Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which new automotive trend needs to die?

Vehicles
      '93 940, '95 SL1, '88 740, '85 740
      04-22-2012 01:17 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by sticky euro View Post
      Fair enough, and obviously to each his own. But if you were to bag even a GTI, a "hot-hatch" which is meant to be sporty and fun to drive, why would you ruin it by running bags, and stretched tires? Not to mention show rats who run big turbo...and bags. It just doesn't make sense, why not just buy a golf?
      The way bags are now, it could handle just about the same with them.

Vehicles
      Mustang GT
      04-22-2012 01:20 PM #37
      Fair enough, and obviously to each his own. But if you were to bag even a GTI, a "hot-hatch" which is meant to be sporty and fun to drive, why would you ruin it by running bags, and stretched tires? Not to mention show rats who run big turbo...and bags. It just doesn't make sense, why not just buy a golf?
      now you have a show car with a lot of power- I don't see any problem with that. They didn't build it to run the 'ring and if they wanted sporty and fun to drive for the same price they could have built a Caterham, obviously the GTI is somewhere in the middle of the style/comfort/performance/price matrix.

The only thing that really annoys me about the "stance" crowd is when people can't critique car customization as art. Stance, Hot Rod, whatever, when you add an element of artistic expression to your custom car there is going to be room for people to say what they like and don't like about it, (I'm talking aesthetics here) If someone doesn't like the style of a custom car it isn't automatically because they "don't get it".
      The good news: I gave up on being one of the cool kids!

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1996 BMW 328i
      04-22-2012 01:20 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by devianb View Post
      Monstrous wheel arches that make even 20" wheels look small.
      This as well as the big, heavy looking 20" wheels that go inside them.

4. 04-22-2012 01:26 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      No, but Fords don't all look the same. Or do you mean that because the new Fusion kinda sorta looks like an Aston because of the shape of its headlights and grille and you did not understand my comment?
      Or I completely understood your comment and I was making reference to the fusion's very obviously borrowed design elements in a sort of snickering kind of way. I don't know if you meant to sound hostile for no apparent reason but you did. Maybe I should have put a after my comment.. Please don't kill me.

5. 04-22-2012 01:35 PM #40
      lol at 19 inch wheels should only be on trucks

6. 04-22-2012 01:38 PM #41
      china copying everyone

Vehicles
      '08 Jetta
      04-22-2012 01:48 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Bias_Ply View Post
      now you have a show car with a lot of power- I don't see any problem with that. They didn't build it to run the 'ring and if they wanted sporty and fun to drive for the same price they could have built a Caterham, obviously the GTI is somewhere in the middle of the style/comfort/performance/price matrix.
      But why would you build a show car with high power numbers if you had no intention of spirited driving, let alone tracking it? Pouring thousands of dollars into a car so the engine bay makes people go "wow" just doesn't make sense unless you're overly self-conscious, and even then, there's a pill for that.

Vehicles
      04-22-2012 02:10 PM #43
      But why would you build a show car with high power numbers if you had no intention of spirited driving, let alone tracking it? Pouring thousands of dollars into a car so the engine bay makes people go "wow" just doesn't make sense unless you're overly self-conscious, and even then, there's a pill for that.
      It's because people like different things.

Vehicles
      car
      04-22-2012 02:21 PM #44
      Protruding lights:

Big picture so it bugs the crap out of you, too.
      I wish I had a cool car.

10. 04-22-2012 03:26 PM #45
      Some people really need to be admired; or need to win trophies and bitches.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aperture View Post
      That door handle is horrible. I wish they would've used a flap-style integrated into the crease.
      Quote Originally Posted by mikegilbert View Post
      I would love to spin you off the road into a ditch.

11. 04-22-2012 03:41 PM #46
      stance
      /thread. Nothing annoys me more than nutswingers who attempt to justify form over function. imad.
      He didn't design cars but Frank Lloyd Wright became a design icon endorsing form over function.

That said, I realize your point and it is valid many times but most lowered cars are following the form over function model.

Sorry, I just felt the need to ramble.

12. 04-22-2012 03:53 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by burtonxbordr94 View Post
      I think he meant turn off, like the Audis do with the blinker, which also drives me crazy.
      No, it's a good thing that DRLs deactivate when indicating. It makes the turn signal more conspicuous to other drivers.

I also LOVE the led running lights on the Audis, don't know where all the hate is coming from for those but to each his own
      They would look much better if the LEDs were behind a light guide to make their appearance look like one continuous unit rather than discrete points of light.

Vehicles
      '08 Jetta
      04-22-2012 04:11 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
      He didn't design cars but Frank Lloyd Wright became a design icon endorsing form over function.

That said, I realize your point and it is valid many times but most lowered cars are following the form over function model.

Sorry, I just felt the need to ramble.
      thats the key word.

Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      04-22-2012 04:16 PM #49
      Carbon copy designs such as Volkswagen.

Even worse is carbon copy designs that have ugly flame surfacing and giant gaping maw grilles.
      flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      04-22-2012 04:19 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post
      It's because people like different things.

Seriously buddy, get over it.

And you can drive a car on bags with stretched tires in a spirited manner.

Bags can be raised. Modern bags perform almost as good as stock suspension. That 215 stretched tire is really no worse than the 225 that came stock. Performance mods don't cease to work just because you stretched a tire and lowered the car.
      flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

Vehicles
      15 VW GTI
      04-22-2012 04:21 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      - LEDs, halos, any kind of lights which are one step above a PepBoys special

I hate these!! And VW, yours are among the worst!!! Stop this hideous trend and think up something different. Simple and tasteful would be nice.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      04-22-2012 04:32 PM #52
      The LED rhinestones are getting way out of control.

Catfish mouth can go away too. Eck.
      '12 Trek X-caliber // '11 Cervélo R3 // '90 Havnoonian custom
      2010 VW GTI

Vehicles
      '08 Jetta
      04-22-2012 05:14 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by zaYG View Post

Seriously buddy, get over it.

And you can drive a car on bags with stretched tires in a spirited manner.

Bags can be raised. Modern bags perform almost as good as stock suspension. That 215 stretched tire is really no worse than the 225 that came stock. Performance mods don't cease to work just because you stretched a tire and lowered the car.

Yes, a 215 is generally no worse than a 225 when put on the same stock wheel. But, when you put a 215 on say a 10" wide wheel, thats some pretty serious stretch, not to mention incredibly unsafe. Sure, performance mods will work fine on stretched tires, staggered wheels on FWD cars, and bags, but enjoy that understeer bro.

If you want to wrap your BBS with rubber bands be my guest, but there is no way you can make a valid argument that idiotic stretched tires work just as well.

Vehicles
      97 Jetta GL, 05 F150, 71 C10
      04-22-2012 05:49 PM #54
      -19"+ Wheels on small cars need to die. I want my 13" and 14" wheels back.
      -17"+ Wheels on trucks need to die. My old trucks towed/stopped just fine with smaller diameter brakes (Geez a set of tires on a newer truck will set you back a grand or more now for cheap crap aka: Goodyear's)
      -The CVT Transmission
      -Lack of Manual transmission options (2012 F350 Super Crew Diesel does not have a MT option, neither do a lot of cars it seems)
      -Hydraulic Clutch's (These are even making their way into the Class 8 Vehicle market now....)
      -Retro Muscle car design (the Mustang, Camero, and Charger look like crap compared to the old ones)
      -Pulsing Turn signals (Like on the New style mustangs)

Vehicles
      2014 BMW 228i M Sport, 2015 BMW X1 xDrive28i
      04-22-2012 05:49 PM #55
      ^ wow.

Back story? (busted up Nissan).
      Sports, cars, sports cars.

Vehicles
      02 330i, 09 Flex, 01 Wrangler
      04-22-2012 05:53 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B. View Post
      Not new but, stretch and poke. "Stanced" so low retarded low you make everyone wait behind you while you drive over a pebble at a snails pace
      I've gotta go with this one.

Vehicles
      04-22-2012 05:53 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by 18thHole View Post
      ^ wow.

Back story? (busted up Nissan).
      hit a curb drifting

Vehicles
      '08 Acura TL
      04-22-2012 06:00 PM #59
      BMW's gear selectors, when mounted on the console. The design makes sense if they're column shift, but if it's not going to save space on the console, why bother?

"Cut and paste" styling that doesn't translate. I FINALLY figured out that what Ford tried to do with the Fiesta sedan rear end was to make it look like a small Taurus. An OK idea at a boardroom meeting, but the end product looks...well, you be the judge.

Last edited by Lifelong Obsession; 04-22-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Vehicles
      2013 Audi S7
      04-22-2012 06:02 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by burtonxbordr94 View Post
      I think he meant turn off, like the Audis do with the blinker, which also drives me crazy. I also LOVE the led running lights on the Audis, don't know where all the hate is coming from for those but to each his own
      No, I think he meant cornering lights like all BMWs and some Audi/VWs and other luxury cars have okay. I have them on my CC and think they work well.
      Last edited by RS-SIX; 04-22-2012 at 06:04 PM.

25. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-22-2012 06:04 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by -DWM- View Post
      Protruding lights:
      Big picture so it bugs the crap out of you, too.
      Many years ago- I used to read about this company or that company working with the IIHS on a new model design to try and reduce insurance repair costs (and thus- insurance premiums).
      I assume they all gave up working with the IIHS to reduce repair costs looking at these new headlights that protrude out enough to guarantee they will get busted in even the smallest corner impact.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      1998 Audi A4 2.8Q, 1968 Mercury Cougar XR7
      04-22-2012 06:08 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
      -Brodozers
      -Stancing (I refuse to use stance as a verb), and I can't stand waiting for them to pull into a lot.
      Not to start anything, but what's so different about waiting for a "stanced" car pull into a lot and something like a super car?

27. Member
      Vehicles
      1996 BMW 328i
      04-22-2012 06:16 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by crazexr7 View Post
      Not to start anything, but what's so different about waiting for a "stanced" car pull into a lot and something like a super car?
      I think you are trying to start something. Who said it's any fun to wait for super cars?

28. Junior Member NeedsMoreBoost's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 BRZ
      04-22-2012 06:18 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by crazexr7 View Post
      Lots of supercars (ex. Carrera GT, Enzo) come equipped with hydraulics to raise the front end a bit to get over curbs and sketchy pavement.

29. 04-22-2012 06:25 PM #65
      I know it's not new, but I wish I never had to see a car with a bass boat glitter paint job or a set of 26"-30" wheels on an old car that was originally made with 14"s or any car for that matter. I know it's a personal taste thing but it looks like shat.

30. Member
      04-22-2012 06:31 PM #66
      Car Colors. Most cars have an exciting color selection of

White, Silver, Grey, Dark Grey, Dark Blue, Black

Blue may not even be included. Why cant we have brighter colors, design cars to look good with pastels and such. This is probably why I loved cars from the 50s,60s and 70s. There was so many vibrant colors.

Larger Wheels also suck. The price of rubber is expensive, and forcing me to get an 19+inch wheel is more than I can afford pal.

High Belt lines suck. They cause windows to become smaller, Wheels to become larger, and make cars seem fatter.

Last but not least, Headlight designs. In my opinion, cars from this era won't age as well as others from before. A simpler headlight design helps a car age, just look at a lot of cars from the bubble headlight time (Mercedes, I'm looking at you). They aged pretty badly. Now look at the 3rd gen TL, the headlights are a simple horizontal design, nothing fancy. The car looks amazing to this day.

I know the design of the car has a lot to do with it, but cars that follow headlight trends tend to age terribly because once a new headlight design comes out, the old one immediately looks bad.

Vehicles
      2005 VW GTI 1.8t, 2007 Audi A4 2.0t
      04-22-2012 06:44 PM #67
      I hate this new trend with lame LED strips or headlight designs. Check out the LED strip on the Porsches and you will see the lame afterthought they appear to be.

Fake vents are everywhere and look and are terrible.

Fake carbon fiber items kills me too

32. 04-22-2012 06:45 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by invisiblewar View Post

Blue may not even be included. Why cant we have brighter colors, design cars to look good with pastels and such. This is probably why I loved cars from the 50s,60s and 70s. There was so many vibrant colors.

Larger Wheels also suck. The price of rubber is expensive, and forcing me to get an 19+inch wheel is more than I can afford pal.

High Belt lines suck. They cause windows to become smaller, Wheels to become larger, and make cars seem fatter.

Last but not least, Headlight designs. In my opinion, cars from this era won't age as well as others from before. A simpler headlight design helps a car age, just look at a lot of cars from the bubble headlight time (Mercedes, I'm looking at you). They aged pretty badly. Now look at the 3rd gen TL, the headlights are a simple horizontal design, nothing fancy. The car looks amazing to this day.

I know the design of the car has a lot to do with it, but cars that follow headlight trends tend to age terribly because once a new headlight design comes out, the old one immediately looks bad.
      Design and headlights have nothing to do with it. People just don't buy those colors because they prefer to be safe.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aperture View Post
      That door handle is horrible. I wish they would've used a flap-style integrated into the crease.
      Quote Originally Posted by mikegilbert View Post
      I would love to spin you off the road into a ditch.

33. 04-22-2012 07:05 PM #69
      http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s/viewall.html

Notice the dashboards on these cars? They are all the same!
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      I got the (RX8) engine replaced at 112K miles not because it failed but because I hit a pig on the interstate.

34. 04-22-2012 07:20 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by invisiblewar View Post

I was out having breakfast with the wife the other day and I noted this to her. That was pretty much the line-up of colors and then it would repeat itself.

Surely a company could come up with some good looking two tone designs. Even many of the colors are bland and subdued. One break from this has been the Copper that has been somewhat popular lately. I haven't figured out whether I like the color or not yet or if I just like seeing a different color now and then.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast