Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hope Saab figures out the parts situation soon

1. 04-20-2012 10:48 AM #1
      Personally, I've not been affected. I've been able to source OEM parts from various online sites as well as a few dealers around the country. However, when I see a story like this, it makes me sad. Insurance totaled this guy's beautiful Turbo X, one of the first delivered, because not all the replacement parts could be sourced.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=231109

However, another member in the same thread was able to get his Turbo X repaired, so it's hit or miss. I don't think things will end well if I ever have a fender bender

Vehicles
      2004.5 GLI
      04-20-2012 10:49 AM #2
      I've always wanted a Turbo X
      Add me on FB and follow me on Instagram! | #TPG | #FLOSSfilthy | #V2LAB |

Always looking for cars in the NC/VA area for feature shoots! PM me!

04-20-2012 10:50 AM #3
      Sad, but we've known this was coming for a long time. Insurance rates must be going through the roof for newer Saabs?
      1987 Mercedes 190E 16v Cosworth
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

4. 04-20-2012 10:53 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by zhenya00 View Post
      Sad, but we've known this was coming for a long time. Insurance rates must be going through the roof for newer Saabs?
      I have no account of rates on the new models. However, full coverage on my SC is less than my wife's Caddy and less than the Honda it replaced.

Vehicles
      Facehugger twofitty
      04-20-2012 10:55 AM #5
      Really......

Because I thought parts for models like the 9-3 were supposed to be easily available and the Saab parts business still steaming strong even without the brand
      Past rides:
      Volkswagen GTI
      Honda CR-Z
      Honda Civic Coupe
      Your mom's Ford Windstar

Vehicles
      '14 Beetle 'Vert
      04-20-2012 11:01 AM #6
      If it was my car (no possible chance I'd ever sully my garage with another Saab, because I have much better sense, but I digress, so go with it), and if it was totaled, I'd fall to my knees and thank my preferred deity, snatch the check out of the adjuster's hand, run-not-walk out of the office, and go buy me a real car with the money... Why, especially now, would anyone keep a Saab? This situation will just keep getting worse and worse and worse for owners...

7. 04-20-2012 11:11 AM #7
      Bankruptcy proceedings are still ongoing and last Monday was the last day for suitors to submit their bids. That said, I think there is still hope for the parts pipeline. But it's the "meantime" that blows for current owners

8. 04-20-2012 11:12 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by mawingo View Post
      Personally, I've not been affected. I've been able to source OEM parts from various online sites as well as a few dealers around the country. However, when I see a story like this, it makes me sad. Insurance totaled this guy's beautiful Turbo X, one of the first delivered, because not all the replacement parts could be sourced.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=231109

However, another member in the same thread was able to get his Turbo X repaired, so it's hit or miss. I don't think things will end well if I ever have a fender bender
      After reading thru that I'm guessing there's more to the story... FWIW, a neighbor succumbed (heh) and actually bought a new SAAB this spring. I know, it's Fairfax County and all that, but he paid just over 50% of MSRP (I've seen the paperwork) and his insurance (SF) seemed OK w/it, and has an aftermarket warranty. His reasoning was "for that kind of $, why not?", and he's got a valid point.

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA
      04-20-2012 11:15 AM #9
      I find it incredibly hard to believe that 3 or 4 calls to a salvage yard could not have turned up a headlamp and bumper cover that could be stripped and repainted black. Insurance companies often use second had, used parts in their quotes. I think this is more a case of the company wanting to get a liability off of their spreadsheet. I would love to come across this car in a yard and pick it clean.

Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      04-20-2012 11:32 AM #10
      Hopefully my 02 isn't a problem.

Then again, if it gets hit, it would probably be a total either way.
      flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

04-20-2012 11:40 AM #11
      The guy estimated there's $7000-8000 worth of damage. Apparently there was some internal damage we can't see underneath the cracked bumper and headlight. I never knew Saabs were made of paper mache.
      2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE
      04-20-2012 11:44 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Yo Teach View Post
      The guy estimated there's $7000-8000 worth of damage. Apparently there was some internal damage we can't see underneath the cracked bumper and headlight. I never knew Saabs were made of paper mache.
      impact could have damaged the intercooler, charge piping, reservoirs, coolant lines, etc. there could easily be 5k in damage there. good body work alone will run a couple grand, plus the parts.
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

Vehicles
      1990 Olds Delta 88, 1986 Pontiac Parisienne Safari
      04-20-2012 11:52 AM #13
      Even if Saab never builds another part, this situation will eventually level out. Right now there are a lot of late-model Saabs on the road, and very few in junkyards. Once they start to get totaled out in minor accidents because of parts availability problems, all those totaled cars will be stripped and build up an inventory of good used parts.

Remember, many body and trim parts get discontinued after 6-8 years, even for cars whose maker *didn't* go out of business. That is why the used parts business exists. You can still get used parts for a Daewoo or even a Merkur or Sterling if you're willing to spend some time searching.

-Andrew L
      "The whole economy is hinged on potholes." --Ray Magliozzi
      Hubcap Business and Pontiac Project, both on hold while I finish The House | Philly/NJ highways blog Windshield Time

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2 Miatas, 2 Saabs, & a G35 sedan
      04-20-2012 12:50 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by mawingo View Post
      However, when I see a story like this, it makes me sad. Insurance totaled this guy's beautiful Turbo X, one of the first delivered, because not all the replacement parts could be sourced.
      An insurance company doesn't have that latitude. They don't own the car. An owner can always negotiate repair practices and methods; even if it means accepting or acknowledging that used parts were part of the repair.

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T
      04-20-2012 01:42 PM #15
      Seems to be no big deal for our two 07 9-3s...parts seem to be available everywhere..heck I walked into the Saab dealership to get a new airshield that was damaged by ice, they had plenty in stock and I only paid 35 dollars. Plus we also had a fuel pump replaced under warranty in our other Saab just two weeks ago, and it took them one day to fix it. They had everything in stock.

04-20-2012 01:49 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Boogety Boogety View Post
      If it was my car (no possible chance I'd ever sully my garage with another Saab, because I have much better sense, but I digress, so go with it), and if it was totaled, I'd fall to my knees and thank my preferred deity, snatch the check out of the adjuster's hand, run-not-walk out of the office, and go buy me a real car with the money... Why, especially now, would anyone keep a Saab? This situation will just keep getting worse and worse and worse for owners...
      I recently was in an accident with my 9-5, the total damage cost was a little over $5,000.
      I got a check to fix it.
      And I did.

I hope that irritates you somewhat. lol

edit: I hope '06 NBC doesnt stand for 'new beetle convertible' and you had the balls to write a post about buying real cars.
      I like cars.

17. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-20-2012 01:56 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Yo Teach View Post
      Seriously?

My E30 BMW was put in a small ditch by a friend who swerved to avoid a dog running across the road. Evident damage? Front spoiler was scuffed and pulled off its mounting points. LF wheel shoved back in the wheelwell due to a bent strut housing. Oil cooler damaged.

Total to repair? $5200 all in. For what amounted to ZERO damage to any visible body panels, grille, AC condenser, etc.

A 35mph travel speed + maybe 50ft of decel = a pretty healthy collision rate. I could see there being a lot of hidden damage.

I seem to recall Oliver's Mazda6 wagon being recently written off for similar looking front end damage.

Vehicles
      Weekday sports car, weekend sports car, and a suburban homeowner special
      04-20-2012 02:01 PM #18
      Did a Saab run over your dog or something?

19. 04-20-2012 02:08 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      An insurance company doesn't have that latitude. They don't own the car. An owner can always negotiate repair practices and methods; even if it means accepting or acknowledging that used parts were part of the repair.
      I think used anything for a Turbo X will be difficult, although now I guess this guy's vehicle can be added to the pot

Vehicles
      2013 WRX 2012 Mazda5
      04-20-2012 02:10 PM #20
      I am not a Saab hater - I am a former owner and I love the two I had.

I am not one of those people who is happy Saab died.

But, it's despicable that on here, just because they are super duper Saab fans, you had people giving out such bad and wrong advice concerning buying them. x1000

Vehicles
      '07 335i Sedan, '04 R32, '82 300D, '95 Jetta
      04-20-2012 02:14 PM #21
      So funny to me as I always grew up with SAAB meaning one thing only... Something Always About to Break. Weirded me out to see them seem to really come back into the swing these last ten years... then they go bankupt .

04-20-2012 02:23 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by arethirdytwo View Post
      So funny to me as I always grew up with SAAB meaning one thing only... Something Always About to Break. Weirded me out to see them seem to really come back into the swing these last ten years... then they go bankupt .
      Hmm, I grew up with SAAB meaning Some Ahole Actually Bought it, but yours is good too!

Vehicles
      Mustang GT
      04-20-2012 02:44 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by MatchStick View Post
      But, it's despicable that on here, just because they are super duper Saab fans, you had people giving out such bad and wrong advice concerning buying them. x1000
      Where was this? if you read that thread linked above I'm not sure how you came away with that. Most posters did not advise it and those who said basically "you can if you want, but" mentioned that you'd probably be on the hook for sourcing some used parts yourself. IF the guy wants to fix that car he may be able to find all the parts to complete it, with some leg work. If you just drop it off at the body shop of the insurance co.s choosing, and all they do is make a few phone calls to find parts, naturally its going to be a total loss.
      The good news: I gave up on being one of the cool kids!

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      04-20-2012 06:50 PM #24
      The parts suppliers will gladly build spare parts... in fact, many of them would love to see half the Saabs in accidents, because they make more money on "service order" parts then they do from selling to the OEM directly.

Some parts might be made by Saab in their factory tho - like main structural parts/company secrets they might not want someone to know, something they think they could build cheaper, or something so expensive to build they'd rather not deal with markups on that part... or something so complicated and important they want to have their hand on it... or a combination of these things.

It's possible not all parts will be available. Or will only be available when someone takes on that business - it's possible the supplier for say door panels has gone bankrupt and the tooling went back to Saab - who might not have the molding machines and assembly equipment to build them. Until they found a buyer who was ready to take on that service contract, no parts would be available...

25. Member
      04-20-2012 07:06 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by morecarsthanbrains View Post
      I find it incredibly hard to believe that 3 or 4 calls to a salvage yard could not have turned up a headlamp and bumper cover that could be stripped and repainted black. Insurance companies often use second had, used parts in their quotes. I think this is more a case of the company wanting to get a liability off of their spreadsheet. I would love to come across this car in a yard and pick it clean.
      I totally believe it. How many Turbo X's do you think are out there? Now how many of THOSE are sitting in a salvage yard? Now for a newer car to be sent to a junk yard it took a REALLY hard hit and I wouldn't be surprised if those are parts cars, but NOT panel cars. Turbo X's have a bespoke look not common to the rest of the 9-3 line. I can probably envision an insurance claims adjuster who knows cars going "Uggggh...I'll make a call or two, but this thing is going to be totaled"
      Jared
      Originally user 22691
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

Vehicles
      '14 Beetle 'Vert
      04-20-2012 07:23 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by AeroWagon View Post

edit: I hope '06 NBC doesnt stand for 'new beetle convertible' and you had the balls to write a post about buying real cars.
      Oh, but it does: That's our Toy. In our Dallas garage right now:
      '01 Honda Insight
      '06 NBC
      '10 MB SL550
      '10 MB R350
      '10 Honda Odyssey Touring
      '10 Audi A8

In our Anzio garage right now:
      '02 MB S-Class
      '08 MB S-Class

We buy and replace cars every two or three years, so I'm very familiar with "real" cars, having bought over 100 new ones since the late '60s. Our Saab was a huge piece of crap, and the dealership experience was execrable, with multiple, frustrating visits for warranty issues from the very first week: Happily dumped the POS less than a year later. Maybe someday you'll be fortunate enough to own more than one car from the 21st Century...

27. Member
      04-20-2012 07:25 PM #27
      all them words
      BB just owned us all and for quite some time.
      Jared
      Originally user 22691
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      04-20-2012 07:46 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      Pffft, you're not keeping up. We've had discussions about the garage in Italy and why someone would buy an R350 and an Odyssey. You've just missed them all. Tsk Tsk.
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      04-20-2012 07:49 PM #29

The lowest form of insult on TCL is to attack someone's car posted under their username.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesus is my pilot View Post
      Pro-abortionists are so rabid for the killing of babies they are willing to sacrifice the health and safety of women to make sure they continue.
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      04-20-2012 10:47 PM #30
      '01 Honda Insight
      '06 NBC
      '10 MB SL550
      '10 MB R350
      '10 Audi A8

'02 MB S-Class
      '08 MB S-Class

We buy and replace cars every two or three years, so I'm very familiar with "real" cars, having bought over 100 new ones since the late '60s. Our Saab was a huge piece of crap, and the dealership experience was execrable, with multiple, frustrating visits for warranty issues from the very first week: Happily dumped the POS less than a year later. Maybe someday you'll be fortunate enough to own more than one car from the 21st Century...
      We get it.
      You hate Saab.
      Stop bombarding every Saab post with your douchery.

I own a dealership and drive whatever I want. EVERYDAY.
      There. I'm cooler than you.

PS- I just bought a Saab 9-5 Wagon. It's an antique as it's a 2001, but I enjoy the utility and space for an errand car in my fleet of awesomeness.

PPS- I wouldn't admit to anyone, not even my Dr., that I drive/own a Honda Insight or NBC. Does your BELOVED even let you visit your balls?
      Last edited by MRVW00; 04-21-2012 at 10:27 AM.
      Tucker Max of the Gays and Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Slutty Gay Whoring and Muppet Sex of the People's Independent Republik of Offtopikstan
      RIP Cosmic TDI
      Quote Originally Posted by HideYoKids View Post
      Dann is More sassy than any man with facial hair should be. It's entertaining.

Vehicles
      2013 WRX 2012 Mazda5
      04-20-2012 11:16 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Bias_Ply View Post
      Where was this? if you read that thread linked above I'm not sure how you came away with that. Most posters did not advise it and those who said basically "you can if you want, but" mentioned that you'd probably be on the hook for sourcing some used parts yourself. IF the guy wants to fix that car he may be able to find all the parts to complete it, with some leg work. If you just drop it off at the body shop of the insurance co.s choosing, and all they do is make a few phone calls to find parts, naturally its going to be a total loss.
      weird. this thread was originally linked in here. it's what I was originally referring to. should have quoted the post I guess...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5557811

most "should I buy?" threads on here ask for/expect a certain amount of subjective input. I just found it to be really lacking in the thread I've linked.

odd the post that referenced this original thread was removed.
      Last edited by MatchStick; 04-24-2012 at 09:44 AM.

04-21-2012 01:03 AM #32
      '01 Honda Insight
      '06 NBC
      '10 MB SL550
      '10 MB R350
      '10 Audi A8

'02 MB S-Class
      '08 MB S-Class

I dont even know how to respond to this level of douchery lol.

I guess I better start with replacing all my cars with ones from the past decade, because everyone knows old cars are for poor people.

Not to say your entire list of cars is garbage, but you act like you just posted Jay Lenos car list and I could learn a thing or two about someone of your stature... get real.
      I like cars.

Vehicles
      a Lexus Hybrid
      04-21-2012 02:10 AM #33
      None of those cars he posted are reliable, hold resale, and only slightly better than the Saab.

34. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2006 Mazda6 GT wagon, 2007 Mazda3 GT sedan
      04-21-2012 08:37 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by AeroWagon View Post
      I dont even know how to respond to this level of douchery lol.
      You're the one who called him out in a very douchey way.

35. Senior Member SIR ANDROID184's Avatar
      Vehicles
      B6 COUPE & S2 ROCCO
      04-21-2012 08:43 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Oliver@triplezoom View Post
      You're the one who called him out in a very douchey way.
      I guess no matter how old or which rung on the social ladder, it still sucks to get
      owned
      CoolWater VAG Club D.H.S Dub Historical Society 1620Dubs
      the truth hides in plain sight if you know what to look for

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast