Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Which new automotive trend needs to die?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      89 Tornadorot GTI16v, 99 Titansilber M3
      04-22-2012 12:33 PM #26
      Headlights/taillights that jaunt into all sorts of strange angles, like a perimeter outline drawn by a Parkinson's patient.

Is it too much to ask for round or square headlights and rectangular or square taillights to make a come back?

2. 04-22-2012 12:42 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      This.

I will grant an exception for Aston Martin though.
      Does that mean you also grant one to Ford?

And I actually agree with the 19'+ wheels on everything trend being obnoxious. I also don't like the new style of wheels that are two toned. First example that comes to mind is the new GLI with the silver wheels with gloss black trim. I guess it started on the Hufeisen wheels though now that I think about it, but hufs I just didn't like the shape of in the first place.

Vehicles
      '08 Jetta
      04-22-2012 12:42 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by flat6guy View Post
      Why? Looks are more important to them than performance. I have a cousin who is like this. He never drives his car hard and only has done tasteful aesthetic mods. Nothing wrong with that.
      Fair enough, and obviously to each his own. But if you were to bag even a GTI, a "hot-hatch" which is meant to be sporty and fun to drive, why would you ruin it by running bags, and stretched tires? Not to mention show rats who run big turbo...and bags. It just doesn't make sense, why not just buy a golf?

4. 04-22-2012 12:48 PM #29
      Park assist

5. 04-22-2012 12:48 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Waarp View Post
      The 4 ft. horizontal silver toothpicks spanning the rear of almost every luxury sedan
      daytime running lights
      reflectors in the rear bumper

Horizontal toothpicks? What?

The next 2 are DOT required.

Vehicles
      2003 Volkswagen Gti, 1971 Volkswagen Bug
      04-22-2012 12:50 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by DUTCHMANia View Post
      foglights/drivinglights that come on when turning... has NO USE whatsoever other then people thinking your brand new car already has a light out.
      I'm curious what car does this today? I haven't seen this yet.

I think the LED lights thing should die. Just a phase like Altezzas I hope.
      Pure Euro l Team Jimmy

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L, 2004 A6 3.0
      04-22-2012 12:56 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnin8r View Post
      guess you missed the 4 year Daimler Hyundai partnership where Mercedes shared engineering tech in exchange for Korean mass production know how.
      I highlighted the important word in your statement. I said styling. Styling has very little to do with engineering, aside from making them work once both are decided upon. Mercedes in general has gone off the deep end as of the last 5 years - random badges, gaudy accenting, take-and-paste aesthetic. Apparently trend has replaced class
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ - Demokratikally Elekted Undersekretary of Peter Panhood of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      Go get some real pizza, like at Costco.
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      Finally, my existence has been validated.

Vehicles
      2011 Golf 2.5, 2003 Jetta 2.0 (sold)
      04-22-2012 12:59 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Ionz13 View Post
      I'm curious what car does this today? I haven't seen this yet.

I think the LED lights thing should die. Just a phase like Altezzas I hope.
      I think he meant turn off, like the Audis do with the blinker, which also drives me crazy. I also LOVE the led running lights on the Audis, don't know where all the hate is coming from for those but to each his own
      2011 VW Golf 2.5 5MT "Lola"

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      04-22-2012 01:00 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Chileno View Post
      Does that mean you also grant one to Ford?
      No, but Fords don't all look the same. Or do you mean that because the new Fusion kinda sorta looks like an Aston because of the shape of its headlights and grille and you did not understand my comment?

Vehicles
      1988 Trans Am
      04-22-2012 01:03 PM #35
      Monstrous wheel arches that make even 20" wheels look small.

Vehicles
      '07 Civic Hy, '93 940, '85 740
      04-22-2012 01:17 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by sticky euro View Post
      Fair enough, and obviously to each his own. But if you were to bag even a GTI, a "hot-hatch" which is meant to be sporty and fun to drive, why would you ruin it by running bags, and stretched tires? Not to mention show rats who run big turbo...and bags. It just doesn't make sense, why not just buy a golf?
      The way bags are now, it could handle just about the same with them.

Vehicles
      Mustang GT
      04-22-2012 01:20 PM #37
      now you have a show car with a lot of power- I don't see any problem with that. They didn't build it to run the 'ring and if they wanted sporty and fun to drive for the same price they could have built a Caterham, obviously the GTI is somewhere in the middle of the style/comfort/performance/price matrix.

The only thing that really annoys me about the "stance" crowd is when people can't critique car customization as art. Stance, Hot Rod, whatever, when you add an element of artistic expression to your custom car there is going to be room for people to say what they like and don't like about it, (I'm talking aesthetics here) If someone doesn't like the style of a custom car it isn't automatically because they "don't get it".
      The good news: I gave up on being one of the cool kids!

13. Member
      Vehicles
      1996 BMW 328i
      04-22-2012 01:20 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by devianb View Post
      Monstrous wheel arches that make even 20" wheels look small.
      This as well as the big, heavy looking 20" wheels that go inside them.

14. 04-22-2012 01:26 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      No, but Fords don't all look the same. Or do you mean that because the new Fusion kinda sorta looks like an Aston because of the shape of its headlights and grille and you did not understand my comment?
      Or I completely understood your comment and I was making reference to the fusion's very obviously borrowed design elements in a sort of snickering kind of way. I don't know if you meant to sound hostile for no apparent reason but you did. Maybe I should have put a after my comment.. Please don't kill me.

15. 04-22-2012 01:35 PM #40
      lol at 19 inch wheels should only be on trucks

Vehicles
      15 BMW 3-97 4Runner-07 CR-V (84/85 Sciroccos RIP/77 Rabbit RIP/etc)
      04-22-2012 01:38 PM #41
      china copying everyone

Vehicles
      '08 Jetta
      04-22-2012 01:48 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Bias_Ply View Post
      now you have a show car with a lot of power- I don't see any problem with that. They didn't build it to run the 'ring and if they wanted sporty and fun to drive for the same price they could have built a Caterham, obviously the GTI is somewhere in the middle of the style/comfort/performance/price matrix.
      But why would you build a show car with high power numbers if you had no intention of spirited driving, let alone tracking it? Pouring thousands of dollars into a car so the engine bay makes people go "wow" just doesn't make sense unless you're overly self-conscious, and even then, there's a pill for that.

Vehicles
      '07 Civic Hy, '93 940, '85 740
      04-22-2012 02:10 PM #43
      But why would you build a show car with high power numbers if you had no intention of spirited driving, let alone tracking it? Pouring thousands of dollars into a car so the engine bay makes people go "wow" just doesn't make sense unless you're overly self-conscious, and even then, there's a pill for that.
      It's because people like different things.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda5
      04-22-2012 02:21 PM #44
      Protruding lights:

Big picture so it bugs the crap out of you, too.
      I wish I had a cool car.

20. 04-22-2012 03:26 PM #45
      Some people really need to be admired; or need to win trophies and bitches.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aperture View Post
      That door handle is horrible. I wish they would've used a flap-style integrated into the crease.
      Quote Originally Posted by mikegilbert View Post
      I would love to spin you off the road into a ditch.

21. 04-22-2012 03:41 PM #46
      stance
      /thread. Nothing annoys me more than nutswingers who attempt to justify form over function. imad.
      He didn't design cars but Frank Lloyd Wright became a design icon endorsing form over function.

That said, I realize your point and it is valid many times but most lowered cars are following the form over function model.

Sorry, I just felt the need to ramble.

22. 04-22-2012 03:53 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by burtonxbordr94 View Post
      I think he meant turn off, like the Audis do with the blinker, which also drives me crazy.
      No, it's a good thing that DRLs deactivate when indicating. It makes the turn signal more conspicuous to other drivers.

I also LOVE the led running lights on the Audis, don't know where all the hate is coming from for those but to each his own
      They would look much better if the LEDs were behind a light guide to make their appearance look like one continuous unit rather than discrete points of light.

Vehicles
      '08 Jetta
      04-22-2012 04:11 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
      He didn't design cars but Frank Lloyd Wright became a design icon endorsing form over function.

That said, I realize your point and it is valid many times but most lowered cars are following the form over function model.

Sorry, I just felt the need to ramble.
      thats the key word.

Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      04-22-2012 04:16 PM #49
      Carbon copy designs such as Volkswagen.

Even worse is carbon copy designs that have ugly flame surfacing and giant gaping maw grilles.
      flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      04-22-2012 04:19 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post
      It's because people like different things.

Seriously buddy, get over it.

And you can drive a car on bags with stretched tires in a spirited manner.

Bags can be raised. Modern bags perform almost as good as stock suspension. That 215 stretched tire is really no worse than the 225 that came stock. Performance mods don't cease to work just because you stretched a tire and lowered the car.
      flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast