VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Will the next generation Nissan Z have smaller or bigger engine?

• smaller

Votes: 43 62.3%
  • same size

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • bigger

Votes: 9 13.0%

Will the next generation Nissan Z have a smaller or bigger engine?

5K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  jepva 
#1 ·
After reading about how Mazda is thinking about using a smaller engine in their next Miata, that got me to wonder if Nissan is finally going to use a smaller engine in the Z car next tine around? I'd like to see that already since it's just not the same car the original 240Z was, especially since it's 1100 pounds heavier now :( I understand how you can blame lots of the weight on safety regulations :( and consumers not willing to accept a raw bones car like the 240Z originally was. None the less Nissan can still trim lots of pounds from the Z now. Even one of their 4 bangers could crank out more horsies than the original 6 cylinder used in the 240Z(151 horsepower and 146 pound-feet of torque). Although if Nissan did use a 4 banger in the Z now, I get the feeling it would be the FRS/BRZ's new competitor. I can live with that though. :laugh: Nissan is probably safer though keeping the 6 under the hood. I still wonder if they're going to bore out the engine again though :facepalm:

#3 ·
Everything I have read has indicated that Nissan will continue using a variation of the VQ engine.

Might they reduce displacement? Perhaps. More than likely, however, it will stay at 3.7L, but they will increase the horsepower a bit and add fuel-saving functions such as those found on Mazda's Skyactiv engines.

#5 ·
Just for the sake of example of how the Z constantly gets bigger + I prefer a smaller, lighter car too. Long ago I owned a 280Z and even that thing felt too big, especially since the steering was manual. I get the feeling that might have been fine for the 240, but worked against the heavier 280. It was pretty sad to see what happened to the Z after that :(

#11 ·
That would be nice but the typical ego driven Z customer might take some offence to having a tiny 4 banger under the hood, even if it does churn out more HP than the original 240Z did. The Z could certainly get by without its signature long hood with a engine that small too, even though it just wouldn't resemble a Z car then. I know right from the start it was that Jag E-Type look that attracted so many buyers to begin with. I can't forget how Datsun couldn't keep the original 240Z on the showroom floor when it first came out and buyers were happy to pay over sticker for it back then.

#17 ·
From what little we've heard from Nissan/Infiniti, the next G motor will be an evolution of the current VQ37 with a revised head and direct injection and possibly a small bump in displacement. Whether it's also slated for the next Z or not is up in the air, as Infiniti is really trying to seperate from Nissan.

#32 ·
with a turbo and headers. and nawz. from the factory

#36 ·
my educated guess is that they will keep both the 370z moniker and the current engine displacement. The current VQ makes plenty of power - the main complaints have been over NVH and fuel economy. I'm assuming Nissan is working to address these issues, most likely through the use of direct injection technology. I've also read that there are plans to shrink the z even further, so i'm assuming this will be accompanied by a drop in weight. A drop from 3250lbs to 3100lbs seems reasonable if they shrink the size of the car but continue to use a 3.7L v6. I already really like the current model 370z. i would be absolutely ecstatic if nissan released a ~3,100lbs, ~355hp 370z with a modified VQ37 with direct injection.

source: i like to troll around the interwebz for new car news.

#37 ·
Making the current engine more efficient is another possibility too. I was thinking maybe Nissan can do what the Germans are doing now and call it a 370Z which would lead you to believe they're using the 3.7 liter V6 but they actually installed a smaller engine under the hood :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.