Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: vw-tim's 1979 Rabbit Diesel Build Thread!

06-15-2012 03:58 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by The Kilted Yaksman View Post
      Looks to me like the front clip was replaced, with the cut behind the passenger strut tower and in front of the drivers strut tower. Possibly from a severe accident.
      yeah it did get hit on that side why im not really surprised ha car seems straight though

06-19-2012 08:09 PM #107
      anyone know where i can buy injector to injector fuel lines the small grey threaded lines at or what can i use there?

Vehicles
      2014 Golf TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel LS
      06-19-2012 08:45 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by vw-tim View Post
      anyone know where i can buy injector to injector fuel lines the small grey threaded lines at or what can i use there?
      http://stores.ebay.com/Mk1-Autohaus

It isn't listed on his store, but the guy has all sorts of stuff I can't find anywhere else or at least a better price. Message him and ask would be my suggestion
      LET'S SEE IF THESE BASTARDS CAN DO 90!

06-20-2012 01:39 AM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubing_it_25 View Post
      http://stores.ebay.com/Mk1-Autohaus

It isn't listed on his store, but the guy has all sorts of stuff I can't find anywhere else or at least a better price. Message him and ask would be my suggestion
      yeah i was just thinking about doing that thanks man!

06-20-2012 02:29 AM #110
      autozone does sell what they call fuel lines but they just ruber hoses pretty much sell em 1 a foot you think if i just went with that it wouldnt really matter?

Vehicles
      06-20-2012 10:47 AM #111
      autozone does sell what they call fuel lines but they just ruber hoses pretty much sell em 1 a foot you think if i just went with that it wouldnt really matter?
      The issue is that modern diesel is very aggressive on petroleum based hardware such as the plastic and rubber fuel lines. Make sure it's something that is specifically designed for diesel fuel. IMHO

Ultimately it depends on how long you want it to last. A lot of things will work fine, but will start to crack and leak prematurely.

06-20-2012 12:21 PM #112
      The issue is that modern diesel is very aggressive on petroleum based hardware such as the plastic and rubber fuel lines. Make sure it's something that is specifically designed for diesel fuel. IMHO

Ultimately it depends on how long you want it to last. A lot of things will work fine, but will start to crack and leak prematurely.
      yeahh thats kind what the guy was saying at autozone... i guess im go with the autozone and just see how long they last? its worth a try just in til i can figure out where to get the correct ones i send a message to ebay guy havent heard anything yet...

06-20-2012 12:37 PM #113
      so randomly stumbled upon this website!

https://www.belmetric.com/hoses-brai...-c-14_138.html

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      06-20-2012 12:39 PM #114
      They should have lines that are fine for diesel. Just make sure that you specify that's what you need. I know we got new lines...can't remember from where though. Its been awhile. Pretty sure some of our lines are viton. But we also want to run biodiesel in the future, so not only do they need to be good for diesel, but biodiesel, which is even worse.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 186k+, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 130k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 135k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

10. Member
      Vehicles
      1980 Rabbit "C" two door, 5spd malagda red, 1986 Vanagon Westfalia auto, 2013 VW Golf TDI Wagon 6spd
      06-20-2012 01:07 PM #115
      "anyone know where i can buy injector to injector fuel lines the small grey threaded lines at or what can i use there? " -VW dealers sell them by the foot. They are still used as return lines on diesel cars. If you don't mind the premium price, you can get them there.

RE: threadlocking clutch components. Threadlock everything. Last thing you want is to be driving down the road and a bolt comes loose in your clutch assembly.

Chris

06-20-2012 01:23 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by chrissev2 View Post
      "anyone know where i can buy injector to injector fuel lines the small grey threaded lines at or what can i use there? " -VW dealers sell them by the foot. They are still used as return lines on diesel cars. If you don't mind the premium price, you can get them there.

RE: threadlocking clutch components. Threadlock everything. Last thing you want is to be driving down the road and a bolt comes loose in your clutch assembly.

Chris
      thread lock i did got that all locked down! haha and yeah im not ready to go to the stealership and drop my pants and bend over just yet... lol

12. 06-20-2012 01:36 PM #117
      Yeah, forget the dealer.
      http://www.autohausaz.com has the line you need.

13. 06-20-2012 01:45 PM #118
      http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...1284971@RABBIT &year=1980&cid=22@Fuel %26 Air System&gid=6352@Fuel Hose/Line

States for vacuum and Diesel return. So the factory vacuum hose I have will work? I was afraid to use it.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      1980 Rabbit "C" two door, 5spd malagda red, 1986 Vanagon Westfalia auto, 2013 VW Golf TDI Wagon 6spd
      06-20-2012 10:29 PM #119
      Re: vacuum hose: yup, that is what it is. The same thing. I used to get it from the local boneyard until they ran out of old rabbits. If you find a rabbit in a boneyard somewhere, just take all the vacuum line. It is diesel return hose, exact same thing.

Chris

15. 06-22-2012 06:15 PM #120
      Nice, I have a meter of that stuff.

06-23-2012 12:54 AM #121
      well little update got the engine all completely put back together now just need to get it back in the car!

what should i look at doing like steps to take for start up? ill re check timing make sure thats on point but what else needs to be done how should i prep the fuel and stuff? i remember reading about automatic transmission fluid using that filling up the fuel filter with it but should i fill up the IP with diesel put diesel in the line how should i prime it? tips and suggestions welcome

06-23-2012 09:45 PM #122
      so got the engine in! now just need to hook up all the little stuffs and get this baby running!

06-24-2012 06:31 PM #123
      okay so got the engine in everything on got it cranking my inginition switch is broken or somthing wrong is there... so i just had to jump the starter off the battery with a wire everything cranks i primed the fuel but the injector is not pumping... the stop solenoid is working great already tested it what am i doing wrong how can i get it so the IP pumps fuel?

06-24-2012 07:33 PM #124
      okay update! so i got the fuel flowing the the injectors figured out that issue! and now it wont start up... now i move on to glow plugs i guess? or what should i look for i tested that the glow plug bus is getting 12v and now test each glow plug? any tips that might help or somthing ive over looked?

Vehicles
      06-25-2012 12:40 PM #125
      you have to test how many amps each glow plug draws. I think about 7 each? You can test the whole rail and if it is reading at lest ~28 amps you should be okay. Mine would *peak* at around 40 for a second

06-25-2012 01:31 PM #126
      you have to test how many amps each glow plug draws. I think about 7 each? You can test the whole rail and if it is reading at lest ~28 amps you should be okay. Mine would *peak* at around 40 for a second
      okay so i checked the glow plugs pulled each out and hooked them up to the battery they get red hot! all of them except #3 so i just got another plug i had that works... now what should i check?? injectors take those off and see if they getting fuel into chambers?

06-25-2012 05:29 PM #127
      also this whole time ive been trying to start the car buy jumping the starter because when i turn the key to start position all i hear are clicks... coming from the 52 and other relay boxs why isnt it getting power to the starter? what should i look for to fix this problem?

Vehicles
      84 Rabbit Diesel
      06-25-2012 06:43 PM #128
      Try cracking one or two of the injector lines and cranking it over until fuel spits out and then tighten them up.

if you haven't already.

06-25-2012 06:57 PM #129
      Quote Originally Posted by DieselWabbit84 View Post
      Try cracking one or two of the injector lines and cranking it over until fuel spits out and then tighten them up.

if you haven't already.
      did it tons of fuel on all four of them! ha im thinking maybe my injectors might be clogged or bad idk gonna check them out next

Vehicles
      06-25-2012 08:09 PM #130
      also this whole time ive been trying to start the car buy jumping the starter because when i turn the key to start position all i hear are clicks... coming from the 52 and other relay boxs why isnt it getting power to the starter? what should i look for to fix this problem?
      have you had your battery charged / checked by someone like AutoZone? that to me sounds like a dead or dying battery. The diesel starter needs a real well charged battery

did it tons of fuel on all four of them! ha im thinking maybe my injectors might be clogged or bad idk gonna check them out next
      although this is a likely culprit, it should at least crank well and be about to turn over / run ****ty

06-26-2012 12:51 PM #131
      have you had your battery charged / checked by someone like AutoZone? that to me sounds like a dead or dying battery. The diesel starter needs a real well charged battery

although this is a likely culprit, it should at least crank well and be about to turn over / run ****ty
      yeah ill check the battery i charged it up its one of my spare boat batterys i just hooked up to the sense when i bought it there was no battery in the car to use i just havent picked up a fresh battery yet...

yeah it seems to crank really well but it wont turn over / run... so i think im gonna try and re time everything and then bleed to fuel system to make sure it has no air bubbles and then try it again if no luck i guess im gonna pull out the injectors and see if they working good idk im running out of ideas here! haha

Vehicles
      06-26-2012 12:59 PM #132
      yeah ill check the battery i charged it up its one of my spare boat batterys i just hooked up to the sense when i bought it there was no battery in the car to use i just havent picked up a fresh battery yet...

yeah it seems to crank really well but it wont turn over / run... so i think im gonna try and re time everything and then bleed to fuel system to make sure it has no air bubbles and then try it again if no luck i guess im gonna pull out the injectors and see if they working good idk im running out of ideas here! haha
      It should still run with air in the lines, it's a 'self-bleeding' system, though you will have to pump the pedal. What's your timing look like? Is the pump's TDC synced with the motor's? Have you taken the IP apart? (reason I ask is, I did and I made a mistake that wouldnt allow the engine turn over)

The guy I bought my car from told me to time mine at .95. I believe the Bentley / sticker in the engine bay says .88 +/- .05. I am also at an altitude of 5300-6000ft daily.

The battery should be a group 48. When cold, the engine needs to crank really fast and consistently- the starter on the diesel is much larger and power hogging than that of our gas brotheren

Are you using fresh fuel in a clean tank? If so, have you added cetaine?
      Last edited by vdubing_it_25; 06-26-2012 at 01:05 PM.

06-26-2012 02:27 PM #133
      It should still run with air in the lines, it's a 'self-bleeding' system, though you will have to pump the pedal. What's your timing look like? Is the pump's TDC synced with the motor's? Have you taken the IP apart? (reason I ask is, I did and I made a mistake that wouldnt allow the engine turn over)

The guy I bought my car from told me to time mine at .95. I believe the Bentley / sticker in the engine bay says .88 +/- .05. I am also at an altitude of 5300-6000ft daily.

The battery should be a group 48. When cold, the engine needs to crank really fast and consistently- the starter on the diesel is much larger and power hogging than that of our gas brotheren

Are you using fresh fuel in a clean tank? If so, have you added cetaine?
      i havent taken apart the IP but im not sure its at TCD like synced im gonna look ove the the timing and re do it all i dont have a gauge for IP i was thinking about buying this kit.. but idk

http://www.hansdieselparts.com/VWDie...lsandGauge.htm

so maybe the ip is out of sync with the motor ill re time it and report back! hopefully that will do that trick then!

Vehicles
      06-26-2012 03:17 PM #134
      i havent taken apart the IP but im not sure its at TCD like synced im gonna look ove the the timing and re do it all i dont have a gauge for IP i was thinking about buying this kit.. but idk

http://www.hansdieselparts.com/VWDie...lsandGauge.htm

so maybe the ip is out of sync with the motor ill re time it and report back! hopefully that will do that trick then!
      Idk about that exact kit, but you need something like it. There's no way you'll know empirically that the timing is correct until you have that.

If your IP is at TDC with the motor, then it's just a matter of timing, it should at least get some combustion even if the timing is all shwerka.

What's the status of the fuel / tank? And what's the condition of the rubber fuel line between the tank supply and the filter?
      Last edited by vdubing_it_25; 06-26-2012 at 03:21 PM.

06-27-2012 12:52 PM #135
      Idk about that exact kit, but you need something like it. There's no way you'll know empirically that the timing is correct until you have that.

If your IP is at TDC with the motor, then it's just a matter of timing, it should at least get some combustion even if the timing is all shwerka.

What's the status of the fuel / tank? And what's the condition of the rubber fuel line between the tank supply and the filter?
      hmm okay well im gonna redo the timing today and also on the sproket of the IP i use this hole right?

and is this TDC mark for the IP?

Vehicles
      06-27-2012 01:46 PM #136
      hmm okay well im gonna redo the timing today and also on the sproket of the IP i use this hole right?
      I can't tell off the top of my head if that is the correct hole, I have a mark on the TDC of the pulley. I'll go look at mine here in a bit...
      and is this TDC mark for the IP?
      yes

I need to clarify some things just so we are on the same page and make sure a couple of things are in order...

First, to do the timing, you'll need to torque that bolt down on the IP pulley. Does it have the woodruff key installed? it's a 'half-moon' shaped thing that sits in this groove on the IP shaft:

and the pulley lines up with it on this groove:
      f9c2e221

Second:
      You'll have to pull the valve cover off and loosen the cam pulley with the cam / block set at TDC. there is a tool you need to lock the cam with. The cam stays in place while you adjust the IP, this way the timing belt moves with the pump (timing belt is tensioned appropriately, of course). Once your timing is set, you lock the cam pulley. theres a lot of little tricks to this.
      Last edited by vdubing_it_25; 06-27-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      06-27-2012 02:25 PM #137
      You NEED the timing tools, or at least homemade versions to get the timing right.

Here is a good how-to for the IP that also covers checking the belt as well: http://vincewaldon.com/index.php?opt...d=24&Itemid=28
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 186k+, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 130k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 135k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

Vehicles
      06-27-2012 03:21 PM #138
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      You NEED the timing tools, or at least homemade versions to get the timing right.

Here is a good how-to for the IP that also covers checking the belt as well: http://vincewaldon.com/index.php?opt...d=24&Itemid=28
      good link, I couldn't remember it haha

06-27-2012 03:44 PM #139
      okay so i got everything timed now i dont have a dial indicator so i didnt mess with the IP just left it how it sits made sure it was TDC with the sprocket and stuff but anyway now i go to fire up the car and it seems like its almost there almost gonna start! but it doesnt lol it just is really dumping out white smoke from the exhaust! what should i do now? maybe move the IP towards the engine or farther away? would that maybe do it? i know that adjusts like the IP the way fuel goes in? i just cant think what else to do...

Vehicles
      06-27-2012 04:51 PM #140
      thats what mine did when i had the timing 180 degrees off.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast