Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Always runs better with cold start pulled?

1. 04-23-2012 05:50 PM #1
      A tired 1.6 TD, MF engine number, in an '83 Caddy starts right up with the cold start pulled belching plenty of smoke but even when warmed up seems to run better with cold start pulled( therefore injection timing advanced?). Much more smoke when cold start pushed in. Could this symptom reveal anything else? I know compression is poor.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1992 Golf gasser to 1.6TD swap , 2002 Jetta TDI
      04-23-2012 07:03 PM #2
      Might just be from wear and tear.

Sounds like you should just be running your pump more advanced. I'd advance it about a pencil mark and go from there.

Do you hear much claking/marble when the cold start is out, and your driving it with it out? If not, push in your cold start and advance the timing on the pump just until you start hearing marbles on a plate. Then back the pump off a hair and take it for a spin.

3. 04-23-2012 08:53 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by steevz View Post
      Might just be from wear and tear.

Sounds like you should just be running your pump more advanced. I'd advance it about a pencil mark and go from there.

Do you hear much claking/marble when the cold start is out, and your driving it with it out? If not, push in your cold start and advance the timing on the pump just until you start hearing marbles on a plate. Then back the pump off a hair and take it for a spin.
      Thanks for the helpful advice.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1992 Golf gasser to 1.6TD swap , 2002 Jetta TDI
      04-24-2012 03:13 PM #4
      No problem. Give an update.

5. 04-24-2012 04:53 PM #5
      There's more to my story of better running with cold start. I'd been having all kinds of starting problems that required a lot of jump starting as even with a fully charged battery I couldn't get it to fire. The other day as I was mentally going down my list of possible culprits I saw out of the corner of my eye that the fusible link had burnt through instantly explaining the hard starting. It was after I replaced the link and got the glow plugs glowing that starting wasn't a problem but running without the cold start was. I used to have an old-timer friend who always talked about "driving power into that engine" and now I know what he meant. All those days of unsuccessful cranking had left a lot of unburned fuel in the system making for tougher combustion without advancing the injection timing I'm guessing. Anyway it runs fine now or I should say as fine as it ever did being a tired old smoky 1.6 td out of a Jetta. Thanks to all who replied.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      04-24-2012 08:11 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by moran65 View Post
      There's more to my story of better running with cold start. I'd been having all kinds of starting problems that required a lot of jump starting as even with a fully charged battery I couldn't get it to fire. The other day as I was mentally going down my list of possible culprits I saw out of the corner of my eye that the fusible link had burnt through instantly explaining the hard starting. It was after I replaced the link and got the glow plugs glowing that starting wasn't a problem but running without the cold start was. I used to have an old-timer friend who always talked about "driving power into that engine" and now I know what he meant. All those days of unsuccessful cranking had left a lot of unburned fuel in the system making for tougher combustion without advancing the injection timing I'm guessing. Anyway it runs fine now or I should say as fine as it ever did being a tired old smoky 1.6 td out of a Jetta. Thanks to all who replied.
      if you have access to a timing gauge (dial indicator & adapter) for a bosch VE pump, then you should check your timing. make a note of where it is, and advance it to .95 - 1mm..

or, if you dont have a timing gauge, draw a pencil line from the injection pump bracket, to the injection pump body, and advance the pump the width of the pencil line.

that should make it start easier, and have more power, as well as make your smoke go away.

7. 04-24-2012 08:28 PM #7
      thanks again -