Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: To moonroof or not....?

Vehicles
      97 Jetta TDI, 89 Fox diesel, 92 300SD turbo, 82 GS1100E
      04-23-2012 03:13 PM #1
      Hey All
      Been a while since I've been working on the BX but with one of the Golf D cars now gone and the other soon to depart it's important to get the BX diesel back into running condition. At any rate I found while cleaning out the basement a glass moonroof I had purchased a long time ago for the Mk2 and never installed it. It's an electric tilt / slide unit but when the roof panel is opened it slides back above the roof, not into it. It's a well made unit with a perimeter clamping ring and it conforms pretty well to the BX roof panel.

Also, it has an interior frame with a sunshade.

So the question is whether to install or not...here are some pics

Vehicles
      1992 Passat Syncro Wagon, 1987 Fox Wagon (Project)
      04-23-2012 10:45 PM #2
      I love moonroofs. I would so rock it. I had a popup one on my Coupe. I pulled it out for use late on.
      Quote Originally Posted by 90quattrocoupe
      I am old enough that I only have to be nice when I want to.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '88 Fox GL Wagon, '04 Jetta GLS Wagon TDi, '89 Fox Coupe (sold)
      04-23-2012 10:51 PM #3

I want one and have been contemplating getting the one from the Sunroof Doctor, albeit not the same - but, I'd be very interested to hear how your install goes...
      How a VW Fox Wagon sucked me back in...a build thread

Vehicles
      04-24-2012 02:08 AM #4
      It's a Hollandia sunroof, one of the brands carried by Sunroof Doctor but does not conform to any that they list by this maker. I need to get a few trim bits for it that were 'lost' so I need to contact them about it...don't know the model of it but it's decent quality.

My big problem is I hate to cut into a top...lol. In order to see if it would install properly I'd have to pull back the headliner and check the roof for obstructions / support issues. I've seen sunroofs installed before that are done badly and end up causing the top to sag in the center....don't want that here.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      04-24-2012 07:36 AM #5
      Yeah, that's my concern as well. I figured like anything cosmetic - if done with care and done correctly it should be seamless and not leak or compromise the interior.

You should check out that Body Repair Manual I posted a couple of months back - I'm certain there is a decent amount of info in there to pencil out a plan w/o pulling the headliner until you are ready to install.

It's my understanding that any Fox with a sunroof was dealer installed. Is that correct? Makes me believe that that section of the roof was designed to accept a sunroof w/o ruining structural parts of the car.

Keep up updated

6. 04-24-2012 11:12 AM #6
      a few years back there was a fox wagon that installed an Audi tilt and slide. He has to do some extra things as the wagon has a slight change in height in the back. I would so do this!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '90 VW Fox Turbo, '93 Grand Cherokee V8
      04-24-2012 11:46 AM #7
      Wow. I am for it as well!

I love my pop-up dealer installed sunroof and wish I had one that would slide. I've driven around with it removed a couple of times Definitely go for it!!

Vehicles
      04-24-2012 03:44 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by redone17 View Post
      Yeah, that's my concern as well. I figured like anything cosmetic - if done with care and done correctly it should be seamless and not leak or compromise the interior.

You should check out that Body Repair Manual I posted a couple of months back - I'm certain there is a decent amount of info in there to pencil out a plan w/o pulling the headliner until you are ready to install.

It's my understanding that any Fox with a sunroof was dealer installed. Is that correct? Makes me believe that that section of the roof was designed to accept a sunroof w/o ruining structural parts of the car.

Keep up updated
      Yeah, all BX sunroofs were dealer installed pop-up models IIRC.

I will hunt for he body repair manual and see if I can get a plan of what the roof panel looks like, either that or find one in a salvage yard to see what's there.

The wagon from a couple years back had a Mk3 tilt slide glass roof installed...and it was a good job but more complicated than I want to embark on at the moment.

thanks guys

9. Member
      Vehicles
      04-24-2012 03:50 PM #9
      PM'd manual.

Vehicles
      93 2dr---88 wagon---79 Jimmy
      04-24-2012 10:16 PM #10
      That would look awesome. I wanna do something similar in the future.

Vehicles
      04-25-2012 12:37 AM #11
      I'm always on the lookout, or used to be, for good aftermarket sunroofs / moonroofs when I hit the JY, and I was lucky when I found this one. Oddly enough it was mounted in a Saab 900 but the fit was odd and in just casually looking at it I felt like it conformed well to the Mk2 roof.

I haven't spent much time in a JY for about a year but good ones are out there for reasonable money.

I just finished the diesel IP rebuild.....not sure whether it'll be successful or not but we'll see. If it works I might embark on the moonroof install although I have other chores pulling at might right now.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      04-25-2012 06:58 AM #12

Vehicles
      04-25-2012 12:31 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by redone17 View Post
      The only problem I see with the factory roof is that you also need the flange and mountings that attach to the inside of the roof. That's the same roof assembly that the wagon had installed in it a couple years back.

edit: that's not a mk3 roof assembly but it's similar. The mk3 has a bridge across the back and the drain tray is integral to the whole assembly.
      Last edited by QuantumSyncro; 04-25-2012 at 01:25 PM.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      04-25-2012 01:29 PM #14
      yeah - the more I think about it - I am sure I'd be happy with a good ole pop out - on a nice day just take the glass completely out...the sliding factor of a moonroof would be nice - but way more hassle and room for error - especially on a wagon.

keep us updated with your discoveries...If I do install one it will be some time this summer before paint.