Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)

Thread: Which new automotive trend needs to die?

Threaded View

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L
      04-22-2012 11:14 AM #1
      So I think I'm about officially tired of several pretty recent automotive trends, be they styling, gimmicks, etc. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

- "fluid" styling (Hyundai and Mercedes comes to mind, and I can't believe those two share ANYTHING except 4 wheels)

- LEDs, halos, any kind of lights which are one step above a PepBoys special

- gaping maw frontends

- 19"+ wheels on anything other than trucks

- overstyling, mainly slats, vents, and intakes, 98% of which don't do anything

I'd vote for the catfish frontends and oversize wheels, I'm sick of every company thinking they need to have a massive grill opening or two. Its especially crappy when you can see the blacked-out section for the crash bar, or flat plastic where there isn't an actual opening. This is chasing a trend, not doing something original or attractive. I've also gotten sick of heavy-ass oversize wheels with rubberbands for tires, they hurt ride quality and make cars look cartoony or like a caricature. The new Boxster S comes standard with 19s, and to me that's ridiculous given that its supposed to be a car that is a basic, fun roadster. I have 18s on my TT and I'm ditching them ASAFP for 17s and more tire, enough of this ****

Also, I tried to add a poll, but vBulletin faked me out with a 5min requirement
      Last edited by l88m22vette; 04-22-2012 at 11:27 AM.
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ Officially zero Fuchs given.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      Oh hot damn, a diesel wagon with a stickshift. I've always wanted to feel like I was driving a UPS truck everywhere I go.