Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

View Poll Results: Will the next generation Nissan Z have smaller or bigger engine?

Voters
    69. You may not vote on this poll
    • smaller

43 62.32%
    • same size

17 24.64%
    • bigger

9 13.04%
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the next generation Nissan Z have a smaller or bigger engine?

1. Banned
      Shytcago, IL - hell hole of all hell holes
      Vehicles
      74 Subaru DL, 78 280Z,94 Sentra SER, 86 CRX Si, 86 Suzuki 700 Intruder (still own) 07 Fit (still own
      04-23-2012 07:11 PM #1
      After reading about how Mazda is thinking about using a smaller engine in their next Miata, that got me to wonder if Nissan is finally going to use a smaller engine in the Z car next tine around? I'd like to see that already since it's just not the same car the original 240Z was, especially since it's 1100 pounds heavier now I understand how you can blame lots of the weight on safety regulations and consumers not willing to accept a raw bones car like the 240Z originally was. None the less Nissan can still trim lots of pounds from the Z now. Even one of their 4 bangers could crank out more horsies than the original 6 cylinder used in the 240Z(151 horsepower and 146 pound-feet of torque). Although if Nissan did use a 4 banger in the Z now, I get the feeling it would be the FRS/BRZ's new competitor. I can live with that though. Nissan is probably safer though keeping the 6 under the hood. I still wonder if they're going to bore out the engine again though

Vehicles
      2011 Rustang. Secretary Edition.
      04-23-2012 07:20 PM #2
      3.0L twin turbo i6.

Vehicles
      Bent M
      04-23-2012 07:23 PM #3
      Everything I have read has indicated that Nissan will continue using a variation of the VQ engine.

Might they reduce displacement? Perhaps. More than likely, however, it will stay at 3.7L, but they will increase the horsepower a bit and add fuel-saving functions such as those found on Mazda's Skyactiv engines.
      DO YOU HAVE A TURBO MINI COOPER? BUY MY JB+: http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...ml#post3982339
      2000 BMW M Roadster - 5-speed
      2014 Mazda Mazda6 - 6-speed

4. 04-23-2012 07:51 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Detector View Post
      After reading about how Mazda is thinking about using a smaller engine in their next Miata, that got me to wonder if Nissan is finally going to use a smaller engine in the Z car next tine around? I'd like to see that already since it's just not the same car the original 240Z was, especially since it's 1100 pounds heavier now I understand how you can blame lots of the weight on safety regulations and consumers not willing to accept a raw bones car like the 240Z originally was. None the less Nissan can still trim lots of pounds from the Z now. Even one of their 4 bangers could crank out more horsies than the original 6 cylinder used in the 240Z(151 horsepower and 146 pound-feet of torque). Although if Nissan did use a 4 banger in the Z now, I get the feeling it would be the FRS/BRZ's new competitor. I can live with that though. Nissan is probably safer though keeping the 6 under the hood. I still wonder if they're going to bore out the engine again though

Are you really comparing a 240Z's weight and engine specs witha 201* 370Z?
      He who dies with the most toys wins..........I'm losing, but having fun keeping up

similar is subjective. a bj from a chick and a bj from a dude are also similar

5. Banned
      Vehicles
      74 Subaru DL, 78 280Z,94 Sentra SER, 86 CRX Si, 86 Suzuki 700 Intruder (still own) 07 Fit (still own
      04-23-2012 08:26 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by VYLENT View Post
      Just for the sake of example of how the Z constantly gets bigger + I prefer a smaller, lighter car too. Long ago I owned a 280Z and even that thing felt too big, especially since the steering was manual. I get the feeling that might have been fine for the 240, but worked against the heavier 280. It was pretty sad to see what happened to the Z after that

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 S2000, '90 CRX
      04-23-2012 08:29 PM #6
      I wish they'd bring back the RB26 and stuff one of those in the new Z.

Vehicles
      1995 Audi S6
      04-23-2012 09:47 PM #7
      Just for the sake of example of how the Z constantly gets bigger + I prefer a smaller, lighter car too. Long ago I owned a 280Z and even that thing felt too big, especially since the steering was manual. I get the feeling that might have been fine for the 240, but worked against the heavier 280. It was pretty sad to see what happened to the Z after that

That mustache is black gold...

8. Banned
      Vehicles
      04-24-2012 06:50 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Snake Hips View Post
      That mustache is black gold...
      It was standard equipment in most discos back then.

Vehicles
      RSX Type-S
      04-24-2012 07:10 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by elementpb View Post
      3.0L twin turbo i6.
      I'm guessing this, but replace I6 with V6 and that's what I think will happen more than likely.
      PSN: Silviatzero
      "I've got an idea for sweat shops: air conditioning! Problem solved."
      RSX-S

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      04-24-2012 07:19 PM #10
      1.6T from the Juke.
      :gift:

11. Banned
      Vehicles
      04-25-2012 12:06 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      1.6T from the Juke.
      That would be nice but the typical ego driven Z customer might take some offence to having a tiny 4 banger under the hood, even if it does churn out more HP than the original 240Z did. The Z could certainly get by without its signature long hood with a engine that small too, even though it just wouldn't resemble a Z car then. I know right from the start it was that Jag E-Type look that attracted so many buyers to begin with. I can't forget how Datsun couldn't keep the original 240Z on the showroom floor when it first came out and buyers were happy to pay over sticker for it back then.

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      04-25-2012 12:19 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by VYLENT View Post
      No ****.

There is 40 years between the two cars. Please name a production car that has been around for 40 years and weighs the same or is within 10% of its original weight?

The trend will continue and the number will be greater. Look at the history: 2.4/2.6/2.8/3.0/3.5/3.7

Can anyone tell me WHY they increased the displacement each time?

Here, I will help. It is because of safety regulations and emissions. That is the only reason the 260Z exists. They bumped up displacement to compensate for added weight and emissions choking out the engine.

Vehicles
      IV Hatchgone, E39
      04-25-2012 12:21 PM #13
      Bigger engine. They'd wait to see how these smaller versions of the other cars to see how they'd suceed, Nissan being last to come out with a competitor.
      Quote Originally Posted by dangerkart View Post
      they give us a beer icon so we can feel established and accomplish the art of manliness
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      You can take the driver out of the Honda but you can't take the Honda out of the driver.
      vw.

Vehicles
      04-25-2012 12:23 PM #14
      That would be nice but the typical ego driven Z customer might take some offence to having a tiny 4 banger under the hood, even if it does churn out more HP than the original 240Z did. The Z could certainly get by without its signature long hood with a engine that small too, even though it just wouldn't resemble a Z car then. I know right from the start it was that Jag E-Type look that attracted so many buyers to begin with.
      If it had a 4 cyl then it's not a Z car. Bring that back in a 240SX variation if you like, leave the Z a 6. It always has been and always should be a 6. That's like if Corvette made a V10 or V6 variation. Wouldn't make sense.

Get rid of the long hood? You said yourself, "wouldn't resemble a Z car then" why would Nissan want to make a Z that didn't look like a Z???? And it was a rip on the Ferrari not so much the Jag.

As for your last point, the cars available were completely different back then. As was the market. Comparing apples to Llamas. You won't see that happen again.

15. Banned
      Vehicles
      04-25-2012 12:34 PM #15
      No ****.

There is 40 years between the two cars. Please name a production car that has been around for 40 years and weighs the same or is within 10% of its original weight?

The trend will continue and the number will be greater. Look at the history: 2.4/2.6/2.8/3.0/3.5/3.7

Here, I will help. It is because of safety regulations and emissions. That is the only reason the 260Z exists. They bumped up displacement to compensate for added weight and emissions choking out the engine.
      It might not be the same but I see a 72 Vette weighed 3590 while the 2012 is around 3200 pounds. Thus you really have to wonder if GM can pull off producing a lighter Vette after all these years, can Nissan come out with a Z that is ligher than the original 240Z curb weight of 2320 pounds? I think they could come close if they Jenny Craig the Z.

Vehicles
      04-25-2012 12:38 PM #16
      It might not be the same but I see a 72 Vette weighed 3590 while the 2012 is around 3200 pounds. Thus you really have to wonder if GM can pull off producing a lighter Vette after all these years, can Nissan come out with a Z that is ligher than the original 240Z curb weight of 2320 pounds? I think they could come close if they Jenny Craig the Z.
      I am not sure why you're so fixated on the weight of the car. The 370Z doesn't handle like a heavy car. I own a 74 Datsun Z and my dad has a 370Z. I drive both regularly and the 370Z is a hell of a lot faster than the Datsun. It also doesn't feel like a sardine can that you're going to get killed in.

Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '14 GLI Autobahn
      04-25-2012 12:51 PM #17
      From what little we've heard from Nissan/Infiniti, the next G motor will be an evolution of the current VQ37 with a revised head and direct injection and possibly a small bump in displacement. Whether it's also slated for the next Z or not is up in the air, as Infiniti is really trying to seperate from Nissan.

Vehicles
      04-25-2012 12:58 PM #18
      I am not sure why you're so fixated on the weight of the car. The 370Z doesn't handle like a heavy car. I own a 74 Datsun Z and my dad has a 370Z. I drive both regularly and the 370Z is a hell of a lot faster than the Datsun. It also doesn't feel like a sardine can that you're going to get killed in.

04-25-2012 01:13 PM #19
      The big cube VQ era at Nissan is surely coming to an end. The next Z will probably have a somewhat smaller V6 (3.0?) with some sort of forced induction and/or hybrid setup.

04-25-2012 01:16 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      From what little we've heard from Nissan/Infiniti, the next G motor will be an evolution of the current VQ37 with a revised head and direct injection and possibly a small bump in displacement. Whether it's also slated for the next Z or not is up in the air, as Infiniti is really trying to seperate from Nissan.
      I haven't heard any rumor like that. All signs are pointing to the next Skyline having much smaller engines. Infiniti needs something much more fuel efficient to sell in China and Europe. I would expect small I4 turbo as the main engine choices.

Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '14 GLI Autobahn
      04-25-2012 01:20 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      I haven't heard any rumor like that. All signs are pointing to the next Skyline having much smaller engines. Infiniti needs something much more fuel efficient to sell in China and Europe. I would expect small I4 turbo as the main engine choices.
      Maybe abroad but not in the U.S. They are working on a diesel (as was seen in the spy photos) but no word if that will make it here. The small turbo you are speaking of will be the Mercedes Kompressor, but that will not be the enthusiast engine. Nissan/Infiniti has already had smaller powerplants in Europe and Asia.

In the interview with MotorTrend the Infiniti source confirmed an evolution of the current VQ with DI and revised head, and someone who works for Infiniti who frequents the G forums also confirmed this.

22. Banned
      Vehicles
      04-25-2012 01:28 PM #22
      Just read all the current car magazines and you'll discover how obsessed with weight loss that many manufacturers are now, especially with MPG requirements becoming harder and harder to meet now. 2 cars I recently read about that managed to shed some pounds are the 911 and the next Miata should weigh less too. Even Colin Chapman said many years ago "to add speed, add lightness."

Vehicles
      04-25-2012 01:39 PM #23
      Just read all the current car magazines and you'll discover how obsessed with weight loss that many manufacturers are now, especially with MPG requirements becoming harder and harder to meet now. 2 cars I recently read about that managed to shed some pounds are the 911 and the next Miata should weigh less too. Even Colin Chapman said many years ago "to add speed, add lightness."
      Yeah but you're not quantifying it with anything other than a number.

Have you driven the 370Z? People are obsessed over a number that is honestly unrealistic when you think about it.

People want cars with options, the best selling cars are usually those with options. Especially in the target market for the Z. If you want to remove the radio/NAV/multi-speaker setup, power windows, power/heated seats, luxurious materials on the interior, sound deadening etc. then yeah you could hit a lower target number. But to meet the safety standards and stuff 6 airbags and active head restraints as well as the expectations of customers with sound deadening and technology weight is inevitable.

Vehicles
      RSX Type-S
      04-25-2012 01:54 PM #24
      No ****.

I agree with you in that I think that it will be a V6 still, but do you really think it's going to grow in size? I mean, 3.7 is already might large for a V6, what's next? 3.9, 4.0 liters? They used a 4.0 liter V6 in the Pathfinder and Frontier trucks. I really doubt it will grow in size.
      PSN: Silviatzero
      "I've got an idea for sweat shops: air conditioning! Problem solved."
      RSX-S

Vehicles
      04-25-2012 01:56 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by InfinitiG View Post
      I agree with you in that I think that it will be a V6 still, but do you really think it's going to grow in size? I mean, 3.7 is already might large for a V6, what's next? 3.9, 4.0 liters? They used a 4.0 liter V6 in the Pathfinder and Frontier trucks. I really doubt it will grow in size.
      I was just basing it on the history of the car. 40 years of engine growth. Not saying i'm right, just saying I think we're more likely to see a 380Z than a 3.0L powered variant.

Vehicles
      2009 VW GTI ; 2012 VW Golf TDI - 4DR 6MT
      04-25-2012 02:27 PM #26
      Smaller, turbocharged V6.
      -Jason
      '12 TDI 6M with "stuff"
      Drive a Diesel?
      Underwraps Automotive

27. Banned
      Vehicles
      04-25-2012 03:14 PM #27
      Yeah but you're not quantifying it with anything other than a number.

Have you driven the 370Z? People are obsessed over a number that is honestly unrealistic when you think about it.

People want cars with options, the best selling cars are usually those with options. Especially in the target market for the Z. If you want to remove the radio/NAV/multi-speaker setup, power windows, power/heated seats, luxurious materials on the interior, sound deadening etc. then yeah you could hit a lower target number. But to meet the safety standards and stuff 6 airbags and active head restraints as well as the expectations of customers with sound deadening and technology weight is inevitable.
      I'm well aware of what people want but so are the car manufacturers who are shedding pounds off their cars now. The recent splurge of aluminum and carbon fiber parts aren't thrown on cars just for the hell of it. It's all about saving weight there. What's the sense now of continually increasing engine size when engines are becoming more powerful? Not even higher end companies such as Mercedes and BMW pointing in the direction of continually upping the size of their engines.

Vehicles
      04-25-2012 03:21 PM #28
      I'm well aware of what people want but so are the car manufacturers who are shedding pounds off their cars now. The recent splurge of aluminum and carbon fiber parts aren't thrown on cars just for the hell of it. It's all about saving weight there. What's the sense now of continually increasing engine size when engines are becoming more powerful? Not even higher end companies such as Mercedes and BMW pointing in the direction of continually upping the size of their engines.
      I'm still having trouble understanding how the 370Z is considered "heavy" by any stretch? Please name a 2012 car model with that many amenities and features for sub $50k that's 2500lbs and 332HP. Also, Nissan clearly doesn't care about weight. Please tell me what the 370's driveshaft is made out of?

29. 04-25-2012 05:49 PM #29
      No ****.

Lotus/Caterham 7 ?

In 1973, the Mustang 351cj weighed ~3680lbs 'dry' with 266hp/301ftlbs.

Today, a much faster V6 mustang weighs 3400lbs 'wet' with the much more powerful V8 GT weighing in at 3533lbs.

I think a Ford Mustang certainly qualifies as one of the most common production car of the last 40 years.
      "You'll have to answer to the Coca-Cola company."

30. Banned
      Vehicles
      04-26-2012 07:24 AM #30
      I'm still having trouble understanding how the 370Z is considered "heavy" by any stretch? Please name a 2012 car model with that many amenities and features for sub $50k that's 2500lbs and 332HP. Also, Nissan clearly doesn't care about weight. Please tell me what the 370's driveshaft is made out of?
      Why shouldn't Nissan care about weight then when it works against them or should I say why is BMW for example choosing to put a smaller engine in the next generation M3 this time around when it would be so much easier to put more cubic inches under the hood and up the anti? http://www.worldcarfans.com/10903201...ries-m-is-a-go

31. Member
      04-26-2012 08:45 AM #31
      mid engined diesel rotary

Vehicles
      1995 Answer to everything
      04-26-2012 08:49 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by svantevid View Post
      mid engined diesel rotary
      with a turbo and headers. and nawz. from the factory
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Welcome. This is where, when you put air ride on an overweight all wheel drive sedan, you've ruined a race car. And when you put nothing but functional aero parts on a car to turn it into a strictly race-prepped car, you've ruined a perfectly good NSX that could've easily been transformed into an overweight all wheel drive sedan. Racecar.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      04-26-2012 09:01 AM #33
      The 370Z was already lighter than the 350Z, right?

I wouldn't be surprised by a smaller displacement, new generation V6 to replace the VQ, but still make similar power, while dropping a touch more weight like they did the last time around.

Vehicles
      Mr2 and 951
      04-26-2012 12:24 PM #34
      i would love for the straight 6 to come back but it wont.

my vote is with a 3ish liter turbo.
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Something has gone horribly, horribly wrong when cockerpunk is representing the voice of reason. Holy ****.

Vehicles
      05 SRT-4 S3R, 95 Volvo T-5R
      04-26-2012 02:19 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Molar View Post
      I wish they'd bring back the RB26 and stuff one of those in the new Z.
      That engine is an emission's nightmare which is why a variant of it has not been further developed and stuffed into the R35.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast