revalved to be paired with an air spring and not a traditional coil spring.

Joey, I'll let you know what happens!

19. Member
      Vehicles
      3.6 4mo, 9k Aero
      04-20-2012 05:23 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawn_Mower View Post
      Mark, it was discussed in another thread, due to the design of the airlift upper mount, its super close to the bag, and won't allow you pivoting of the top.

That's a super ****ty explanation lol but yeah...
      Well, I don't normally venture over here. I came to look at something else. So there. But thats an easy fix, don't make it super close. All it'd probably take is an 1/8"

20. Member
      Vehicles
      3.6 4mo, 9k Aero
      04-20-2012 05:27 PM #20
      Bingo.

The AirLift struts would be revalved to be paired with an air spring and not a traditional coil spring.

Alright alright, I retract all my objections.

I just think that fully threaded bodies are always a compromise between low and wheel clearance. Some one who was interested in a high performance track ready big turbo GTI might find wide wheels/tires difficult to fit and still air out even sort of low.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      POS MKV
      04-20-2012 08:10 PM #21

Vehicles
      mkiv jetta RIP, mkv gti... loooong gone... 69 Triumph (it's euro)... 29 roadster (better than a vw)
      04-20-2012 08:38 PM #22
      Well, that's definitely nice to know... but honestly, I still dont see the advantage in the threaded body... Not trying to sharp shoot you guys, I'm all about innovation, just from a consumer/marketing standpoint I don't really see the juice being worth the squeeze... Dampening control and camber are sweet; just don't see the POINT in a threaded body...
      What kind of bag are you guys thinking of running on the struts?
      MOD LIST: blood, sweat, tears... mixed with a tad bit of semen on the rear seat. what a night... My BOUGHT Thread

23. 04-20-2012 09:05 PM #23
      would buy in a heartbeat....subscribed!

Vehicles
      MKIV Jetta, MKV GTI
      04-23-2012 10:41 AM #24
      bump for more interest.
      Lower-IT
      OpenRoadTuning

25. Banner Advertiser Will@BagRiders's Avatar
      Vehicles
      335i
      04-23-2012 11:02 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
      Well, that's definitely nice to know... but honestly, I still dont see the advantage in the threaded body... Not trying to sharp shoot you guys, I'm all about innovation, just from a consumer/marketing standpoint I don't really see the juice being worth the squeeze... Dampening control and camber are sweet; just don't see the POINT in a threaded body...
      What kind of bag are you guys thinking of running on the struts?
      When you set a ride height (a height that you are going to have the vehicle aligned to, that you will use the majority of the time) you can either set the bags based on:

A) The handling characteristics / ride quality that you desire

B) The height that you desire

Without a way of changing the overall strut length independently of air spring pressure, you can only choose A or B. The downside is, you might find that the perfect 'sweet spot' pressure that you would ideally like to align your car to doesn't give you the look (fitment, ride height etc.) that you want.

With a threaded body, you get to choose both A and B. You first determine the handling characteristics and ride quality that you want, write down the air spring pressures and then move on to step B, setting the desired strut height which will allow you to achieve the look that you want.

At the end of the process you return to your previously determined ride pressures and dial in the dampening settings to your liking.
      Last edited by Will@BagRiders; 04-23-2012 at 11:09 AM.
      - Call us at: 844 . 404 . 7344 - Email us at: sales@bagriders.com - - // - - We're open: Monday - Friday 9:00 - 5:00 Eastern -

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 MkV GTI
      04-23-2012 04:45 PM #26
      interested in the camber plate struts!

Vehicles
      MKIII VR6, Tiguan SEL
      04-23-2012 07:35 PM #27
      When you set a ride height (a height that you are going to have the vehicle aligned to, that you will use the majority of the time) you can either set the bags based on:

Without a way of changing the overall strut length independently of air spring pressure, you can only choose A or B. The downside is, you might find that the perfect 'sweet spot' pressure that you would ideally like to align your car to doesn't give you the look (fitment, ride height etc.) that you want.

With a threaded body, you get to choose both A and B. You first determine the handling characteristics and ride quality that you want, write down the air spring pressures and then move on to step B, setting the desired strut height which will allow you to achieve the look that you want.

At the end of the process you return to your previously determined ride pressures and dial in the dampening settings to your liking.

This is getting really dialed in, and I like it. But for me, I'm happy with the XL's I have (they ride great at 40 psi). Like mentioned by others, the camber and dampening is the most intriguing part to me.

If I didn’t just buy some XL's, or I really want to track my car these would be 1st choice. Provided the price is in the same ball park.
      -=MyMK3=-

IG: @Kellen_

Vehicles
      MK4 R32 and MK6 GTI
      04-23-2012 09:25 PM #28
      Interested.

Vehicles
      2009 GTI DSG
      04-23-2012 10:01 PM #29
      i would buy a set.
      No more Volkswagen
      S4 RX7

30. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      M3
      04-24-2012 12:03 PM #30
      Thank you to everyone who took time to respond and leave feedback! These type of things do not go unnoticed. We're keeping a running list of questions as well as interested parties for this special project. Hopefully, we can convince AirLift to actually put these into production in the near future!

Vehicles
      04-24-2012 02:13 PM #31

Sounds great man... i just find the dampening to take care of all of that on my set up, especially if the dampening is dialed in on the rear shocks... but hey, im only one in thousands. hopefully you guys sell a lot of these! I'll wait around and see how they look on other people's rides at different settings. im in LOVE with the camber adjustment

32. Member
      04-24-2012 08:29 PM #32
      Would like to see these get made also!
      Quote Originally Posted by boradie sucht View Post
      lol yea ive seen those, i dont understand the fascination with giant ass ****ing stickers on the front windsheild in the 'scene'
      IG: @andyp666

H2Oi MKV GTG

Vehicles
      06(AUDI)A3
      04-24-2012 11:49 PM #33
      I could be down for these as well...I am already rocking the airlift performance front struts and the dampening is pretty key.

I would be interested

Two questions...how much dampening adjustment and would there still be sway bar mounts?
      Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S Thompson
      I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
      My IMDb resume...Sounds I've recorded

Vehicles
      06 GTI UM Tuned
      04-25-2012 08:00 PM #34
      i hope that when i finally go air these are available hint hint andrew hint hint

35. 04-25-2012 10:45 PM #35
      Andrew have you ever thought about just selling AirRex? I can connect you with Forjworks if interested. What you're looking to do sounds exactly like AirRex. I'm the first MKVI on them and love them now that they're laying frame. I currently run on the softest setting because it's my daily commuter/family car. But did run 3 up front and 2 in the back. It was pretty stiff. The front camber is great as well I believe I'm at -3.5. Honestly was the thing that sold me.
      Lmk I'd be glad to set you guys up.
      I'll get some pics of how they sit tucking 17x9 et25 up front.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast