Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Pioneer Elite w/Martin Logans

1. Member
      04-20-2012 08:34 PM #1
      This will be in the family room, so not a dedicated theatre. I'm thinking of getting the pioneer elite sc-55 along with some bookshelf speakers from the Martin Logan motion series.

At 1st this will be a 3.1 system, but plan on possibly adding some some ceiling speakers to make it a 5.1.

My question: Is the sc-55 overkill for what i'm trying to accomplish? and are the martin logans a good match?

Thanks!

2. 04-20-2012 10:01 PM #2
      You should spend far more on your speakers than you do on your electronics. Both brands are good, assuming you like the Martin-Logan "sound".

3. Member
      04-20-2012 10:49 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
      You should spend far more on your speakers than you do on your electronics. Both brands are good, assuming you like the Martin-Logan "sound".
      Is there something wrong with their "sound"?

4. 04-22-2012 11:53 AM #4
      Nothing wrong with it. Every speaker has its own sound, and the Motion series use a folded-ribbon tweeter that is quite a bit different than the far more common dome-style tweeters most manufacturers use. Some people like the sound, others don't like it as much as a dome. You should listen to at least 3 or 4 different speakers in your price range before you buy something.

5. 04-23-2012 10:23 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
      Nothing wrong with it. Every speaker has its own sound, and the Motion series use a folded-ribbon tweeter that is quite a bit different than the far more common dome-style tweeters most manufacturers use. Some people like the sound, others don't like it as much as a dome. You should listen to at least 3 or 4 different speakers in your price range before you buy something.
      ^^^this

I fell in love with martin logans at my local hifi shop until they hooked them up for a demo so I can hear them. I wanted to like them soooo bad but I just couldn't get with their sound....
      You must demo them first..