Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Mirrorless Nikon J1 or Sony Nex?

Hybrid View

04-22-2012 01:02 AM #1
      I had purchased a Sony Nex but then just handed it over to my brother for his bday before he moved to France so I haven't had a chance to even play with it. I think im going to swing for another one soon and was just wondering if the Nex was the way to go for mirror-less cameras or should i explore a different avenue and maybe get a nikon or something.

Or should I get an entry level dslr?
      Last edited by mavric_ac; 04-22-2012 at 01:15 AM.
      stay in drugs, eat school, and don't do vegetables
      permanent vacation

2. Banned JacksSenseOfRejection's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1986 Volvo 240
      04-22-2012 02:31 AM #2

Vehicles
      E82M & V40 T4 R-Design
      04-23-2012 02:16 PM #3
      I just played with a NEX-7 in Osaka a couple of days ago. Brilliant piece of kit, much more desirable than the 5n, that's for sure. Not sure about the lens quality, but it was easy and intuitive to use, and it had a quality heft to it.

But it was quite a premium over the 5n in Japan. Not sure what it will be like in the States, but I imagine it will be similar.

I ended up buying the J1, however, because I wanted the FT mount to keep using my DX lenses after I trade in my D90 for a D800.

04-26-2012 08:30 PM #4
      If you're going to go for a mirrorless camera I'd shoot for the Olympus OM-D M5. It's an amazing camera for the money. High iso shots are about one stop better than the Nex 7 and there are far more native lenses for the system.

04-28-2012 11:20 PM #5
      thanks RY I'll look into them.

just had a look and it's a little out of my price range. Nice looking piece of kit though! I'll be making a purchase in the next 2-3 weeks so I've got some time to do a little more reading. It's funny my dad is a photographer and a Uni Prof and he just gives me a smirk and rolls his eyes when I tell him I'm going to buy another. He's still old school and doesn't even own a good digital camera but shoots film ( a lot of 4x5) and has a darkroom in his basement.
      Last edited by mavric_ac; 04-28-2012 at 11:29 PM.
      stay in drugs, eat school, and don't do vegetables
      permanent vacation

Vehicles
      1986 Alfa Spider, 2005 Ford Freestyle
      04-29-2012 12:39 AM #6
      E-P3 or E-PL3 is in your price range and worth a look... Panasonic is also in your wheelhouse and can even be bought used to make cash go further.

Benefit of the Oly's is the IBIS that'll IS any lens mounted to them AF or MF.

7. 04-29-2012 03:07 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ry_guy View Post
      High iso shots are about one stop better than the Nex 7 and there are far more native lenses for the system.
      no way no how. NEX-7 has APS-C sensor. OM-D has M4/3 sensor (i.e. smaller). Low light the Nex 7 will do better than OM-D.

I have the OM-D. Can't find a decent lens since the only really desirable one -- Panasonic 20mm/1.7 -- is out-of-stock everywhere. There are very few other intriguing M4/3 lenses. The NEX can take Leica lenses with an adapter, if thats your thing.

That said, I still favor my Fuji X100. No silly PASM knob like on the OM-D. Power toggle where it should be, not like OM-D. A very reductive, back-to-basics user experience in veins of a Leica. Way better ISO performance than any of the aforementioned cameras.

Vehicles
      1986 Alfa Spider, 2005 Ford Freestyle
      04-29-2012 11:58 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by rockhog View Post
      no way no how. NEX-7 has APS-C sensor. OM-D has M4/3 sensor (i.e. smaller). Low light the Nex 7 will do better than OM-D.

I have the OM-D. Can't find a decent lens since the only really desirable one -- Panasonic 20mm/1.7 -- is out-of-stock everywhere. There are very few other intriguing M4/3 lenses. The NEX can take Leica lenses with an adapter, if thats your thing.

That said, I still favor my Fuji X100. No silly PASM knob like on the OM-D. Power toggle where it should be, not like OM-D. A very reductive, back-to-basics user experience in veins of a Leica. Way better ISO performance than any of the aforementioned cameras.
      the reviews have consensus otherwise as to your thoughts on the OM-D vs. nex7, even the most jaded sites call this advantage OM-D.

not sure why you bought the OM-D then if there were few "intriguing lenses", that also flies in the face of popular opinion, the primes are great performers and very well received, the 7-14, 9-18, zooms, etc., etc. have rounded out the lens line up nicely. 3rd party support is onboard as well. that gripe seems unfounded especially when you compare it to the nex lens catalog.

as fpr adapters, you can adapt anything you want to a m4/3rds and with Oly any lens will be IS'd which is a great advantage. it's also got a real hotshoe and built in remote trigger as opposed to nex and it's proprietary shoe.

a good camera with a lot of teething problmes but the x100 is a one trick pony, a bit of a apples to oranges. compare the xpro1 if you want to go apples to apples. that said fuji will never have 3rd party support and will be limited due to being a small system which doesn't mean it won't take a nice pic.

plug in the cameras mentioned
      http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusem5/7
      you'll see the OM-D easily does a better job than the x-100 and NEX, it's pretty obvious

I've got my panasonic L1 for my leica-esque shooting experience, dials and aperture rings...
      Last edited by valfaw; 04-29-2012 at 12:07 PM.

04-29-2012 08:29 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by rockhog View Post

From what I've seen the M5 has very very good lowlight performance. I've seen amazing pictures at 3200 iso thus far. Not to mention the amazing IBIS.

20mm, f2, ISO 200, 1/4 sec handheld
      Jpg OOC. Desaturated.

I've also seen very clean and usable shots at 1 second handheld!