VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

MK1 Steering Column Fix at Cincy 2012?

4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  cholland_ 
#1 ·
I heard there is a bracket/fix for that pesky steering column failure in the MK1 stuff.

Anyone have one or know if they will be available at Cincy?

Stephen

#4 ·
Fred,

That's it! Looks like you are the purveyor of this latest coolity. Should have known the "Master Genius & Fabricator" would come up with something like this.

I would like to throw my hat in the ring for at least 2 and maybe 3 (if my 4000 has the same steering column design).

Please tell me you will bringing these to Cincy with you???

Let me rephrase,

Fred, would you please bring me a couple of your steering column repair devices so that I might take delivery of them at the Cincy gathering and avoid the whole shipping and international thing? (Shhh, you know I am trying to stay off the grid and away from the prying eyes of the Canadian Government.)

#13 ·
Guys & gals, just send me a PM please
Your mailbox is full! :(

But! I will take one of your magic little devices at Cincy. I have to see if the '75's steering column bearing/race design is the same as the rest (I know a lot of other things in that column are different than every other year).

If it is different, I'll use it on the '86. If it's the same, I'll order a second from you when I'm back in Toronto :)

#11 ·
When the bearings go bad or drop they cause all sort of hell and weirdness...from light switches and such not working to vibration and excess free play up and down at the wheel.

HTH
el t

#17 ·
Check if the lower column bearing is still in place. If the plastic race is off, and the bearing is loose, you have a very good chance on the bearing, still being OK.
That being said, the faulty lower bearing plastic race, gets loose, and crumples over time:
This will make your lower steering bearing slide down the column.
If you still drive with this condition, it will eventually eat out the inner race, that will crawl up the steering shaft (being pinched on the lower portion of the race) and disintegrate after a while.

You DO NOT want that, as the inner race, is unobtanium ! (you can still get some bearings here & there with some $ and patience)

All in all, this item will keep the lower bearing in place, with or without the plastic outer race.

HTH
Fred:beer:

#21 ·
Thanks Fred. I may disassemble the steering column at some point, in which case I'm going to see if it's possible to use it between the spring and the inner bearing.

But! On the plus side, the research I've put in after failing to install this thing has made me actually start looking for solutions to making a useable steering column on this damn car!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.