Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2.0l oil consumption fix

1. 04-21-2012 02:53 AM #1
      so long story short 7 days before my 10yr warranty expired i went into the dealership with my dad... we had a complaint of oil consumption they wanted us to drixe it xxxx miles. we only had 7 days to do so, so we agreed to do it and started planning a trip there at the desk and the service person had sympathy for us and grandfathered me into a compression test my car had aproximately 74xxx miles on it at this time. they said it had excessive blowby and i got my motor rebuilt. took about a month i think they were kinda pissed $3000 in free work 7 days before the warranty ran out and i got a new transmission at this point in time. new clutch too but it only cost parts really since the motor and trans were already coming out. however after all this work my car still ate its fair share of oil. i finally got to thinking about it and remembered how i had read that the pcv valve in the filler plugged gets clogged with gunk so i pulled mine off put blocked the hole in the valve cover and got to work. i will say this took about 3 hours of flushing. anyways i flushed it out with steaming hot water some antibacterial hand soap and an old toothbrush. i found out that the center piece in the filler cap actually spins and moves up and down the slightest bit thats what you hear that sound vaguely like a marble if you shake it. well after all this flushing with hot water and soap and scrubbing each section of the inside by physically turning the centerpiece with my finger. for your well being i will tell you your finger can get stuck and cut if you go in from the filler point if theres not too much sludge you should be able to turn it through the vacuum port piece. what came out of mine which has seen 104xxx of driving looked like dirty bong water and the oil came out in chunks like resin. i seriously mean youll be surprised as too what all comes out. i believe the valve when clean works as the vacuum sucks it down and shut and whenever any positive pressure is present it opens to relieve it. when dirty it doesnt close all the way and the vacuum siphons the oil out of the top of the head which is why i believe our throttle bodys get so dirty in that spot. since doing this ive driven 600 plus miles and not burnt a single drop of oil. i need to get some to top it off it started and has stayed at 2/3 the way up the safe range just needs a little to top it off. but this seriously worked and i havent seen any other writeup on anything like this and would just like to share the knowledge. but in the end u could go buy a new one but that would cost money.... anyways its all hard plastic minus the gasket on the bottom and the metal clip that holds it in so i figured it was safe to use water and soap. if you try this i do not take any responsibility for any damage that occurs to your vehicle and i must insist that you make sure you have ample time to let it dry out i let mine dry over like a 36 hour period

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      04-21-2012 12:37 PM #2
      After a rebuild, I would expect to see some oil consumption. Its gotta break in!

FWIW, my 2.0 had 102k on her and never drank any oil
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 190k, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 138k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 159k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

3. 04-21-2012 01:49 PM #3
      well you probably dont drive your car like i do mine... it burned very little of the breakin oil. and to this day my whole time driving it i noticed it only really burned oil past 5k rpms im assuming the vacuum was becoming too much at that point. but this fixed my oil consumption and id figured i might as well pass it on

Vehicles
      2013 Passat TDI Highline, 1996 Audi UrS6, 1991 Mk2 Jetta (mint)
      04-21-2012 03:02 PM #4
      I've never had a 2.0L that didn't go through at least a litre of oil between changes......it's fairly common....

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      04-21-2012 03:04 PM #5
      How do you drive? I'm certainly not a...relaxed driver And you say it burned little of the break-in oil but you said in the OP that after the rebuild it still drank oil? How long after the rebuild?
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 190k, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 138k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 159k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

6. 04-22-2012 03:09 PM #6
      it started its consumption up after the second oil change and progressively got worse. my oil is fairly clean and smells nothing like gas so im assuming my blowby is minimal havent done a compression test since the rebuild. and by the way i drive like a nut