Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Which new automotive trend needs to die?

Threaded View

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L
      04-22-2012 11:14 AM #1
      So I think I'm about officially tired of several pretty recent automotive trends, be they styling, gimmicks, etc. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

- "fluid" styling (Hyundai and Mercedes comes to mind, and I can't believe those two share ANYTHING except 4 wheels)

- LEDs, halos, any kind of lights which are one step above a PepBoys special

- gaping maw frontends

- 19"+ wheels on anything other than trucks

- overstyling, mainly slats, vents, and intakes, 98% of which don't do anything

I'd vote for the catfish frontends and oversize wheels, I'm sick of every company thinking they need to have a massive grill opening or two. Its especially crappy when you can see the blacked-out section for the crash bar, or flat plastic where there isn't an actual opening. This is chasing a trend, not doing something original or attractive. I've also gotten sick of heavy-ass oversize wheels with rubberbands for tires, they hurt ride quality and make cars look cartoony or like a caricature. The new Boxster S comes standard with 19s, and to me that's ridiculous given that its supposed to be a car that is a basic, fun roadster. I have 18s on my TT and I'm ditching them ASAFP for 17s and more tire, enough of this ****

Also, I tried to add a poll, but vBulletin faked me out with a 5min requirement
      Last edited by l88m22vette; 04-22-2012 at 11:27 AM.
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ zero Porsche wheels given

Quote Originally Posted by jackboots View Post
      Torque is how many crubs and briks you can sled into. Horsepower is how fast you can sled into them, multiplied by how load your cam knock is.