Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Questions from a T4 noob...

1. Member
      Vehicles
      93 Eurovan GL, 95 Passat GLX wagon
      04-22-2012 11:10 PM #1
      Hey all, just bought a 93 EV GL beater to haul youth around in. But I'm not against cleaning it up and tinkering
      Owned 42 cars now, 38 have been VW's, but this is my first Transporter.
      Wondering about some things.
      1) My bumpers are all black. On models that got color coded bumpers are they still the textured plastic? 1a) Are the facelift T4 rear bumpers 1 piece and do they fit an earlier T4?
      2) Did VW ever offer fog lights as an option? not seeing anything really OEM on Ebay or _____.
      3) I read that you'll really wear out the shoulders of tires if they're not the correct load rating. Has this been your experience with larger wheels and lower profile tires?
      4) Do Facelift rear disc brakes bolt on? I assume so, knowing VW...
      5) Are the slider knobs for the front heater controls the same as any other VW?

I'll add more questions as I think of them.
      Thanks for any and all input!

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 T4 2.5TDI manual Trakka camper, '06 Golf TDI manual, '01 Polo 16V manual, '09 Tiguan TDI manual.
      04-23-2012 12:31 AM #2
      Here's a writeup on installing rear discs to an early model.
      http://greaseworks.blogspot.com.au/2...rear-disc.html

3. 04-23-2012 03:53 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Kwabena View Post
      Hey all, just bought a 93 EV GL beater to haul youth around in. But I'm not against cleaning it up and tinkering
      Owned 42 cars now, 38 have been VW's, but this is my first Transporter.
      Wondering about some things.
      1) My bumpers are all black. On models that got color coded bumpers are they still the textured plastic? 1a) Are the facelift T4 rear bumpers 1 piece and do they fit an earlier T4?
      Color-coded ones are smooth.

Rear bumpers from a facelifted model should fit but you might need not only the bumper but some bracketry as well. Front won't fit from the "long nose" facelift (such as the VR6) but it will fit from the (rare in NA) 1997 Transporter (Canadian model) which was "short nose" but got a facelifted bumper.

2) Did VW ever offer fog lights as an option? not seeing anything really OEM on Ebay or _____.
      I have seen a few Canadian units with OE fogs but no US ones. They were like this for the short-nose vans:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-T4-Bus-Tra...item53eb4ae506

3) I read that you'll really wear out the shoulders of tires if they're not the correct load rating. Has this been your experience with larger wheels and lower profile tires?
      It's outright tire failure that I'd be worried about. I had some belt separation on mine (the PO used 93-loaded tires, far underrated).

4) Do Facelift rear disc brakes bolt on? I assume so, knowing VW...
      Yes if you swap the entire trailing arm the trailing arm bolts up.

5) Are the slider knobs for the front heater controls the same as any other VW?
      Not sure on that one. While they resembled my Mk2 Golf unit, the levers and knobs were "upside down" so to speak. Passats and Corrados back then got rotary knobs for everything so I am guessing no (not shared) because I can't think of another VW of the time that used these other than the Mk2 Golf/Jetta and it's subtly different.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      93 Eurovan GL, 95 Passat GLX wagon
      04-23-2012 07:13 PM #4
      Thanks for the comments Matt, I've been reading some of your other posts and you seem to have a good knowledge base.

Anybody got at old Bentley repair manual set for sale under $100?