Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: vw-tim's 1979 Rabbit Diesel Build Thread!

05-17-2012 07:57 PM #76
      so just started steam cleaning the tranny gonna get this thing looking brand new!

05-17-2012 09:46 PM #77
      and a bit cleaner!

the steam cleaner is pretty sweet!

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1980 Rabbit "C" two door, 5spd malagda red, 1986 Vanagon Westfalia auto, 2013 VW Golf TDI Wagon 6spd
      05-24-2012 12:58 PM #78
      cool ................. it's a 5spd.

Chris

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1980 Rabbit "C" two door, 5spd malagda red, 1986 Vanagon Westfalia auto, 2013 VW Golf TDI Wagon 6spd
      05-24-2012 12:59 PM #79
      Re: block: depends what you want to do with it. I have seen people just run a drill with sandpaper on a coathanger up and down in the cylinders to clean them up then replace the rings and run the motor. If you want to do it right you'd replace bearings, bore and hone the cylinders, fit oversize pistons, machine everything, hot tank and pressure test the block. Depends what you want out of it. I wouldn't put too much money into a 1.5

Chris
      Last edited by chrissev2; 05-24-2012 at 01:02 PM.

05-26-2012 10:42 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by chrissev2 View Post
      Re: block: depends what you want to do with it. I have seen people just run a drill with sandpaper on a coathanger up and down in the cylinders to clean them up then replace the rings and run the motor. If you want to do it right you'd replace bearings, bore and hone the cylinders, fit oversize pistons, machine everything, hot tank and pressure test the block. Depends what you want out of it. I wouldn't put too much money into a 1.5

Chris
      yeah forsure man! thanks dude!

05-29-2012 05:05 PM #81
      okay i know i need to buy a bentley but just real quick this is my thinking of what this stuff is... if someone can just help me learn it would be great so first pic this is the flywheel...
      pic 1

and then the pressure plate?
      pic 2

pic 3 is this the clutch? or im lost now haha

and i removed the little cover thing...

so my question is how can i tell if clutch is bad or not? or should i just go ahead and replace it and what all should i replace just buy a clutch kit and do everything?

hate ecs but just a clutch kit for example... or where is a better place to buy what i need? is this what im kind of looking for to buy?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...utch/ES250223/

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1981 Jetta 16v, 1977 Scirocco
      05-29-2012 05:14 PM #82
      you have the clutch and the pressure plate mixed up; 2 is clutch, 3 is pressure plate.
      a worn clutch will be just that; worn
      it will have very little 'meat' left on the contacting surfaces, like a brake pad or shoe. also watch out for any physical damage to it. it will be pretty obvious.

it's best just to replace it while you have it apart, though

the pressure plate's contacting surface should be smooth and without any deep grooves, although a little bit of wear is ok. also, the teeth that come in from the center of the plate should all be straight, and none should stick up or down farther than the others, or be broken
      that doesn't include the two 'teeth' that hold the cover plate in place
      make sure you clean every piece completely before you put it back together using something like brake cleaner
      you don't want any grease in there
      Last edited by ArsenicPants; 05-29-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Vehicles
      '83 Rabbit Diesel, '97 GTI VR6
      05-29-2012 05:34 PM #83
      Cool thread. Keep those blue stripes!!! Following.

05-30-2012 01:49 AM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by ArsenicPants View Post
      you have the clutch and the pressure plate mixed up; 2 is clutch, 3 is pressure plate.
      a worn clutch will be just that; worn
      it will have very little 'meat' left on the contacting surfaces, like a brake pad or shoe. also watch out for any physical damage to it. it will be pretty obvious.

it's best just to replace it while you have it apart, though

the pressure plate's contacting surface should be smooth and without any deep grooves, although a little bit of wear is ok. also, the teeth that come in from the center of the plate should all be straight, and none should stick up or down farther than the others, or be broken
      that doesn't include the two 'teeth' that hold the cover plate in place
      make sure you clean every piece completely before you put it back together using something like brake cleaner
      you don't want any grease in there
      okay so the clutch is what im holding then in the pic? and yeah it looks okay? but um any suggestions on where to buy new clutch from or just clutch kit from? and thank you for such good information i really appreciate it!

05-31-2012 07:17 PM #85
      okay so i have a question i have the block all torn down pretty much and i just was wondering if it would be okay to spray it down with oven cleaner and then to spray it off with a hose? that much water being sprayed to it wont damage anything right? and then i was going to use the air compressor and just spray out the holes and everything ? what do you guys think should i not do it and live with the tiny bits of grim im having trouble getting off? i just want to make this thing spotless!

and just some pics to show it...

11. Member
      Vehicles
      05-31-2012 07:50 PM #86
      what do you want to cover it in oven cleaner for?
      to remove the paint? or to clean it?

i wouldn't use such harsh chemicals to just clean the block, you can do the same thing with a grease eating solvent and a wire brush. plus you can breathe when you apply it. oven cleaner will eat through the main seal and any other plastic/rubber parts
      if you want to remove the paint, I would use aircraft stripper. it's a paint stripper that won't hurt the metal (it will still destroy the plastic though). it's toxic, but it work incredibly well and is super fast. just don't get it on your hands
      you should be able to pick it up at any good auto parts store

if you do end up using something harsh like that to clean it, I would do a full dismantling of the block so you can make sure no residue is left on any of the interior surfaces. it will not mix well with engine oil
      Last edited by ArsenicPants; 05-31-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Vehicles
      A bunch of rusty Kraut cans
      05-31-2012 08:12 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by rabbitnothopper View Post
      COOL FINALLY SOMEONE WHO POSTS ENGINE BAY PICS FIRST THING!!!!

i came here to see the MK1, the other cars were black spots in my mind and ignored.
      word

05-31-2012 08:14 PM #88
      what do you want to cover it in oven cleaner for?
      to remove the paint? or to clean it?

i wouldn't use such harsh chemicals to just clean the block, you can do the same thing with a grease eating solvent and a wire brush. plus you can breathe when you apply it. oven cleaner will eat through the main seal and any other plastic/rubber parts
      if you want to remove the paint, I would use aircraft stripper. it's a paint stripper that won't hurt the metal (it will still destroy the plastic though). it's toxic, but it work incredibly well and is super fast. just don't get it on your hands
      you should be able to pick it up at any good auto parts store

if you do end up using something harsh like that to clean it, I would do a full dismantling of the block so you can make sure no residue is left on any of the interior surfaces. it will not mix well with engine oil
      okay fair enough but pretty much what if i just use a simple degrease and then just spray it off with water? i just wanna get the grim off of it and make it spot less

and i guess only think im concerned about is if i spray it with water will the water i know its gonna be shot into some of those holes should i be worried about that if i spray air to dry things out? like i just dont want to damage the block or anything by washing it down with a hose you know what im saying? haha

Vehicles
      05-31-2012 08:26 PM #89
      autohaus az is the best all around deal for parts in my opinion

Vehicles
      05-31-2012 08:28 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by vw-tim View Post
      and a bit cleaner!

the steam cleaner is pretty sweet!
      what is the code on the trans?

should be a ff or fn code

05-31-2012 08:32 PM #91
      [QUOTE=rabbitinfife;77625410]autohaus az is the best all around deal for parts in my opinion

17. Member
      Vehicles
      06-01-2012 12:24 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by vw-tim View Post
      emme know what you think man about the water spraying the block down?
      cover up the mechanical fuel pump hole and the vacuum pump hole on the front of the block and you'll be fine
      don't allow water to sit in the cylinders for too long after you've washed the block, the cylinder walls can become oxidized
      don't worry about getting water in the water pump hole, hehehe

if you can, find a grease lifting chemical to spray on and soak the block in for a good half an hour at least
      something that's made to get grease stains out of concrete
      you could get that trans cleaner, too

i soaked my 16v for hours and power washed it off twice to go from this

to this

Last edited by ArsenicPants; 06-01-2012 at 12:27 AM.

06-01-2012 03:44 AM #93
      cover up the mechanical fuel pump hole and the vacuum pump hole on the front of the block and you'll be fine
      don't allow water to sit in the cylinders for too long after you've washed the block, the cylinder walls can become oxidized
      don't worry about getting water in the water pump hole, hehehe

if you can, find a grease lifting chemical to spray on and soak the block in for a good half an hour at least
      something that's made to get grease stains out of concrete
      you could get that trans cleaner, too

i soaked my 16v for hours and power washed it off twice to go from this

to this

nice man that looks sick! and yeah i cleand up the tranny a bunch more! and ill try and clean the block more tomorrow i found this degreaser stuff from the dollar store called " totally awesome" its pretty awesome im gonna go buy the rest of them tomorrow and clean a bunch of parts too haha

i shall update with pics on all the cleaned up stuff then

19. Member
      Vehicles
      06-01-2012 12:09 PM #94
      Clutch looks OK, can't see the inner flywheel surface from your pics, pressure plate looks a little worn. When you put that back together you are going to need a torque wrench and some thread locking compound. You can get a clutch kit cheap might as well just replace things so you have a nice fresh clutch when you start driving. Nothing more annoying than a worn out clutch.

Chris

06-01-2012 12:27 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by chrissev2 View Post
      Clutch looks OK, can't see the inner flywheel surface from your pics, pressure plate looks a little worn. When you put that back together you are going to need a torque wrench and some thread locking compound. You can get a clutch kit cheap might as well just replace things so you have a nice fresh clutch when you start driving. Nothing more annoying than a worn out clutch.

Chris
      yeah i already got one ordered ha and what bolts need the lock tight? just the ones that on the pressure plate right?

06-05-2012 06:49 PM #96
      okay so i havent gotten my bentley yet so im in the dark here. i got a clutch kit and i got a release bearing in the kit now where is that located at? i also got a clutch push rod seal and a clutch push rod bushing.. where do all of these get put in place?

and some pics:

06-05-2012 07:47 PM #97
      okay so after just going for it from what i sorta read online i took off this cover thing where the clutch is at all is there where i replace the bearing at? this little thing that i have tilted at the very top it doesnt look at all the same as what i have... also what time is it corona:30 haha

06-06-2012 11:22 PM #98
      what time is it? corona:30 haha

cleaned up the engine bay some!

Last edited by vw-tim; 06-06-2012 at 11:27 PM.

06-07-2012 08:00 PM #99
      did some painting today and once i finish up this yard work i think im gonna get the new clutch and everything put back on i just need to find the motivation lol

06-11-2012 04:58 PM #100
      so just an update got the new clutch kit all on and now just putting the block all back together hopefully get my head back this week and get this thing all put back together!!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast