Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how do you remove the boot from the dsg knob?

Vehicles
      Current: 2008 MKV .:R32 Old: 2000 B5 Passat
      04-22-2012 09:35 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Stylist07 View Post
      I'm sure we can drive our car with No shifter indicator at all and just go by the feel of it, but VW was nice of enough to give us two point of sights of gear selections one on the shifter and one in the mdf.

Not a big deal to have either but I was wondering why some one would want their gear selector removed?

And no I don't drive starring at the shifter, I'm looking at the road......Most of the time
      I personally liked how it cleaned up the interior, I just think it looks better... Definitely flows alot better...

Sounded to me that's what he was asking about, LOL! But hey, I'll admit when I was wrong

2. 04-22-2012 09:36 PM #37
      I can do a little video for ya if u want to me too.....If that helps

Vehicles
      Golf R32
      04-22-2012 10:06 PM #38
      I can do a little video for ya if u want to me too.....If that helps
      Video would be great , I just ordered an mk6 shifter and it would help us all
      Official OG .:R32 Owners Club Member

4. Member
      Vehicles
      dbp 08 r32
      04-22-2012 10:28 PM #39
      ya my question was just on replacing the boot with the manual boot because u need the bigger boot to fit the bigger manual bezel. i just think it looks cleaner with the manual bezel and i dont look to see im putting it in the right gear anyways anymore. i just pulled the old boot clean off the dsg knob then got the other one on and with a little glue got it to work.
      FK, Adams, H&R, USP, EBC, Modshack, Toyo, OEM+

Vehicles
      2008 R32 #3603/5000
      04-23-2012 05:31 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkNeo View Post
      Video would be great , I just ordered an mk6 shifter and it would help us all
      Where did you source the mk6 shifter? I just had mine swapped under warranty (peeling trim) but the head feels different, the leather is all crinkly and not smooth, and I'm pretty sure it's not even leather at all (where it was on my original shifter).
      [Forge CAI, BlueFlame catback, DLI mounts, UM software, RNS510+MDI+9W7BT, RacingBrake 4pot, OEM (projector) fogs, other Euro stuff]
      I'm a tech nerd and radar/lidar countermeasure enthusiast. I like track days, autocross, and US Highway 129. I love aural pleasure.
      WitW 2014 || I UM

04-24-2012 12:37 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
      Where did you source the mk6 shifter? I just had mine swapped under warranty (peeling trim) but the head feels different, the leather is all crinkly and not smooth, and I'm pretty sure it's not even leather at all (where it was on my original shifter).
      you got your shifter replaced due to peeling trim? i have some peel on the edge of the shift lever that i was wondering whether or not it's covered.

shark ~

Vehicles
      Golf R32
      04-28-2012 08:59 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
      Classifieds

8. 04-28-2012 11:23 PM #43
      I will make a small video and post it on how to remove the DSG shifter in less than 30 sec......

Vehicles
      Golf R32
      04-28-2012 11:31 PM #44
      I will make a small video and post it on how to remove the DSG shifter in less than 30 sec......

10. 04-30-2012 01:24 AM #45
      Ok so i finally got the small video done for the install and removal of the DSG shifter with a few pix and tips too...

SHIFTER REMOVAL

SHIFTER INSTALL

Be careful when removing the shifter NOT to pull the trigger button while pulling off the shifter, cuz u will get the trigger stuck and locked out of position. This will come in handy when u are trying to reinstall the shifter, the only way to fix this is to take off the top of the "DSG" aluminum cover to get access to the locking trigger pin. Once the DSG cover is lifted out of the way u will be able to see this locking pin and if it's sticking straight up, then u will have to push it back in its "HOME" position in between the plastic fork below. All u have to do is use a flat-head driver and push down the locking pin all the way down till it locks in between the plastic fork below, this will keep the trigger button locked in place so u can reinstall the shifter when ready. U will "NOT" be able to reinstall the shifter if this is not done the right way so pay attention to where that locking "PIN" is when reinstalling the shifter!!!

BTW...... Notice when the locking pin is "NOT" in its locking position that the trigger button is pushed all the way in and u cant pull it out. But when u push the locking pin down in its home position in between the plastic fork below, this will keep the trigger button pushed out and ready for install.

DSG COVER REMOVAL

UNLOCKED PIN

LOCKED PIN
      Last edited by Stylist07; 05-02-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      04-30-2012 08:49 AM #46
      Awesome info stylist!!!
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

Vehicles
      Harley 48
      04-30-2012 12:37 PM #47
      ^^^ Someone please punch this guy in the back of the head

Vehicles
      Golf R32
      04-30-2012 02:18 PM #48
      Thanks for the video stylist

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 02:55 PM #49
      Awesome video! Great writeup on the pin/trigger info as well... I remember doing the same thing when I did mine and it took me a little bit of searching to figure out about removing the top of the shifter, etc...

15. 04-30-2012 08:12 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by abeR View Post
      Awesome info stylist!!!

Thanks for the video stylist

Quote Originally Posted by MoWsE View Post
      Awesome video! Great writeup on the pin/trigger info as well... I remember doing the same thing when I did mine and it took me a little bit of searching to figure out about removing the top of the shifter, etc...

Glad u guys enjoyed the video, I was up late last night and almost forgot about making the video but I got it done....

Vehicles
      Golf R32
      05-01-2012 02:16 PM #51

Glad u guys enjoyed the video, I was up late last night and almost forgot about making the video but I got it done....
      Just double checking before I install my new shifter. We do not press the trigger when removing or installing the shifter correct?

Also my new shifter arrived with this red shaft insert, I'm pretty sure its to keep the the pin from locking. Im guessing it just pulls out correct? leaving the pin open

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 05:26 PM #52
      Just double checking before I install my new shifter. We do not press the trigger when removing or installing the shifter correct?

Also my new shifter arrived with this red shaft insert, I'm pretty sure its to keep the the pin from locking. Im guessing it just pulls out correct? leaving the pin open

Correct on both questions.

Vehicles
      Golf R32
      05-01-2012 05:40 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by MoWsE View Post
      Correct on both questions.

Vehicles
      Golf R32
      05-01-2012 10:20 PM #54
      Pulling and and pulling, it won't come off

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 10:33 PM #55
      I couldn't get it out either :/
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

Vehicles
      Golf R32
      05-01-2012 10:53 PM #56
      I couldn't get it out either :/
      They said not to pull the trigger, but in the video the trigger looks like its pulled

22. 05-01-2012 10:59 PM #57
      I just swapped my shifter and e brake handle for the red stiched edition 30 versions. That red thing does pull out. It requires some pressure. Just make sure that after you pull the red insert out, you dont depress the button, other wise you will have to put the insert back in. Besides making sure not to depress the button, it slides on and pops in place with medium pressure.

I have TR exterior so inlike the newer shifter with the red stiching and i also just had my original shifter replaced under warranty for the threads coming apart.

Good luck.

Vehicles
      Golf R32
      05-02-2012 01:20 AM #58
      Going to pull a shoulder muscle trying to yank the shifter off

Vehicles
      Golf R32
      05-02-2012 02:11 AM #59
      Ok finally got it.

Read the thread on the other forum by stylist. We first pop off the trim and unplug the connector. Then shift to N and push down the black plastic piece on the bottom of the shaft until it snaps. Then shift to S and press the trigger and yank off

There was no mention of that black piece needing to be push down in this post, idk if that was the trick or if it finally gave in when I pulled...but it worked
      Last edited by DarkNeo; 05-02-2012 at 02:14 AM.

Vehicles
      2008 R32 #3603/5000
      05-02-2012 03:30 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by thesharkman View Post
      you got your shifter replaced due to peeling trim? i have some peel on the edge of the shift lever that i was wondering whether or not it's covered.

shark ~
      Yes, I am still within my 4yr / 50k (or is it 48k?) warranty though. Service advisor didn't give me any crap about it and they just replaced it no concerns.
      [Forge CAI, BlueFlame catback, DLI mounts, UM software, RNS510+MDI+9W7BT, RacingBrake 4pot, OEM (projector) fogs, other Euro stuff]
      I'm a tech nerd and radar/lidar countermeasure enthusiast. I like track days, autocross, and US Highway 129. I love aural pleasure.
      WitW 2014 || I UM

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 08:17 AM #61
      Ok finally got it.

Read the thread on the other forum by stylist. We first pop off the trim and unplug the connector. Then shift to N and push down the black plastic piece on the bottom of the shaft until it snaps. Then shift to S and press the trigger and yank off

There was no mention of that black piece needing to be push down in this post, idk if that was the trick or if it finally gave in when I pulled...but it worked
      Push down till it snaps? As in breaks or it snaps out of position

Did you have to pull the trigger?

Pics
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

Vehicles
      Golf R32
      05-02-2012 01:14 PM #62
      Push down till it snaps? As in breaks or it snaps out of position

Did you have to pull the trigger?

Pics
      Push down until it un clips, yeah I pulled the trigger.

28. 05-02-2012 11:44 PM #63
      Push down until it un clips, yeah I pulled the trigger.
      When u push the trigger it unlocks the pin, if u just pull the red stick straight out it will AUTOMATICLY lock the trigger pin in the LOCKED position.

Sorry I was not on the forums for a day or so, but I'm glad u got it all worked out.

BTW...... If u look at the Red stick and the gear stick as well, u will notice a small hole in it, this is where the trigger pin fits into and locks the shifter knob to the shifter stick. If the trigger pin is NOT in it's LOCKED position then the trigger pin can NOT slide into this small hole on the shifter stick or Red stick too.

In my video YES my finger was on the trigger button while I pulled up to remove the shifter, BUT if u read a little more u will notice what will happen if u do it that way. That is why I said if u remove the shifter while pulling the triigger button then u will UNLOCK the triigger pin when it come off. If u just pull straight up on the shifter and do NOT pull the trigger then it will AUTOMATICLY put the trigger in its LOCKED position.

I hope this all make sense, if not u can always remove the DSG cover and look at the triigger pin while u play around with the shifter from P, N, D, and S.

Last edited by Stylist07; 05-02-2012 at 11:48 PM.

29. 05-02-2012 11:52 PM #64
      I also just highlighted in red what NOT to do when removing the DSG shifter, right under the video.

Can't miss it

30. 11-19-2013 03:34 PM #65
      I was able to follow everything you said but I am still not able to get the trigger to function properly. Any suggestions as to why? It has no spring action to it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12