Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Bug and tar removal

1. Member
      04-22-2012 11:32 PM #1
      I am in search of the best products/techniques to remove bug, tar and sap from paint surfaces? I have done a lot of reading and found that some like the all purpose cleaner degreaser and some use the bug and tar eraser.

What products and techniques work best for the folks here?
      2011 GTI 4dr Candy white
      2011 Tiguan
      2003 GTI 1.8T (sol)
      2005 C55 AMG (Sold)

04-23-2012 12:08 AM #2
      Bugs .. lay a fleece type blanket over the front of the car and soak it and let it sit on there to rehydrate the bugs. Biggest key .. wash them off often .. the longer they are on the harder they are to remove and some are acidic and will etch the clear.

Tar ... Naptha ... hardware store paint solvent for oil based house paint . Saturate a cloth and wet the tarred area and keep it wetted .. letting the solvent break the tar down. Don't go rubbing on it to do it .. a lot of tar can contain sand. I'm not a fan of the canned solutions. Also watch out if they contain Xylene .. not clear friendly.

Sap ... Rubbing Alcohol , and in some cases terpintine, depending on the sap/pitch.. same as above let it dwell and do the job. Also don't let the sap sit on the clear some will permenently stain it.

Vehicles
      1993 Corrado, 2001 330Ci
      04-23-2012 04:45 PM #3
      duragloss bug and tar remover

Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Sportline, Black
      08-07-2012 02:53 PM #5
      Just to let you know what does NOT work... Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover...

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      08-07-2012 04:55 PM #6
      I had a recent episode with some asphalt dust covering my car from a nearby plant:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...9-Asphalt-Dust...

I tried Stoner's Tarminator for the first time and it worked pretty well even without scrubbing. I sprayed down most of the car with it, let sit, then rinse off. It got rid of probably 60% of the stuff. The rest I clayed off....The thing is this is pretty greasy and if you had to use as much as I did I'd recommend wash the car again....

6. 08-08-2012 09:28 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesstzn View Post
      Bugs .. lay a fleece type blanket over the front of the car and soak it and let it sit on there to rehydrate the bugs. Biggest key .. wash them off often .. the longer they are on the harder they are to remove and some are acidic and will etch the clear.

Tar ... Naptha ... hardware store paint solvent for oil based house paint . Saturate a cloth and wet the tarred area and keep it wetted .. letting the solvent break the tar down. Don't go rubbing on it to do it .. a lot of tar can contain sand. I'm not a fan of the canned solutions. Also watch out if they contain Xylene .. not clear friendly.

Sap ... Rubbing Alcohol , and in some cases terpintine, depending on the sap/pitch.. same as above let it dwell and do the job. Also don't let the sap sit on the clear some will permenently stain it.
      Everything stated here is on point.

For me, Optimums No Rinse in a spray bottle and Optimums Opti-Clean also in a spray bottle work great as bug pretreaters. if the surface hasn't been maintained with a wax or sealant they'll most likely eat into the clear in which case some polishing by hand after washing will probably be necessary.

Vehicles
      04 R32
      08-08-2012 11:16 AM #8
      for tar and sap(even gum that flung up on the side) ive always used wd-40. it breaks it down fast and its easy removal. idk if there is an issue with wd, ive always heard/read its safe

bugs i just wash them off as soon as possible with soap and water.

Vehicles
      MK4 TRP R32
      08-10-2012 04:32 PM #9
      Eagle One Wipe and Shine.

I know its sounds like a stretch but this stuff works magic as not only a quick detailer but also for (miraculously) removing bugs and tar. I discovered it by accident and will never use anything else to remove insects and road grime. This all IMO but give it a try!

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-One-2088.../dp/B00062YCHY

Vehicles
      2003 Audi A4
      09-06-2012 04:11 PM #10
      Stoner's Tarminator works really well. I seemed to blow thru a can fairly quickly but it works amazingly.

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      09-07-2012 11:17 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by uberyobs View Post
      Stoner's Tarminator works really well.

agreed.
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

Vehicles
      2 57 Bel Airs 65 Corvair 66 SS396 68 Dart 73 Vette 86 Golf 97 GTI 99/04 Neons & a truck
      09-12-2012 11:39 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by TragicallyHip View Post
      Just to let you know what does NOT work... Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover...
      Ugh I hate that stuff SO MUCH! Not only does it not work, it's all oily and gross like Engine Brite... so hard to get all the residue off. Surf City's Grime Destroyer changed my life