Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: head unit doesnt work now

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      99 vw jetta vr6
      04-22-2012 08:29 AM #1
      the previous owner of my car had a pioneer hu and it didnt have a usb port or a hole for a jack.. so i went to walmart (i know its cheap) but i bought another pioneer that had a usb port. so i wired that one and it worked fine. but suddenly that one stopped working, so i returned it and i got another one this time i got a jvc and i can hear it turn on but the display doesnt work.... any ideas?

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      99 vw jetta vr6
      04-22-2012 08:34 AM #2
      the guy also left the previous wiring harness for the stock stereo, i checked all of the fuses and there fine. idk if the illumination wire has anything to do with it? i tried connecting it to the battery and then the ignition but it didnt work

Vehicles
      2004.5 VW GLi 1.8T
      04-22-2012 02:16 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin14 View Post
      the guy also left the previous wiring harness for the stock stereo, i checked all of the fuses and there fine. idk if the illumination wire has anything to do with it? i tried connecting it to the battery and then the ignition but it didnt work
      Elaborate on wiring. What exactly did you do? Pics? If your close to providence I can take a look at it for you.
      12v Installation Services: Audio, Alarms/Remote Starts, OEM Integration, etc.
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      Pioneer, Kenwood, Hertz, Audison, Rockford Fosgate

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      99 vw jetta vr6
      04-24-2012 02:59 PM #4
      well i got another new head unit but its not wired to the ignition because the thing is impossible to figure out... so i have to turn it on and off. any ways the two connectors that are supposed to be in the wiring arness are not there. he did it the cheap way and just started cutting and messed everything up so for now i guess im good. but if anyone has those vw specific conectors with wires please let me know

Vehicles
      2004.5 VW GLi 1.8T
      04-24-2012 03:20 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin14 View Post
      well i got another new head unit but its not wired to the ignition because the thing is impossible to figure out... so i have to turn it on and off. any ways the two connectors that are supposed to be in the wiring arness are not there. he did it the cheap way and just started cutting and messed everything up so for now i guess im good. but if anyone has those vw specific conectors with wires please let me know
      Don't bother trying to reattach the plugs, just hardwire it to the wires existing. You'll have to most likely replace fuses that were inevitably blown from exposed wiring.
      12v Installation Services: Audio, Alarms/Remote Starts, OEM Integration, etc.
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      Pioneer, Kenwood, Hertz, Audison, Rockford Fosgate

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      99 vw jetta vr6
      04-24-2012 03:49 PM #6
      thank you for the help!