Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Reseal whole IP or just the leakers

Vehicles
      97 Jetta TDI, 89 Fox diesel, 92 300SD turbo, 82 GS1100E
      04-23-2012 01:53 AM #1
      My TD IP has developed some leaks. It's currently installed on the Fox 1.6na out of necessity but it had been on the shelf for a while so I expected some leaks.

My biggest question is whether to redo the whole pump or only the leaks. It's leaking at the distributor head, shaft seal and cold start advance...which means it has to come off the car.

I have a complete kit so a full reseal could be done...

comments?

Also, I can't find the specifics on replacing the distributor head o-ring where it talks about turning the pump to specific location so that the springs etc don't fall out when you back-off the dist head bolts, so if anyone has that link or info lmk.

thx

Vehicles
      04-24-2012 03:40 PM #2
      Remarkable...no one has an opinion on this?

At any rate I dismantled the whole pump, which was good because the timing advance chamber was loaded with crap.

Now I'm on to the reassembly part but there's one final sticking point....should a person dismantle the distributor head if the valves weren't leaking?

I've never seen a VW with leaky distributor valves and the history of a successful removal of the valves is questionable. What I read is that people end up breaking these when they try and take them apart...after all, they are brass.

Any comments on this aspect?

thx

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1 clunker & 2 nicer clunkers
      04-24-2012 08:10 PM #3
      Unless you want to make sure there's no build up in there leave them alone. I've never had an issue getting them out, but maybe I got lucky.

-Todd

Vehicles
      04-25-2012 12:23 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
      Unless you want to make sure there's no build up in there leave them alone. I've never had an issue getting them out, but maybe I got lucky.

-Todd
      Thanks for the advice, I ended up leaving the distributor valves alone. They weren't leaking before so probably they'll start leaking now...we'll see.