Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: It seats two. It's Laguna Seca Blue. My rust-free 1991 Mazda Miata.

Vehicles
      MTA
      04-20-2012 01:45 PM #1
      After an unsuccessful trip with 200HP4dr to see a terrible E30, I actually came upon an unbelievably clean Miata just down the road from me. I've been looking for a reasonably reliable, somewhat fuel savvy vehicle for a few weeks now and this seems to fit the bill. I just couldn't say no at this price and in this condition. And it's a TCL Darling!

1991 Mazda Miata in Laguna Seca Blue
      1.6L
      5 Speed manual
      Garaged every winter
      ALL maintenance and service records
      New clutch and top with glass window
      Mild suspension upgrades (cross brace and underbody stuff)
      Owned by an old woman and her adult son, who is in the local Miata club, since 1993.

Most attractive to me?

NO RUST-- the rarest feature on a car in North East Ohio.

I paid $3,400 after talking the owner down from $4,000. Rusty, abused examples go for $2500 here.

The Miata with my Audi. The Audi is going to be taken off the road to have some issues addressed. Rear wheel bearing, oil leak, brakes, etc. It'll be nice to have two vehicles when one is in the shop or on jack stands!

PO installed these aftermarket headlights. I like 'em.

The whole thing is getting a detail later tonight, including removal of the TERRIBLE fake wood trim.

The only body damage on the entire car:

And a trunk full of extra parts. Tonneau cover, bra, stock headlights, new pads and rotors...

New top with glass window:

It'll be undergoing a major detail over the next few days and I may have it looked over by my mechanic, just for peace of mind. The wheels are corroded, but I may be able to bring them back. If not, I'll likely respray them white or silver or just pick up a nicer set.

Any Miata advice is appreciated!

Last edited by 22AudiQ; 05-22-2012 at 01:54 AM.

2. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-20-2012 01:55 PM #2
      Awesome pickup! My '94 isn't in nearly as nice shape cosmetically speaking.

You'll have fun in that. The 1.6 is revvy in comparison to the 1.8.

If it has OEM dampers on it, they are shot. They don't last beyond about 50k. Something to think about. Refreshing the suspension--bushings, dampers--on any NA Miata and installing some sticky tires can totally transform the car.

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      04-20-2012 01:56 PM #3
      that looks really clean for a 91. Much better buy than that ratty E30. no miata advice from me, but did the PO bolt an aftermarket horn to the strut bar?

4. 04-20-2012 01:59 PM #4
      Nice find! I think it is cool that the previous owner gave you all the other items. Usually when I sell a car, I sell off the parts or rarely depending on the buyer, will include it.

5. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      1993 Mazda Miata (Own), 1991 Miata (Sold 2), 1965 Ford Mustang (Own), 1968 Jeep CJ5 (Own)
      04-20-2012 01:59 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by 22AudiQ View Post

1991 Mazda Miata in Laguna Seca Blue
      Congrats on the find!
      To correct the color... What you have is Mariner Blue (90-93 models):

Here is Laguna Blue (94-95 models):

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      04-20-2012 01:59 PM #6
      headlites!
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews

7. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      04-20-2012 02:00 PM #7
      Hot damn!

8. 04-20-2012 02:01 PM #8
      The wood trim is cool bro. Get the Nardi wheel and knob to go with it.

Maybe it doesn't work so well with the blue, but it's a cool little upgrade from the boring black, really brittle, cheap stuff they use for the surrounds stock.

Cool find. I miss my Miata. Great cars.

Vehicles
      2002 SVT Focus, 2000 Focus ZX3, 1966 Cortina, 1987 Dodge Charger, 1998 Tacoma, 1983 Plymouth Scamp
      04-20-2012 02:01 PM #9
      Looks solid.

Please don't slam it with funky wheels and ill-fitting tires.

Vehicles
      Weekday sports car, weekend sports car, and a suburban homeowner special
      04-20-2012 02:19 PM #10
      At the very least the rear bumper has been repainted. The car didn't have clear coat from the factory, and that's what's peeling off.

Your car has the early 'shorty' rear mud guards. At some point, Mazda changed them to be taller, so they go up over the rear fender more and discontinued the shorter style. Those are worth a decent amount to some in the Miata community, so if you don't want them, sell them (don't throw them out).

Also: What the heck is that hanging off of the front strut bar?
      Last edited by Smigelski; 04-20-2012 at 02:22 PM.

11. 04-20-2012 02:25 PM #11
      Wheeler dealer guy would use a "cutting agent" and a buffer to bring that paint back.

Whatever "cutting agent" is.

12. 04-20-2012 02:31 PM #12
      just need some shrouds for those low rise headlights
      Quote Originally Posted by slikaznricer View Post
      Dude, its the internet. Everyone trolls everyone. if you get butthurt, go buy some preparation H or troll back.

Vehicles
      '87 930 '77 Bronco '01 325iTSC '08 Xterra
      04-20-2012 02:35 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by choochoo View Post
      ...but did the PO bolt an aftermarket horn to the strut bar?
      It gives the owner something to toot during parades in June.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      Wheeler dealer guy would use a "cutting agent" and a buffer to bring that paint back.

Whatever "cutting agent" is.
      That is clear coat failure, the only thing bringing that back is a repaint.

14. 04-20-2012 02:38 PM #14
      OIC. Those Miatas never had clearcoat from the factory, but it's a later respray. Bummer, maybe it's just the back bumper cover if there are no other peeling spots.

Vehicles
      '07 GTI (Sold.), '02 Miata (Sold.), '13 Scion FR-S
      04-20-2012 02:54 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by mtdrv View Post
      That is beautiful.

Vehicles
      Mustang GT
      04-20-2012 03:02 PM #16
      Looks like a nice car! I would just paint the wheels, as I understand "they all do that" and the painted wheels on my Miata look fine year after year.
      The good news: I gave up on being one of the cool kids!

04-20-2012 03:17 PM #17
      Good grief! That took long enough!

Great color. I guess the roadster trip was enough to convince you to get one.

I think you made the right choice. You'll enjoy this car for a long time.

Chris
      | 2012 Nissan Leaf | 2005 Chrysler T&C | 1990 Ford F-150 |

18. Member
      Vehicles
      13 Fiat 500 Abarth
      04-20-2012 04:05 PM #18
      I'm ridiculously jealous. I haven't been able to find a suitable one for a decent price around here. Someday, though.

19. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2007 Mini Cooper S
      04-20-2012 04:39 PM #19
      Isn't that mariner blue? This is laguna blue:

Laguna seca blue:

Vehicles
      06 Miata, 07 Magnum, 06 Mazda 3
      04-20-2012 04:42 PM #20
      Very nice Smurf Blue! I love NAs, I had a '94 BRG. Check to see if this car falls into the "short nose crank" VIN category...It can be fatal, but should be avoidable. Read Miata.net.

There is a series of newer Mazda head units (Double DIN) from the early Tributes and ~2001+ Protoges...they fit in that slot perfectly, have the same connecotrs, and look pretty stock. It also gives you a fully modern head unit. They pop up on ebay frequently, and the details are documented on Miata.net.

I agree. The wood trim is bad...easy fix, though.
      2006 MX-5
      2007 Magnum
      2006 Mazda 3

Vehicles
      '99 Miata, '06 xB
      04-20-2012 04:50 PM #21
      Nice pickup, and in my favorite miata color ever, Mariner blue (right behind Merlot Mica). If my red NB ever needs a full repaint... she's gonna be MB. No question. Congrats, enjoy, and welcome to the club!

Oh, and mariner NB for gits and shigs:

not the best pic, but yeah.
      I'm just your local purveyor of Miata and Nissan Z-car fanboyism.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmeeee View Post
      Because then you'd be shopping at Kmart, where it always smells like 1976.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 Caliber SRT4, 1989 Mazda B2200, 2010 RAV4
      04-20-2012 04:58 PM #22
      Man I remember when the Miata came out. It was 1989 and I was at the Mazda dealership with my dad who was buying a pickup and I fell in love with one that exact same color. I must've been about 12 years old. Still love that car.

Vehicles
      2013 Audi S4
      04-20-2012 05:01 PM #23
      Nice pick up! Have fun with it
      Mike

24. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '15 e250 bt, '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt
      04-20-2012 05:21 PM #24
      you went looking for a practical comfortable car that got good mileage... and you ended up with a miata?

oh boy...

Vehicles
      2006 VW GTI 2.0t
      04-20-2012 05:25 PM #25
      Nice buy! Congrats!

I was up in Ludlow VT about a month ago and stumbled into this little garage/dealer who had a pristine looking white E30 M3. I was completely sticker shocked though when I saw the asking price at 17k... my god these things still fetch a bundle and then some. Are people really paying that?

Here it is if you're curious...

http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars...ries_146599312

They had a sweet orange 2002 too...
      A brave man's weapon is his heart.

26. 04-20-2012 05:29 PM #26
      FWIW I don't think that strut bar is factory. Doesn't really matter, and I'm not even sure about it, just thought I'd point out the possibility. That's a nice NA in a bitchin' color. Leave the top down and take corners hard

Vehicles
      MTA
      04-24-2012 08:09 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Awesome pickup! My '94 isn't in nearly as nice shape cosmetically speaking.

You'll have fun in that. The 1.6 is revvy in comparison to the 1.8.

If it has OEM dampers on it, they are shot. They don't last beyond about 50k. Something to think about. Refreshing the suspension--bushings, dampers--on any NA Miata and installing some sticky tires can totally transform the car.
      Thanks for the insight. I'll look into the dampers. I'm thinking coilovers and some bigger wheels/stickier tires are in order. These little 14" wheels look like skate wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by choochoo View Post
      that looks really clean for a 91. Much better buy than that ratty E30. no miata advice from me, but did the PO bolt an aftermarket horn to the strut bar?
      Yeah, as I'm going through this car I'm finding a few odd things here and there. The guy must've loved doing electrical work on it because there are wires everywhere-- and many of them lead to nothing at all. No issues though, which is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Hufeisen View Post
      Nice find! I think it is cool that the previous owner gave you all the other items. Usually when I sell a car, I sell off the parts or rarely depending on the buyer, will include it.
      Same here! Some of it is going straight to ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      The wood trim is cool bro. Get the Nardi wheel and knob to go with it.

Maybe it doesn't work so well with the blue, but it's a cool little upgrade from the boring black, really brittle, cheap stuff they use for the surrounds stock.

Cool find. I miss my Miata. Great cars.
      The "wood" trim is gone. It was peeling and I finally ripped most of it off at a stop light because I hated it so much. It look horrendous in person! I'm going to try to figure out what to do with the center area with the HVAC controls/radio because nothing is taking the glue off.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnilith View Post
      Looks solid.

Please don't slam it with funky wheels and ill-fitting tires.
      A mild drop and some 15" or 16" wheels with nice, meaty tires is my thought. No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      At the very least the rear bumper has been repainted. The car didn't have clear coat from the factory, and that's what's peeling off.

Your car has the early 'shorty' rear mud guards. At some point, Mazda changed them to be taller, so they go up over the rear fender more and discontinued the shorter style. Those are worth a decent amount to some in the Miata community, so if you don't want them, sell them (don't throw them out).

Also: What the heck is that hanging off of the front strut bar?
      Thanks for the info on the mudguards. I think they're staying on since I have a gravel driveway. All 120 HP spins the rear tires if I'm not careful pulling out of my driveway!

Quote Originally Posted by patrickvr6 View Post
      It gives the owner something to toot during parades in June.
      HEY!

Quote Originally Posted by Bias_Ply View Post
      Looks like a nice car! I would just paint the wheels, as I understand "they all do that" and the painted wheels on my Miata look fine year after year.
      I was able to really clean them up today with some Meg's Chrome Wheel cleaner, but they still look a little rough.

So I'm thinking about a repaint. Either white, silver, gunmetal or gold. Any opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by 200HP4dr View Post
      Good grief! That took long enough!

Great color. I guess the roadster trip was enough to convince you to get one.

I think you made the right choice. You'll enjoy this car for a long time.

Chris
      I'll have to take you for a ride soon! If you can fit your feet in it...

And, yes, the Triumph did help to inspire the roadster bug. Darn it.

Quote Originally Posted by N2OInferno View Post
      I'm ridiculously jealous. I haven't been able to find a suitable one for a decent price around here. Someday, though.
      I've been looking for about 6 months, on and off. It's by far the nicest I've found.

Quote Originally Posted by Bibs View Post
      Very nice Smurf Blue! I love NAs, I had a '94 BRG. Check to see if this car falls into the "short nose crank" VIN category...It can be fatal, but should be avoidable. Read Miata.net.

There is a series of newer Mazda head units (Double DIN) from the early Tributes and ~2001+ Protoges...they fit in that slot perfectly, have the same connecotrs, and look pretty stock. It also gives you a fully modern head unit. They pop up on ebay frequently, and the details are documented on Miata.net.

I agree. The wood trim is bad...easy fix, though.
      Thanks! I'll look into that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0105 View Post
      Nice pick up! Have fun with it
      Mike
      Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      you went looking for a practical comfortable car that got good mileage... and you ended up with a miata?

oh boy...
      Yeah, I don't know how it happened.

So far it's been good on gas and I feel really confident that I can sell it for more than I paid for it in a few years if I want to get rid of it. After the detail I gave it today, I definitely added value to it.

Quote Originally Posted by initiation View Post
      FWIW I don't think that strut bar is factory. Doesn't really matter, and I'm not even sure about it, just thought I'd point out the possibility. That's a nice NA in a bitchin' color. Leave the top down and take corners hard
      It isn't OEM for sure, but it does seem to tighten the little car up!

Vehicles
      MTA
      04-24-2012 08:18 PM #28
      Did a major interior detail on it.

Removed the seats, the center console and used a Little Green on the seats and carpets. Looks a million times better.

Before:

Even after tearing out carpets and poking around, there are no signs of rust or accident damage.

After:

Noticed a very small rip in the top near the back window. Any advice for patching a soft top? Duct tape?

So far I've really enjoyed this little car. For a measly 120 HP, it's lively and fun and I find myself speeding a little too often. It's gotten polarizing reviews from family and friends, but I'm loving it.

I ordered a stubby antenna, new H3 bulbs for the headlamps and put in some LED tail light bulbs from Autozone-- anything I can do to make the car have more visibility on the road.

Next order of business is ripping out the horrible fog lights the PO installed and doing a full exterior detail on the car. I'll post pictures!

04-24-2012 08:18 PM #29

I'll have to take you for a ride soon! If you can fit your feet in it...

And, yes, the Triumph did help to inspire the roadster bug. Darn it.
      Hey! They fit my frame. You should swing by and assist in the Triumph water pump. I'll help you fix your crank nose.

Chris
      | 2012 Nissan Leaf | 2005 Chrysler T&C | 1990 Ford F-150 |

Vehicles
      MTA
      04-24-2012 08:32 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by 200HP4dr View Post
      Hey! They fit my frame. You should swing by and assist in the Triumph water pump. I'll help you fix your crank nose.

Chris
      Cool! When are you doing the water pump?

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      04-24-2012 08:39 PM #31
      don't let those little wimpy looking tires scare you.
      must watch:

Vehicles
      '99 Miata, '06 xB
      04-25-2012 09:37 AM #32
      Did a major interior detail on it.

Removed the seats, the center console and used a Little Green on the seats and carpets. Looks a million times better.
      Hell of a difference in that carpet...

BTW, what do you mean by "a little green"... Simple Green?

33. Vortex Media Group Staff Tim@VMG's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      04-25-2012 10:10 AM #33
      That's really cool.

Threads like this always make me want a Miata....

-Tim
      The artist formerly known as SilverSLC
      Forum Rules | How To Use vBulletin

VWVortex | Fourtitude | INR8 | Kilometer Magazine | Swedespeed
      "When you're traveling at lower speeds, and by lower speeds I mean anything under 120 miles per hour..." -Allan McNish

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      04-25-2012 10:23 AM #34
      Someday I'll lose a hundred pounds and own a Miata.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
      "I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food."
      Ukemafia.com

Vehicles
      '99 Miata, '06 xB
      04-25-2012 10:51 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Someday I'll lose a hundred pounds and own a Miata.

Me, myself = fat guy in a little coat. Fvck it tho... I enjoy the crap outta my car, and I still fit in it well enough to daily it comfortably.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast