Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: njminigp

Vehicles
      '14 Grom, '03 sv1000, '01 super sherpa, '11 Tundra
      04-22-2012 09:26 AM #1

first njminigp (njminigp.com) practice yesterday. I was learning the rm125 and got a few sessions on the nsr (though it was acting up a bit). I also got to ride a ktm 103 which was life changing (awesome bike with plenty of power everywhere and much easier to ride than the rm)

oddly enough by the end of the day I was dragging knee on the tall as hell rm (i don't have sumo boots so I can't ride foot-out)

nsr/f1 helmetcam

supermoto helmetcam

goofball race

impromptu wheelie contest before goofball

nsr/f1 helmetcam

supermoto helmetcam
      Last edited by mad8vskillz; 05-01-2012 at 05:08 PM.
      Demokratikally Elekted Fist Lieutenant of the Outside Cavalry of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      That's too bad but, VWVortex said so... so you have to do it now.

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 12:15 PM #2
      May 12th is the first race (no it's not a "real" race, you can be as slow as you want to be)
      come out and play!
      they have a few rental nsr50r available for first-timers
      Demokratikally Elekted Fist Lieutenant of the Outside Cavalry of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

3. 04-30-2012 01:56 PM #3
      tempting.. full leathers required i assume?

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 02:14 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by benjaminobscene View Post
      tempting.. full leathers required i assume?
      sortof. if you have full motocross gear, that can work too. Or a two-piece leather. textile will suck since you do end up on the ground every once in a while and it will get torn up.

Vehicles
      VW Fox 16v
      04-30-2012 03:06 PM #5
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by mad8vskillz View Post
      sortof. if you have full motocross gear, that can work too. Or a two-piece leather. textile will suck since you do end up on the ground every once in a while and it will get torn up.
      That's what stopping me. I won't buy leathers but any other options suck
      | œ Orchid Euro Importation œ |

Currently driving or working on too many cars...
      | '93 Fox 16v - PVW | '99 Greenland Polo Diesel | '89 Rallye Golf | '83 Golf GTi RHD | '75 Swallowtail |
      | '76 Alfa Romeo Spider | '99 Lupo 1.4TDI-S | '82 Caddy 1.9D | '85 VW LT35 | '96 VW LT35D | '03 SpintLT35 | '02 GTI 337 | '03 GTI 20v | '90 Jetta 8v |
      | '09 Aprilia RS125 | '81 Kawasaki AR80 | '59 NSU Quickly | '64 Honda Cub C65 + '65 C105 | Trek Madone 7.9 | Trek Crockett 9 |

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 03:29 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by the brit View Post
      Awesome

That's what stopping me. I won't buy leathers but any other options suck
      other options:
      if you're somewhere in the 5'9" ~170lb range, (or know that you're a size 44 or 42) you can borrow mine.
      if you have a leather jacket, you an just buy leather riding pants.
      ebay has (not great but still useable) 1piece suits for ~200
      http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...20suit&_sop=15

Vehicles
      VW Fox 16v
      04-30-2012 03:52 PM #7
      I checked out the race classes, and I think I could run my Kawasaki AR80 but my RS125 doesn't quality for anything as it's over the max engine size (plus I'm too scared to take it on the track..). My wife's CB125 would work too, but wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mad8vskillz View Post
      other options:
      if you're somewhere in the 5'9" ~170lb range, (or know that you're a size 44 or 42) you can borrow mine.
      if you have a leather jacket, you an just buy leather riding pants.
      ebay has (not great but still useable) 1piece suits for ~200
      http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...20suit&_sop=15

The first result your ebay link brought up was: "1pc Sexy Men Thong Underwear Mesh Leather Golden Silver Black Pink free size", hahaha. Not sure if that would cut it at the track, but maybe..

I'm 6'0" and 165lb, and although I've got killer boots, gloves and helmet I'm vegan so avoid buying leather stuff as much as I can - it just happens that a lot of the quality boots etc are synthetic. If it wasn't for that I'd have bought a suit ages ago. For the road I wear a Alpinestars Synthetic jacket with the armor.
      | œ Orchid Euro Importation œ |

Currently driving or working on too many cars...
      | '93 Fox 16v - PVW | '99 Greenland Polo Diesel | '89 Rallye Golf | '83 Golf GTi RHD | '75 Swallowtail |
      | '76 Alfa Romeo Spider | '99 Lupo 1.4TDI-S | '82 Caddy 1.9D | '85 VW LT35 | '96 VW LT35D | '03 SpintLT35 | '02 GTI 337 | '03 GTI 20v | '90 Jetta 8v |
      | '09 Aprilia RS125 | '81 Kawasaki AR80 | '59 NSU Quickly | '64 Honda Cub C65 + '65 C105 | Trek Madone 7.9 | Trek Crockett 9 |

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 05:45 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by the brit View Post
      I checked out the race classes, and I think I could run my Kawasaki AR80 but my RS125 doesn't quality for anything as it's over the max engine size (plus I'm too scared to take it on the track..). My wife's CB125 would work too, but wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

The first result your ebay link brought up was: "1pc Sexy Men Thong Underwear Mesh Leather Golden Silver Black Pink free size", hahaha. Not sure if that would cut it at the track, but maybe..

I'm 6'0" and 165lb, and although I've got killer boots, gloves and helmet I'm vegan so avoid buying leather stuff as much as I can - it just happens that a lot of the quality boots etc are synthetic. If it wasn't for that I'd have bought a suit ages ago. For the road I wear a Alpinestars Synthetic jacket with the armor.
      rs125 can play in the supermoto class (and we occasionally see kids practicing on their GP machines). though it makes more sense on the big tracks than on the tight-ass gocart tracks.

obviously leather is out then, but you can grab synthetic supermoto/mx stuff. If you throw the plastic armor on the outside, it will work well enough.

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 01:14 PM #9
      found this pic there, notice what the guy in the back is wearing

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado 2001 Audi S4
      05-01-2012 03:44 PM #10
      I really want to try this, but I'm afraid to ride in mx gear on this:

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 05:07 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by PSUCorrado View Post
      I really want to try this, but I'm afraid to ride in mx gear on this:

do it! you don't slide that much that abrasion resistance would matter to your skin. you may tear your pants up a bit but you do that in the woods as well

Vehicles
      05-08-2012 01:22 PM #12
      can't wait for saturday. 1st sprint race of the season, and I want my trophy

Vehicles
      05-13-2012 11:06 AM #13
      5/12 vids

i placed 3rd in NSR

i put a bunch up on http://youtube.com/madbikevidz

the mingip shuffle (someone oiled down the track and we had to spend a bunch of time cleaning up)

F1 final

sumo (though the cam sucks at depth)

f1 practice (I almost highside at 6:30)

nsr/xr practice with our craptastic domino crash

more supermoto practice

f1practice

f1practice part 2
      Last edited by mad8vskillz; 05-13-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Vehicles
      05-30-2012 11:53 PM #14
      practice at sandy hook in MD
      also, I wrote a little blurb about cornering an nsr. applies to all bikes really

take a look at this... steve? is doing it about right

1) look where you want to go. that means at the turn-in point already be looking at the apex, by the apex be looking at the exit, etc.
      2) hips open. bum back in the seat and off 1 cheek. not 2. not 1.5, just 1 cheek. you should feel the seat in your crack.
      3) shoulders over. your shoulders should be inside the center-line of the bike. even if you don't do the knees and bum, shoulders over will help.
      4)ball of inside foot is on the peg. heel pivoted in.
      5)outer foot solidly "pushing" on the outside peg. this keeps the bike more vertical through the corner.
      6) body inline with the bike. not crossed up (shoulders over top) but instead both the shoulders and bum are inside of the bike.

Vehicles
      07-23-2012 09:32 AM #15
      worst day of racing yet, best result yet.
      It rained the whole day. Spent the whole morning crashing on my face. Two low-sides, tucked the front, and got shoved into grass where it was like ice. The NSR is awful in the rain. Supermotos on slicks were easier to ride. Goes down like a brick as soon as you get near the side of the tire.

developed a new cornering technique for the NSR... riding a mini foot-out style
      (can be seen in this vid)

for the nsr spec final, it was 4 of us. i got the holeshot and rode around on a defensive line for a while, then all of a sudden there were no nsrs behind me. Someone crashed causing the others to slow down to go around him. Spent the next 8 laps telling myself "gotta finish to win" and checking to see where the next nsr was behing me. Finally saw the white flag, but right then a rider caught up (i was being mad slow and cautious... strategy racing). Luckily for me, his effort to catch up was a bit much in the rain and he crashed 2 corners before the finish. 1st place baby! and i'm the points leader for the season (for the next two weeks, i'm missing a round of racing 2 weeks from now)

Vehicles
      10-22-2012 11:05 AM #16
      9/25 crash:
      Let me preface this with saying that I'm a-ok except a bit of a bruise on my shoulder and some odd suit-rash (suit rubbed on me while protecting me from the road)

This was a dumbass move on my part. Mostly because it worked twice in the qualifier against XRs I thought i could get him there. I will need to be more careful about where to pass. Also didn't expect him to brake quite so early (he had like 10 more yards before he needed to brake)

I thought I could make the pass, but ran out of space and clipped the riders back tire under full brakes. This sent me and the bike for a frontflip. The bike literaly was wheels-up tank down at one point. I landed and rolled. Didn't get my bell rung despite the head impact (thanks scorpion exo), popped right back up and pushed the bike away. They didn't even need to red-flag the race despite that it was a spectacular off.
      The contour disconnected from my helmet during the impact and as it rolled away took some funky video. Btw, what the contour video looks like in real-time after the hit is roughly what I saw through my visor: ground sky bike ground sky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TTDkdK2cKY

since I couldn't figure out how to slowmotion it, i just saved some stills:

damage to me: minimal because it's minigp, this is roughly like falling off a bicycle wearing full leathers and fullface.
      damage to NSR: some minor scuffs, a couple broken small parts. ~$200

if this were big track? i'd be in the hospital and the bike would be a total loss.

Long live mini!

Vehicles
      10-22-2012 11:14 AM #17
      season recap:
      race 1 - finished 3rd
      race 2 - finished 3rd
      race 3 - rained cats and dogs the whole day. NSR is awful in the rain because it's twitchy as hell even in the dry and likes to tuck the front. having had a couple crashes in practice, I decided to do it supermoto style (foot out) for the races and just make sure I finished. Got hole-shot and with the riders behind me crashing out one by one, ended up first with a half lap lead. Went slow and steady the entire race, saved a couple slides with the foot-out thing, and finished 1st.
      race 4 - didn't attend because it was far and I was in the middle of a move
      race 5 - see above post. crashed out spectacularly, didn't have a helmet anymore or a functioning bike, so couldn't run.
      race 6 - was in 3rd a few feet behind 1st and 2nd. on the white flag lap, they got significantly slowed by a lap rider running wide through a corner. I found a hole, and had more downshifts so I was in the powerband and got all 3. Finished 1st.

season results:
      3rd for the season 20 pts behind #2 (black leathers in vids) and 21 pts behind #1 (red leathers in vids)

this is a most fun way to spend a few days a year on a goofy little motorcycle
      Last edited by mad8vskillz; 10-22-2012 at 11:31 AM.

18. 10-22-2012 11:14 AM #18
      Glad to hear you're alright. Especially glad to hear the Scorpion Exo kept you safe, since that's what I wear also.

Vehicles
      10-22-2012 11:16 AM #19
      heh, like I said, it's like falling off a bicycle wearing full leathers.

this is now my avatar on svrider

Vehicles
      05-26-2013 01:09 AM #20
      couple good crashes from helmetcam from practice today
      an xr rider trying to use another rider as a ramp (failing)
      fast forward to 17 minutes (i'll make an edit later)

and me trying to use another nsr as a ramp (failing) after a rider eats it

somehow i lmao at me "walking on the ceiling"

a bunch of just riding around at http://www.youtube.com/madbikevidz/

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 VW Jetta SportWagen SEL, 2011 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, 1978 Honda Hawk CB400
      05-26-2013 08:01 AM #21
      That looks like sick quantities of a good time.

Vehicles
      05-26-2013 10:49 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
      That looks like sick quantities of a good time.
      not just looks like, IS!

Vehicles
      06-25-2013 08:03 AM #23
      Lots of pics of f1/xr/nsr courtesy of my buddy (took a while to get them from him)

http://s1141.photobucket.com/user/ma...206%208%202013