Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Watching simultaneous autcross videos

Vehicles
      2006 HairDresserMobile
      04-23-2012 10:58 AM #1
      I don't post outside of the car lounge much so many people here might not know me at all.

I am working on a website where a person can watch simultaneous car videos side by side, the idea is to watch multiple autox runs and see where a person took a better line or to just compare runs. The videos are hosted on youtube and are streamed on the site.

The site is very much a work in progress and the worst part is that I have very limited content.

If you are interested, visit my site, give me critique and let me know if this idea is stupid or if it might be useful to you as an autocroser. Also if you want email me and I will give you instructions on how to post your videos.

whipit.sytes.net

(In the cornfields west of) Allentown, PA
      Vehicles
      Miata, Maverick, GTV6, VibeGT
      04-23-2012 02:22 PM #2
      Did not click on your link, however, two critical things that must be accomplished for your idea to be helpful:

-Ability to control start times of the two videos to within 0.1 second

-Force the videos to start at the designated time. Unlike, for example, youtube doubler, in which one video frequently loads and begins playing before the other.

This is probably most easily accomplished by allowing the videos to load fully, and then a start time to be selected for each without forcing a reload of the whole page like YTD currently does. Not everyone has the perfect internet connection.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
      What kind of ass backwards world do you live in where your Miata is broken and your Alfa is your reliable source of transportation?

Vehicles
      2006 HairDresserMobile
      04-23-2012 02:45 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Roadkilled78 View Post
      Did not click on your link, however, two critical things that must be accomplished for your idea to be helpful:

-Ability to control start times of the two videos to within 0.1 second

-Force the videos to start at the designated time. Unlike, for example, youtube doubler, in which one video frequently loads and begins playing before the other.

This is probably most easily accomplished by allowing the videos to load fully, and then a start time to be selected for each without forcing a reload of the whole page like YTD currently does. Not everyone has the perfect internet connection.
      Thanks for the comments, keep them coming.

I can only control the videos in whole second increments, that is all that youtube's api allows.

If the machine load is not high the videos are pretty good as far as syncing.

The start times are selected when the video is posted, not during playback, so when a visitor wants to see a particular run all they do is open the page.

I am guessing you didn't click because you are afraid the site is sketchy and so am I, but no worries I still appreciate the suggestions.

Vehicles
      04-23-2012 04:04 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post
      I can only control the videos in whole second increments, that is all that youtube's api allows.
      That is a shame, limits its usefulness to me, at least. If I'm trying to figure out where my codriver got me by 0.5 seconds, it's really hard to tell when the runs aren't synced from the start.

Yes, I can set my own start points precisely in pre-upload editing, but that only helps so much. Say I want to see who did 'x' slalom better in the middle of the course, or maybe I want to compare my video to the local hotshoe that isn't too computer literate and uploaded his entire video from the moment he turned on the camera? () No go.
      What kind of ass backwards world do you live in where your Miata is broken and your Alfa is your reliable source of transportation?

Vehicles
      2006 HairDresserMobile
      04-23-2012 04:10 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Roadkilled78 View Post
      That is a shame, limits its usefulness to me, at least. If I'm trying to figure out where my codriver got me by 0.5 seconds, it's really hard to tell when the runs aren't synced from the start.

Yes, I can set my own start points precisely in pre-upload editing, but that only helps so much. Say I want to see who did 'x' slalom better in the middle of the course, or maybe I want to compare my video to the local hotshoe that isn't too computer literate and uploaded his entire video from the moment he turned on the camera? () No go.
      The videos are synched, just in whole second increments.

If for example you turned on your go pro 7 seconds before start and on a different run you turned it on 20 seconds before the run then when you upload you specify that the first video should play from 7 seconds in and the second from 20 seconds in so they will be pretty well in sync.

I would like to have a finer control and I am looking into it but it seems like a very difficult problem because I am not hosting the videos and because the whole process for uplaoding needs to be somewhat streamlined.

Vehicles
      04-23-2012 04:38 PM #6
      The videos are synched, just in whole second increments.

If for example you turned on your go pro 7 seconds before start and on a different run you turned it on 20 seconds before the run then when you upload you specify that the first video should play from 7 seconds in and the second from 20 seconds in so they will be pretty well in sync.
      Understood. And I get that you are limited by YouTube's 1-second resolution limit. What I am saying is that's a major downfall of YTDoubler to me, and it's a shame nothing better can be done.

Vehicles
      2006 HairDresserMobile
      04-25-2012 01:26 AM #7
      Thanks for the comment, I changed a few things around. The search bar is at the top and the background is cleaner.

feel free to check it out

8. Member
      Vehicles
      A unicorn
      04-26-2012 08:53 AM #8
      Thanks for the comment, I changed a few things around. The search bar is at the top and the background is cleaner.

feel free to check it out
      Site looks good I will give it a run after may 6th when me and co-driver run event.
      Also sent you request on fb
      J&J autosport
      Catch me if you can
      Supercharged Rwd b5--http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...build-timeline