VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

vw jetta 1996 2.0,-engine problem,lack of power

5K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  VW_MK3_270 
#1 ·
car drives but lack of power , engine works on loudly but car drives very slow andonneutralgearorp gearengine has not permanentnoiseandsome strange noise coming from around throttle body or upper gasket?????please help,lastly like week ago i changed timing belt and now i checked it is on marks,what can be problem of car ,i drove like 120 miles after change of timming everything was ok , and now its loosing a power,whatcouldhappen?????i scan car and it shows :p0141, po341,po140,po171,1580....please help????anyadvise???

#4 ·
im going to say english is probably his second language.

gugi said:
car drives but lack of power. engine runs loudly but car drives very slow; and in neutral or P gear, engine has a weird noise and some strange noise coming from around throttle body or upper gasket. please help. Also, like a week ago i changed the timing belt and i just re-checked it, and it is on the correct marks. What can be the car's problem? I drove like 120 miles after changing the timing belt, everything was ok but now its loosing power. What could have happened? I scanned the car and it shows :p0141, po341,po140,po171,1580. Please help? any advise?
i just edited it as best as I could understand here...

Your codes:

It sounds like you almost definitely need to replace your rear O2 sensor; re-check your timing (again) to make sure everything is lined up Perfectly, and possibly find a VAG-COM to do a TB alignment.

#6 ·
i don't know that he would get those codes from a clogged cat. When I had a clogged cat issue, I don't recall getting any o2 sensor related codes, but the CEL blinked a lot (which per owners manual means the cat is bad). if it were me - I'd pull the front o2, see how it runs (to check for clogged cat), check timing again, consider replacing the rear o2

Oh and I just thought of this.. OP said he hears a funny noise near the intake mani/tb area - Check for broken vacuum lines! If I'm not mistaken, an open vac line into the intake could cause it to run like absolute ****, and cause the too lean code.

#9 ·
Front o2 is on the exhaust downpipe just a bit before the catalytic converter. Vacuum lines will all be fairly small hoses, all over the place honestly. It's common for them to dry rot and break you would be he's to get a repair manual to help identify where they all are.z

#13 ·
So I tried to start ny engine yesterday ,and nothing ,but I smell a gasoline in engine,.I pulled oil dipstick and it smells like gasoline in there, I tried also to get off my front O2 sensor ,like someone advised me , but I can't its so hard to unscrew it, I snaped the nut.maybe there is other way to get it off? So right now I am frustrated, I checked vacum lines, I disconnected the battery for couple hours ,and get it back ,turned the key so throttle body can adjust by itself,and still car don't start,checked the spark plugs ,there were little bit dark color on top ,but it gets sparks,maybe car doesn't get fuel up to engine?,how to check it? So today I will buy compression tester ,and ckeck the engine pressure,also I'm gonna ckech timming marks.

#20 ·
Hi,I just found that my crankshaft is not on marks I spinned engine by hand twice and marks on fly wheel and on lower tm cover aren't correct with crankshaft wheel.I think when my friend changed tm and crankshaft sprocket spinned and broke ,he has changed that but didn't set it up with marks on lower cover and flywheel.could I get advice how to reset this crankshaft sprocket,and how to see when Mark on flywheel is in good position??? please need advice,[
Also can I take down timming belt from crankshaft,keep it on marks with camshaft and spin crankshaft clockwise to adjust it on marks with lower timing belt cover.tahst is gonna be ok,?

#22 ·
Ok guys,last thing which I would like to know?? When my friend changed crankshaft sprocket ,he didn't put new crankshaft bolt,he reused old one.do you think it can break one day,so should I change it before adjusting my crankshaft sprocket,and if so ,I unscrew this bolt counterclockwise?? Do I need special tool for that to block crankshaft to get off the bolt??

#23 ·
Jesus mother freaking hell. You don't need damned vag-com for throttle body alignment on a mark 3. So stop saying it. ARRRRRRHGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

#27 ·
Really need help with my 96 2.0 jetta. Engine is cranking but don't wanna start and i smell gasoline,and surk plugs look wet from gasoline

I CHECKED TIMING BELT AGAIN, LOOKS OK ON EVERY MARK.SPARKS CONDUCT ELECTRIC,I CHECKED COMPRESSOON,ON EVERY SPARK IT SHOWS ME 50 PSI,LAST TIME I DROVE CAR IT HAD NO POWER AT ALL I COULD DRIVE ONLY 25 MILES PER HOUR,WAS VERY WEEK,AND AFTER THAT TIME WHEN TURNED OFF ENGINE,NEXT DAY I COULDN'T START IT ON UNTIL TODAY.FRIeND OF MINE WHO HAVE CHANGED TIMING BEFORE BROKE MY CRANKSHAFT WHEEL,AND HE PUT NEW ONE ,HE SAID THAT VALVES DIDN'T GET BANDED,AND I DROVE MY CAR AFTER THAT FOR AROUND WEEK,I DID LIKE AROUND 100 MILES.AND SUDDENLY ONE TIME IT HAPPENED THAT CAR LOST ALL THE POWER,I JUST GET LUCKY I GET ON MY DRIVEWAY.WHAT SOULD I CHECK,TIMONG IS ON AND LOOKS LIKE PERFEC,,THE ONLY THING IS THAT ON FLYWHEEL IDONT SEE THAT 0 MARK BUT WHEEL WHEEL WHICH GOES ON CRANKSHAFT WHEEL IS ON MARK WITH MARK ON PLASTIC ARROW.CAMSHAFT IS ON 0 T MARK AND ROTOR IS ON MARK.PLEASE ANY ADVICE?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.