Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: K&N Air Stock Replacement

1. 04-22-2012 09:39 AM #1
      Anybody here installed stock replacement K&N air filter. I know many of you here have cold air intake but I'm just willing to replace the stock filrter with drop-in-replace K&N one.
      Any info is apreciated.

2. 04-22-2012 10:56 AM #2
      Don't do it, not on a DI engine...no, no, no.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit, 10 Tiguan, 1928 Chev, 02 Dakota
      04-22-2012 11:06 AM #3
      Agreed, total waste of money!

4. 04-23-2012 03:47 PM #4
      Please explain the "no, no, no" on a DI engine and why it would be considered a waste of $$.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit, 10 Tiguan, 1928 Chev, 02 Dakota
      04-23-2012 07:16 PM #5
      First keep in mind that you will never, ever feel a 5 HP gain. So for $$$, you might gain a bit less and reduce filtering efficiency. Can't say that is a worthwhile way to spend money.

6. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 BMW 335i, 2011 VW Tiguan 2.0 Tsi DSG- 7 speed
      04-24-2012 04:12 AM #6
      Hi,
      I feel the K&N Stock filter drop in is a better than cold air intake kits such as APR, especially stock engine.
      I have both ( APR and K&N panel filter) and in stock TSI engine, i found that if you use cold air intake you will achieve better top end performance ( between 4000- 6000 rpm) but you will loose low end torque.
      but in K&N its best of both worlds, you will get good lower end and top end performance.
      I have not done any dyno , this is only my opinion.
      cheers.

7. 04-24-2012 06:55 PM #7
      Oiled cotton gauze filters poorly, just hold one up to the light. Dirt, in the form of silicon gets into the engine and there is no fuel wash over the valves to clean them off, deposits are guaranteed. Filters actually do their job better with age, as progressively bigger pores get filled up, filtration gets BETTER.

Also guaranteed is excess wear, esp the top-end, tin and chrome from rings, maybe some copper shed.

Why do you think all those ricemobiles blow smoke? Hammering it before the engine is FULLY warmed fugs it up too.

Widman summed up his experience with excess air filter nonsense in a short study...

http://www.widman.biz/English/Analysis/Cleaning.html

Anything over 2 or 3ppm of Cr and Sn is excessive. That's not even speaking to the other metals.

I don't touch my paper filters until they really need it. I'm also pretty careful when changing them not to kick up dust.

Flow? Come on! Once the engine has enough air, more isn't better.
      Last edited by Apexxx; 04-24-2012 at 06:58 PM.