Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: mid range stumble fox motor possible bad lifters?

Vehicles
      '84 GTI '83 pickup '02 Focus '08 STI
      04-21-2012 09:23 PM #1
      the mk1 jetta i have has a fn fox motor in it and will idle all day but breaks up when you apply the throttle and starts to run better at higher rpm... i suspect it has a bad lifter or two... does this seem plausible? I have checked the fuel pressure and for vacuum leaks and both are good...
      Quote Originally Posted by rod_knock View Post
      Remind me to drive up there this weekend and give you a PITD

2. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      04-21-2012 09:42 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Fusor2 View Post
      the mk1 jetta i have has a fn fox motor in it and will idle all day but breaks up when you apply the throttle and starts to run better at higher rpm... i suspect it has a bad lifter or two... does this seem plausible? I have checked the fuel pressure and for vacuum leaks and both are good...
      have you checked the fuel FILTER tho?

bad lifters usually wont make issues like what you describe.. they will just tick like a mofo..

if its a solid lifter engine, the lifters dont go bad, they just need adjusting..

but if its a hydro engine, the lifters DO go out, but they just make lots of racket..

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      04-21-2012 11:40 PM #3
      Sounds to me more like leaky/bad injector(s), dumping too much fuel until the air catches up at higher rpm. Had it happen, and it was just one injector. I was able to pull plugs to determine which cylinder it was.
      Tradition is the art of making the same mistake repeatedly, on purpose.

FS:MkI low back front seat upholstery(new)

Vehicles
      04-22-2012 10:04 AM #4
      im not saying i might not have a bad injector but i pulled them, checked the pattern and output and they looked all good. i pulled the valve cover and used a nylon paint stick to push down on the lifters and some seemed to go down easier than others... and i to have a top end tick on the #2 cyl that goes away when the sluggishness goes away also but that could also be more oil flow to the top end...

Vehicles
      04-22-2012 07:31 PM #5
      i replaced the injectors with good injectors from my rabbit and it runs the same... i guess as soon as i can find a deal on lifters ill buy those...

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1991 gti g60 Turbo, 1973 Euro Spec BMW 2002 Dual Weber 45's, 1982 VW Caddy on15x9's
      04-25-2012 08:34 PM #6
      i just had a similar problem with my 8v. does it have trouble going up hills? mine would accelerate to about 2000 rpms then it would be real sluggish and stutter and clean up at higher rpms.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      04-26-2012 01:45 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Fusor2 View Post
      i replaced the injectors with good injectors from my rabbit and it runs the same... i guess as soon as i can find a deal on lifters ill buy those...
      it IS NOT THE LIFTERS causing all your issues. i promise that if you replace the lifters, it WILL NOT fix it. whoever told you that lifters would fix this problem, was HIGH.

dont waste the $100 on them..

find whats actually wrong, and fix it.

i would almost be willing to bet my life that you have an issue with your plugs/wires/cap, or rotor..

my GTI would do almost the exact thing you describe, when my plug wires, cap, and rotor were bad.
      Last edited by Glegor; 04-26-2012 at 01:54 PM.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1991 gti g60 Turbo, 1973 Euro Spec BMW 2002 Dual Weber 45's, 1982 VW Caddy on15x9's
      04-27-2012 02:51 AM #8
      my cabi had the same issue with all new vacuum,fuel,and electrical still ran like ****. it is your timing. i was told that and didnt believe and replaced everything with no results. oh yea and new exhaust. remove upper cover and set to top dead center for cylinder one then open your distributor and make sure it is line up perfectly to fire cyclinder one. if not, i recommend doing your timing belt and setting with the intermediate shaft.

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 08:15 PM #9
      i have replaced the spark plugs, plug wires cap and rotor and still has issues......