Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Replacement Batteries?

Vehicles
      2009/VW/Tiguan
      04-23-2012 09:16 PM #1
      So I've been searching around trying to find a replacement battery. I've had mine die twice on me now, it's telling me it needs replacement.

Looks like my top choice Optima Red-Top is out of the running, they don't seem to think they carry anything for the Tiguan and I can't seem to find one that appears to match the size requirements.

Autozone and Advanced Auto both carry in house batteries, but I'm not impressed.

DieHard seems to be oblivious to batteries for the Tiguan.

NAPA is WAY overprice for a battery that only has an 18month warranty. ($280 seriously?)

I'm leaning toward Interstate Batteries and their Mega-Tron Plus 85 Months 770 CCA for about $150-$175 seems reasonable and has a pretty good replacement warranty.

Any other options out there? Opinions?
      2009 Black/Brown Tiguan SE w/4Motion
      - Added: Revo Stage 1 w/Select Plus, RNS-510, Volk-L Bluetooth, 2" Class 3 Hitch + Trailer Module, VAG-COM Micro-CAN, 19" Savannah 2Tone
      2001 Black/Tan Golf GLS 1.8T w/Monsoon (Wifes)
      - Added: 6 Disc Changer, K&N Filter

2. 04-23-2012 09:46 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by D-Caf View Post
      So I've been searching around trying to find a replacement battery. I've had mine die twice on me now, it's telling me it needs replacement. ... Any other options out there? Opinions?
      I'm not much help at this point, but glad you started the thread. I'm in about the same spot.

If you think the Interstate warranty is decent, that sounds like a good way to go.

I've been tempted by the Optima batteries myself, but I've decided that overspending on car batteries is a waste of $$$.

Vehicles
      2009/VW/Tiguan
      04-23-2012 10:05 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by jsjjnbrunk View Post
      I'm not much help at this point, but glad you started the thread. I'm in about the same spot.

If you think the Interstate warranty is decent, that sounds like a good way to go.

I've been tempted by the Optima batteries myself, but I've decided that overspending on car batteries is a waste of $$$.
      I had an optima Battery in my previous truck and it lasted 5+ years. They aren't cheap (still cheaper than NAPA it seems) but I at least knew it was a solid battery. Unfortunately they don't seem to have a model I can find that fit's the Tiguan. I haven't called them to confirm, but may be more trouble than it's worth.

Still the Interstate has very good CCA and total cranking amps, plus the 30 month full replacement and 85 month pro-rated warranty. Plus it can be sourced locally fairly easily (I think).
      - Added: Revo Stage 1 w/Select Plus, RNS-510, Volk-L Bluetooth, 2" Class 3 Hitch + Trailer Module, VAG-COM Micro-CAN, 19" Savannah 2Tone

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Tiggy HL/SEL 4Mo
      04-23-2012 10:24 PM #4
      Any warranty left?

My Tiguan's battery was replaced thanks to warranty.

Part number on invoice was 000-915-105-DG-DSP.

5. 04-24-2012 12:31 PM #5
      In reference to Interstate Batteries, I have used them in almost all my cars to date. All of them have lasted 6+ yrs. I swear by them.

Also, thanks for posting the factory part# for us to reference

6. 04-24-2012 07:01 PM #6
      WalMart, #41-4. You can get replacement service on it coast-to-coast, made by Johnson Controls, as good as any. They also make Optimas, fwiw.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4Motion, 2012 Touareg Hybrid
      04-24-2012 07:05 PM #7
      Costco or Sam's Club carry lifetime warranty, not sure if they have one that'll fit Tigs.
      My build thread:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...L-build-thread

Mods: X-Pel Headlight Shields, 3M Clear Bra, OEM Door Moldings, OEM Aspherical Mirrors, R-line Door Sills, Rear Hatch Chrome Molding, and many more to come soon...

Vehicles
      2009/VW/Tiguan
      04-24-2012 08:27 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by guten_tiguan View Post
      Any warranty left?

My Tiguan's battery was replaced thanks to warranty.

Part number on invoice was 000-915-105-DG-DSP.
      Well the stock warranty ran out last month, and though I have the platinum extended warranty with no deductible, I'm pretty sure this isn't covered.

I just purchase the Interstate Battery. I'll see if the install goes fine and if so post specs and price. Interstate says this should fit, but from my research all the places say that VW used three different size batteries on the Tiguans in 2009, so few would commit 100% to fitment.

Vehicles
      2009/VW/Tiguan
      04-24-2012 09:21 PM #9
      Ok, so found a perfect match in the Interstate Battery, here are the specs on the battery:

Mega-Tron Plus 85 Months 770 CCA
      Product ID: MTP-48/H6
      Amps: 965
      Cranking Amps: 965
      Cold Cranking Amps: 770
      Voltage: 12
      Pro-rata Warranty: 85
      Weight: 40.5
      Width: 6.937
      Length: 11
      Height: 7.5

It has a 30 month full free replacement warranty, and then pro-rated for the remaining 85 months.

Price was $146.96 plus tax, and includes core discount (return old battery). This was for a 2009 4Motion Tiguan, other models may be different, but hopefully this is fairly universal. So this gives us an Oem option and an Aftermarket.

Install was simple. Loosen the 10mm nut holding down the negative/ground cable in back, remove and set far aside to avoid contact with positive terminal or anything touching positive terminal. Loosen 10mm nut holding down positive cable and remove from terminal post. Loosen battery clamp bolt on the left side with a 13mm socket until very loose (or remove). Then lift the 40+ pound battery out (ughh) and remove it's cozy. Drop in new 40+ pound battery (gently, ughh) with the cozy wrapped back on, and reverse steps. Bolt negative/ground cable last (you'd rather a spark/surge go to ground then back through positive).

Turn on ignition, roll all windows up then down to reset auto windows, turn wheel full left and full right and then press hold the traction control button for 5 seconds (not 100% on this requirement, but it was mentioned somewhere else in a VW thread). Take a quick drive and the steering/traction control lights in the dash should clear. Your then good to go.

10. 04-24-2012 10:06 PM #10
      WalMart's is half the price.

Vehicles
      2009/VW/Tiguan
      04-24-2012 10:30 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Apexxx View Post
      WalMart's is half the price.
      Do you mean this one:

EverStart 41-4 Automotive Battery
      Model No.: 41-4
      Product in Inches (L x W x H): 12.25 x 6.88 x 6.88
      Walmart No.: 001043223
      Warranty: 2 year free replacement
      Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 650
      Cranking Amps: 810

Yes, it's cheaper but I prefer higher CCA for my cold winters here and all my electronics. It also sounds a little long dimension wise, but walmarts website might be off some. The Interstate battery was a perfect match dimension wise to the OEM I took out.
      Last edited by D-Caf; 04-24-2012 at 10:32 PM.

12. 04-25-2012 08:17 AM #12
      A few different sizes fit, but the WM is a particularly good deal.

I had a couple of new Hondas, their battery is puny.