Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buying an 84 scirocco wolfsburg 5spd 8v

1. Member
      Vehicles
      95 volvo 850, 94 vw golf lll, 87 cabby, 84 rocco, 72 beetle conv
      04-23-2012 04:47 PM #1
      what can you guys tell me about these cars. ive been a cabriolet/golf fan for a while but this guy is selling it for 1000 with a bunch of extra parts. only thing "wrong" is the power steering rack is broken. he seems like a nice guy, and the car looks good in person. what should i look for and if anyone else has one can i see pics?
      Last edited by Quanofonic; 05-21-2013 at 01:57 AM.

Vehicles
      Assorted German Scrapmetal and a really old aircooled 'murrican trike!
      04-23-2012 08:37 PM #2
      Sciroccos are much like other VWs on the first chassis (both body styles are on the A1 chassis) Rot is the main concern, especially at key suspension attachment points. Mechanical components are common to many other platforms, and can usually be sourced easily. The 8v is a forgiving, tough engine. It's an old car, so budget some extra for worn components. But rust is the main thing. PS rack will be a POS to fix, but you can strong arm it without the power. I have one like that, not much fun parking, but otherwise not an issue.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      04-23-2012 08:58 PM #3
      Alright understandable. But its a manual steering. Isnt it dangerous?

Vehicles
      04-23-2012 09:31 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Quanofonic View Post
      Alright understandable. But its a manual steering. Isnt it dangerous?
      When you said the power steering rack was broken, I took that to mean that the power assist wasn't assisting. mine has had it sort of deleted. if the rack itself is broken, yeah, you need the steering to aim the car accurately, THAT would certainly be a safety issue that needs to be fixed. And check the area around it for cracks or defects.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      04-23-2012 11:38 PM #5
      Ahhh alright, yeah its manual steering. I gotta check it when i get the car. But i figured id buy a complete on from parts geek. Thank you for the info

6. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      1985 VW Scirocco Wolfsburg
      04-24-2012 01:13 AM #6
      So if you have any doubts about manual steering. I have been driving my '84 with manual steering for almost a year now. With zero problems. Biggest difficulties is trying to parallel park because you have to pretty much turn the wheel all the way to whatever direction you want to go in and it takes some muscle. But I am only an 120 lb female so if that tells you anything about how super easy it is. Totally different from driving something that has had the power steering go out and you have to drive through the linkage. I now have great difficulties driving power steering LOL.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      04-24-2012 09:19 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by mrsnos4a2 View Post
      So if you have any doubts about manual steering. I have been driving my '84 with manual steering for almost a year now. With zero problems. Biggest difficulties is trying to parallel park because you have to pretty much turn the wheel all the way to whatever direction you want to go in and it takes some muscle. But I am only an 120 lb female so if that tells you anything about how super easy it is. Totally different from driving something that has had the power steering go out and you have to drive through the linkage. I now have great difficulties driving power steering LOL.
      Haha that works then, luckily i live in an area where i wont have to parallel park much! Should be a fun experience 😁

8. Member
      Vehicles
      1993 Volvo 940 Wagon
      04-24-2012 10:10 AM #8
      Underneath all that attractive Scirocco body-work, you will find that the Scirocco is nearly identical to your '87 Cabriolet. So there shouldn't be any big surprises.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mach700 View Post
      In the absence of Wars, people become lazy and sex slaves (not everybody).

Vehicles
      1975 & 1981 VW Scirocco, miss my 84 Wolfsburg Scirocco
      04-25-2012 03:21 AM #9
      Here are a couple pics of my old 84 Wolfsburg:

I believe it should have manual steering. Buying a used one, look for signs of rust of course, low mileage. Check cooling system/heater core for leaks.

Late 84's have the smaller donut spare. Also came with the toilet bowl down pipe. Change this down pipe to a TT one for more oomph!

10. 04-25-2012 07:11 AM #10
      I hate to burst your bubble, guys, but there is no such thing as a Wolfsburg Scirocco. All Mk1 & Mk2 Sciroccos were built at the Karmann Coachworks, NONE were built in Wolfsburg.

Jeez, that's the sort of thing you'd expect people on Vortex to know already...

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1989 Scala i
      04-25-2012 07:14 AM #11
      Most of Europe copes without power steering.

The car weighs less than a ton so it's not a huge lump. When parking just remember to only turn the steering wheel when the car is in moving, just needs to be a small amount, and you shouldn't have a problem.

Trying to put it on full lock with good tyres on a dry road when it's stationary (not advised as it strains components) is the only time it's a bit of a bind and even then it's only an issue if you swap out standard tyres with something a bit wider.

Vehicles
      04-25-2012 08:09 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by anotherslammeddub View Post
      I hate to burst your bubble, guys, but there is no such thing as a Wolfsburg Scirocco. All Mk1 & Mk2 Sciroccos were built at the Karmann Coachworks, NONE were built in Wolfsburg.

HuH? Though none were built in Wolfsburg, there were special editions badged as Wolfsburgs. I OWN one, mine is a 1985 and is Tornado red. (Earlier ones would be Mars red) So the term Wolfsburg Scirocco is as correct as MkI S, Scirocco Storm, White Cat, Slegato etc. This was a factory trim package, and otherwise the car is pretty well a normal 8V. I'm sure that the dealerships in the day would have called it that as well.

Manual steering is easier when the tires have decent tread on them. MkIs typically have manual racks as well. I'm not strong and have no problem with my manual steering car (1979) but my non power assisted car (1986) is a bit heavy to get manouvered around. Still not horrible enough for me to put the power back to how it was born. And You Guys? I am not a guy, I am a hot chick!

Just get that rack checked and maybe it is just a ball joint or tie rod end that is causing the concern. What made them (you?) think it was broken?

And yeah, these are tiny car, power steering is really not needed. Even a Cabby is heavier.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      04-25-2012 09:08 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by punchbug View Post
      HuH? Though none were built in Wolfsburg, there were special editions badged as Wolfsburgs. I OWN one, mine is a 1985 and is Tornado red. (Earlier ones would be Mars red) So the term Wolfsburg Scirocco is as correct as MkI S, Scirocco Storm, White Cat, Slegato etc. This was a factory trim package, and otherwise the car is pretty well a normal 8V. I'm sure that the dealerships in the day would have called it that as well.

Manual steering is easier when the tires have decent tread on them. MkIs typically have manual racks as well. I'm not strong and have no problem with my manual steering car (1979) but my non power assisted car (1986) is a bit heavy to get manouvered around. Still not horrible enough for me to put the power back to how it was born. And You Guys? I am not a guy, I am a hot chick!

Just get that rack checked and maybe it is just a ball joint or tie rod end that is causing the concern. What made them (you?) think it was broken?

And yeah, these are tiny car, power steering is really not needed. Even a Cabby is heavier.
      Ah sweet thanks guys. The po saud its the reason he parked it but i wont know till friday. Im hoping its just something small because of the way he parked it would require some decent wheel turning. But ill keep you guys posted. He giving me a new header and downpipe with sale among oter awesome parts so we will see.! Thanks guys

14. 04-25-2012 09:17 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by punchbug View Post

You North American people really are weird!! You know the car was built by Karmann but it's badged as a Wolfsburg? You didn't even know what a Golf was until 83/84 because you called it a Rabbit! Big ugly crash resistant bumpers that stick out too far, emissions equioment that reduces your power and torque...
      If you wore a turban would it make you Arab edition? No! it would just be some irrelevant removable garment, such as the wolfsburg edition sticker on your car, it does NOT designate ANYTHING!

Vehicles
      1973 VW 914, 1986 VW Scirocco, 2010 VW GTI
      04-25-2012 11:26 AM #15
      it does NOT designate ANYTHING!
      Except special interior trim, a bigger engine and standard front and rear sway bars, yeah, it's meaningless.

Seriously, VW's been designating special-edition cars Wolfsburg Editions for decades here, and they usually get pretty good upgrades over the regular trim levels. It's not a big deal. No reason to get all pissy and make mildly-racist comments over.
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris16vRocco View Post
      You are a god among men. Or a man among retards, not sure which.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      04-25-2012 02:59 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by cholland_ View Post
      Except special interior trim, a bigger engine and standard front and rear sway bars, yeah, it's meaningless.

Seriously, VW's been designating special-edition cars Wolfsburg Editions for decades here, and they usually get pretty good upgrades over the regular trim levels. It's not a big deal. No reason to get all pissy and make mildly-racist comments over.
      Agreed

Vehicles
      2000 B5 Wagon, 87 Scirocco 16V
      04-26-2012 10:51 AM #17
      You North American people really are weird!! You know the car was built by Karmann but it's badged as a Wolfsburg? You didn't even know what a Golf was until 83/84 because you called it a Rabbit! Big ugly crash resistant bumpers that stick out too far, emissions equioment that reduces your power and torque...
      If you wore a turban would it make you Arab edition? No! it would just be some irrelevant removable garment, such as the wolfsburg edition sticker on your car, it does NOT designate ANYTHING!
      Maybe he wouldn't be so hissy if we called them "Wolfsburg EDITIONS"...

Go see the Neptune Pine!
      www.getneptune.com
      "It is like an drunken anglo ultimate fighting dojo." - CBJ...
      "Hell I can't live peacefully with two bagel makers within a half kilometer of each other much less two cities." - CBJ once again!

18. Member
      04-26-2012 01:25 PM #18

Check your facts...It's called marketing. In the UK special editions were called Scala or Storm. These cars that you say didn't exist were also badged with the Karmann nameplate.

You North American people really are weird!! You know the car was built by Karmann but it's badged as a Wolfsburg?
      These cars, like the regular US series cars were also badged with the Karmann badge at the factory.

You didn't even know what a Golf was until 83/84 because you called it a Rabbit! Big ugly crash resistant bumpers that stick out too far, emissions equioment that reduces your power and torque...
      The fact that you're an uninformed racist that had made a big deal about how little you know about the US marketing of VWs doesn't designate anything either. Except that you're an offshore residing ignorant racist moron.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      05-01-2012 07:45 PM #19
      So i bought the car guys and im in love....except that she wont turn over after new sparks/cap/rotor. It was sitting for 6 years and has new gas in it...dunno what to do

Vehicles
      1987 Scirocco 16V
      05-02-2012 01:06 AM #20
      make sure the fuel distributor plate moves freely, pull one of the injectors, jump the fuel pump relay, and pull the metering plate up to check for spray, if it sprays, make sure you have spark by pulling the wire off of the #1 plug, and have someone crank the car, and see if you can see spark jumping to the plug, or any ground on the engine for that matter.

the rings may be stuck as well, if the fuel/spark are ok, then try putting 2oz of ATF in each cylinder, and turn the motor over twice by hand and let it sit for a couple of hours and try again, this will help free up the rings. make sure to change your oil after this.

If you still have no dice, make sure the timing belt didnt jump any teeth, then try some starting fluid, if that still doesnt work, maybe try pull starting it.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      05-02-2012 01:33 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by SciroccoPowered View Post
      make sure the fuel distributor plate moves freely, pull one of the injectors, jump the fuel pump relay, and pull the metering plate up to check for spray, if it sprays, make sure you have spark by pulling the wire off of the #1 plug, and have someone crank the car, and see if you can see spark jumping to the plug, or any ground on the engine for that matter.

the rings may be stuck as well, if the fuel/spark are ok, then try putting 2oz of ATF in each cylinder, and turn the motor over twice by hand and let it sit for a couple of hours and try again, this will help free up the rings. make sure to change your oil after this.

If you still have no dice, make sure the timing belt didnt jump any teeth, then try some starting fluid, if that still doesnt work, maybe try pull starting it.
      Uh-oh someone gave me this idea. But said to use motor oil in each cyclinder....did i just wreck my 8v? Or can i spray some brake cleaner in there?

Vehicles
      1975, 1979, 1980
      05-02-2012 01:57 AM #22
      Uh-oh someone gave me this idea. But said to use motor oil in each cyclinder....did i just wreck my 8v? Or can i spray some brake cleaner in there?
      No it is fine. Might smoke a bit once you get it running but not a big deal. It will burn off eventually.
      First pull out the fuel pump relay (the one with the fuse on the end of it). Then pull all the spark plugs and cover the holes lightly with rags and turn the engine over until you don't see anything coming out of the spark plug holes.
      Gordy S
      MK1 x 3

23. Member
      Vehicles
      05-06-2012 06:04 PM #23
      So i goy her to run finally. Turns out i had the plugs on the cap 1 off. Started up and sounds good for sitting 6+ years 😁now to fix the steering problem!

24. Member
      Vehicles
      08-13-2012 11:51 PM #24
      Got the rack changed and found out the subframe was broken had to make a custom sway bar to keep it steady

Vehicles
      1987 Scirocco 16V
      08-14-2012 12:11 AM #25
      You should take pictures of it, front what i understand that sounds dangers, can you also post pics? I'm wondering if maybe this is my old one, i sold it to a friend, it got towed on the side of the road, who leaves a broke down 84 scirocco on the side of the road in the richest area of town? then he hadnt changed the title so he couldnt get it back, it was sold at auction and i it was about 6 years ago.

Vehicles
      1983 Scirocco Cal Special
      08-14-2012 10:38 PM #27

Not one person said they were made in Wolfsburg or even insinuated it... And if you spent anytime here you would know the bulk of the people here know this and much much more about the Wolfie's but hey if you want to stick you foot in your mouth go right ahead matey

27. Member
      Vehicles
      08-23-2012 12:37 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by SciroccoPowered View Post
      You should take pictures of it, front what i understand that sounds dangers, can you also post pics? I'm wondering if maybe this is my old one, i sold it to a friend, it got towed on the side of the road, who leaves a broke down 84 scirocco on the side of the road in the richest area of town? then he hadnt changed the title so he couldnt get it back, it was sold at auction and i it was about 6 years ago.
      doesnt sound like this one. havent been able to post pics yet im sorry. the PO was the second owner who bought it from an older guy in his neighborhood. its flash silver

28. Member
      Vehicles
      08-23-2012 12:47 AM #29

29. Member
      Vehicles
      08-23-2012 12:52 AM #30
      as she sits now

30. Member
      Vehicles
      05-21-2013 01:45 AM #31
      im a bit late with posting pics that actually work, but here she is from purchase to current over the past year. when i purchased her she came with:

16v body kit
      front and rear stress bars
      bosch fuel pump
      4 spoke black leather momo steering wheel with wolfsburg horn
      and a bunch of misc. parts. good deal for 900 bucks. just had to change steering rack and weld subframe unibody. ended up getting a lower 4 point tie bar for 20bucks so she's soliddddd
      when i dug her out of the guys backyard:

after i got her running and on the road:

Some BBS reps i purchased for my gf's gti and used for a bit :

after i rebuilt the head and installed the stress bar, got rid of the scrunchy tube and put a big bore intake tube and 274tt cam, as well as a volvo cis dish anddddd deleted the stock airbox. since this photo i also deleted the a/c compressor and tubes.:

took a lil cruise with her to test out hr lowering springs. silly honda kid smacked into me and caused that little dent on the rear fender.(honda was almost totalled) gotta love vw's :

skipping to this year, i decided to paint her and install the 16v body kit i had laying around. picked up these wheels for about 100$ and zoom zoom!!:

31. Member
      Vehicles
      05-21-2013 01:57 AM #32
      heres an interior shot, i swap in some seats from my buddies 95 gti. love these seats!!!!!!!

took this photo for my photography class. messing around with long exposures

32. Member
      Vehicles
      05-21-2013 01:58 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by hardrocco View Post
      Here are a couple pics of my old 84 Wolfsburg:

I believe it should have manual steering. Buying a used one, look for signs of rust of course, low mileage. Check cooling system/heater core for leaks.

Late 84's have the smaller donut spare. Also came with the toilet bowl down pipe. Change this down pipe to a TT one for more oomph!
      love your car man!!!!

Vehicles
      1975 & 1981 VW Scirocco, miss my 84 Wolfsburg Scirocco
      05-21-2013 02:32 AM #34
      love your car man!!!!
      Thanks, unfortunately it hasn't been my car for the last year. The new owner just sold it on ebay, I should have kept that car

Vehicles
      76 carbed,83 wolfsburg,85 legend turbo,76 Chevy silverado
      05-21-2013 12:50 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by DT1 View Post
      Most of Europe copes without power steering.

The car weighs less than a ton so it's not a huge lump. When parking just remember to only turn the steering wheel when the car is in moving, just needs to be a small amount, and you shouldn't have a problem.

Trying to put it on full lock with good tyres on a dry road when it's stationary (not advised as it strains components) is the only time it's a bit of a bind and even then it's only an issue if you swap out standard tyres with something a bit wider.
      Turn the wheel while your rolling no biggie.
      Power steering is just more maintinance,leaks,....
      http://website.lineone.net/~dr.dub/
      Wenn kein scirocco es ist nicht Scheiße!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast