Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: vw jetta 1996 2.0,-engine problem,lack of power

1. 04-23-2012 10:07 PM #1
      car drives but lack of power , engine works on loudly but car drives very slow andonneutralgearorp gearengine has not permanentnoiseandsome strange noise coming from around throttle body or upper gasket?????please help,lastly like week ago i changed timing belt and now i checked it is on marks,what can be problem of car ,i drove like 120 miles after change of timming everything was ok , and now its loosing a power,whatcouldhappen?????i scan car and it shows :p0141, po341,po140,po171,1580....please help????anyadvise???

2. Junior Member Grilledcheesemk3gti's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1996 White Golf GTI, 1997 Tan Jetta GL
      04-24-2012 12:44 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by gugi View Post
      car drives but lack of power , engine works on loudly but car drives very slow andonneutralgearorp gearengine has not permanentnoiseandsome strange noise coming from around throttle body or upper gasket?????please help,lastly like week ago i changed timing belt and now i checked it is on marks,what can be problem of car ,i drove like 120 miles after change of timming everything was ok , and now its loosing a power,whatcouldhappen?????i scan car and it shows :p0141, po341,po140,po171,1580....please help????anyadvise???
      I had the same problem turned out to be that the spark plug wires were put on wrong so it was firing 2,3,4,1 instead of 1,3,4,2 but check your cat also try removing the front O2 sensor so all the exhaust fumes have somewhere to go but if not then i dont know what else to tell you good luck on that thou!

Vehicles
      2005 Outback XT, Truck, Boat, Quad
      04-24-2012 09:08 AM #3
      is that english?
      Quote Originally Posted by hipster. View Post
      There aint no OZ in rape.

Vehicles
      96 Golf Harlequin
      04-24-2012 09:48 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by WakusPakus View Post
      is that english?
      im going to say english is probably his second language.

Quote Originally Posted by gugi
      car drives but lack of power. engine runs loudly but car drives very slow; and in neutral or P gear, engine has a weird noise and some strange noise coming from around throttle body or upper gasket. please help. Also, like a week ago i changed the timing belt and i just re-checked it, and it is on the correct marks. What can be the car's problem? I drove like 120 miles after changing the timing belt, everything was ok but now its loosing power. What could have happened? I scanned the car and it shows :p0141, po341,po140,po171,1580. Please help? any advise?
      i just edited it as best as I could understand here...

Your codes:

It sounds like you almost definitely need to replace your rear O2 sensor; re-check your timing (again) to make sure everything is lined up Perfectly, and possibly find a VAG-COM to do a TB alignment.
      '96 Golf Harlequin VR6, Chagal Blue base

Vehicles
      8v army
      04-24-2012 02:54 PM #5
      2.0 liter? Take care of the codes and you should be good
      Edit: A clogged cat could cause the car to run like dookie as well
      Quote Originally Posted by jbigs268 View Post
      Then wait till you can afford the CXs, buy them so your kid doesnt get shaking baby syndrome from the racelands

Vehicles
      96 Golf Harlequin
      04-24-2012 04:10 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by 87veedub View Post
      2.0 liter? Take care of the codes and you should be good
      Edit: A clogged cat could cause the car to run like dookie as well
      i don't know that he would get those codes from a clogged cat. When I had a clogged cat issue, I don't recall getting any o2 sensor related codes, but the CEL blinked a lot (which per owners manual means the cat is bad). if it were me - I'd pull the front o2, see how it runs (to check for clogged cat), check timing again, consider replacing the rear o2

Oh and I just thought of this.. OP said he hears a funny noise near the intake mani/tb area - Check for broken vacuum lines! If I'm not mistaken, an open vac line into the intake could cause it to run like absolute ****, and cause the too lean code.

7. 04-24-2012 05:11 PM #7
      Thanks a lot for advise,I'm gonna do these steps you told!by the way where is located front o2 sensor,and vacum lines?

Vehicles
      00 Cabrio 97 GLX 97 Cabrio 92 GLI 83 GTI 79 Scirocco
      04-24-2012 05:44 PM #8
      Something may have come loose like wires or vacuum hoses after the timing belt change. I would look at everything that was put on and off then.

Vehicles
      96 Golf Harlequin
      04-24-2012 09:04 PM #9
      Thanks a lot for advise,I'm gonna do these steps you told!by the way where is located front o2 sensor,and vacum lines?
      Front o2 is on the exhaust downpipe just a bit before the catalytic converter. Vacuum lines will all be fairly small hoses, all over the place honestly. It's common for them to dry rot and break you would be he's to get a repair manual to help identify where they all are.z

Vehicles
      Too many
      04-24-2012 11:02 PM #10
      P0341: Camshaft position sensor - http://www.obd-codes.com/p0341

Is the key fellas.

Timing is off.

Its causing the other codes.

Check your timing belt OP.

Vehicles
      8v army
      04-25-2012 02:22 PM #11
      DJR for president!
      Then wait till you can afford the CXs, buy them so your kid doesnt get shaking baby syndrome from the racelands

Vehicles
      2005 Outback XT, Truck, Boat, Quad
      04-25-2012 02:40 PM #12
      DJR for president!
      you've got my vote!!!
      Quote Originally Posted by hipster. View Post
      There aint no OZ in rape.

13. 04-26-2012 07:52 AM #13
      So I tried to start ny engine yesterday ,and nothing ,but I smell a gasoline in engine,.I pulled oil dipstick and it smells like gasoline in there, I tried also to get off my front O2 sensor ,like someone advised me , but I can't its so hard to unscrew it, I snaped the nut.maybe there is other way to get it off? So right now I am frustrated, I checked vacum lines, I disconnected the battery for couple hours ,and get it back ,turned the key so throttle body can adjust by itself,and still car don't start,checked the spark plugs ,there were little bit dark color on top ,but it gets sparks,maybe car doesn't get fuel up to engine?,how to check it? So today I will buy compression tester ,and ckeck the engine pressure,also I'm gonna ckech timming marks.

Vehicles
      Too many
      04-26-2012 08:03 AM #14
      Reset the timng belt.

04-26-2012 08:09 AM #15
      DJR for president!
      Nut swinger.

Ad I have nothing to add to the thread

16. 04-26-2012 11:42 AM #16
      what do you mean by reseting timming belt!

17. 04-26-2012 11:57 AM #17
      Should I adjust it from the begining.

Vehicles
      Too many
      04-26-2012 08:16 PM #18
      what do you mean by reseting timming belt!

Inspect the timing marks on the;

Flywheel
      Cam Gear
      and Distributor

Vehicles
      8v army
      04-27-2012 02:57 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by vento86 View Post
      Nut swinger.

Ad I have nothing to add to the thread
      You jelly bro?

20. 05-09-2012 08:58 AM #20
      Hi,I just found that my crankshaft is not on marks I spinned engine by hand twice and marks on fly wheel and on lower tm cover aren't correct with crankshaft wheel.I think when my friend changed tm and crankshaft sprocket spinned and broke ,he has changed that but didn't set it up with marks on lower cover and flywheel.could I get advice how to reset this crankshaft sprocket,and how to see when Mark on flywheel is in good position??? please need advice,[
      Also can I take down timming belt from crankshaft,keep it on marks with camshaft and spin crankshaft clockwise to adjust it on marks with lower timing belt cover.tahst is gonna be ok,?

Vehicles
      Too many
      05-09-2012 09:35 AM #21

22. 05-09-2012 05:59 PM #22
      Ok guys,last thing which I would like to know?? When my friend changed crankshaft sprocket ,he didn't put new crankshaft bolt,he reused old one.do you think it can break one day,so should I change it before adjusting my crankshaft sprocket,and if so ,I unscrew this bolt counterclockwise?? Do I need special tool for that to block crankshaft to get off the bolt??

23. 05-09-2012 08:09 PM #23
      Jesus mother freaking hell. You don't need damned vag-com for throttle body alignment on a mark 3. So stop saying it. ARRRRRRHGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Did you know that it's not pronounced Em Kay ? ALL OF THE CAR LOUNGE WILL BE HAPPY TO LET YOU KNOW THAT. SERIOUSLY. IT STANDS FOR MARK. DID YOU KNOW THAT? BEFORE THAT A1,A2, A3, ETC WAS USED. LIVE UP TO TCL STANDARDS BEFORE YOU GET ON MY ASS. THAT'S DISGUSTING.
      Example of TCL's standards

Vehicles
      1995 MK3 Jetta 2.0, 1997 GTI VR6
      05-09-2012 08:37 PM #24
      Just thought I'd comment on how rhetorical this post's title is.
      http://i.imgur.com/YaKvp.gif

Quote Originally Posted by I haz cheezeburgerz View Post
      I want my click back

25. 05-09-2012 10:12 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyLawson View Post
      Just thought I'd comment on how rhetorical this post's title is.
      You mean ironic?
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Did you know that it's not pronounced Em Kay ? ALL OF THE CAR LOUNGE WILL BE HAPPY TO LET YOU KNOW THAT. SERIOUSLY. IT STANDS FOR MARK. DID YOU KNOW THAT? BEFORE THAT A1,A2, A3, ETC WAS USED. LIVE UP TO TCL STANDARDS BEFORE YOU GET ON MY ASS. THAT'S DISGUSTING.
      Example of TCL's standards

Vehicles
      1995 MK3 Jetta 2.0, 1997 GTI VR6
      05-09-2012 11:31 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by emkaytree View Post
      You mean ironic?
      and yes.... don't you think... My 2.0 has a problem with power too.
      http://i.imgur.com/YaKvp.gif

Quote Originally Posted by I haz cheezeburgerz View Post
      I want my click back

27. 06-09-2012 08:54 PM #27
      I CHECKED TIMING BELT AGAIN, LOOKS OK ON EVERY MARK.SPARKS CONDUCT ELECTRIC,I CHECKED COMPRESSOON,ON EVERY SPARK IT SHOWS ME 50 PSI,LAST TIME I DROVE CAR IT HAD NO POWER AT ALL I COULD DRIVE ONLY 25 MILES PER HOUR,WAS VERY WEEK,AND AFTER THAT TIME WHEN TURNED OFF ENGINE,NEXT DAY I COULDN'T START IT ON UNTIL TODAY.FRIeND OF MINE WHO HAVE CHANGED TIMING BEFORE BROKE MY CRANKSHAFT WHEEL,AND HE PUT NEW ONE ,HE SAID THAT VALVES DIDN'T GET BANDED,AND I DROVE MY CAR AFTER THAT FOR AROUND WEEK,I DID LIKE AROUND 100 MILES.AND SUDDENLY ONE TIME IT HAPPENED THAT CAR LOST ALL THE POWER,I JUST GET LUCKY I GET ON MY DRIVEWAY.WHAT SOULD I CHECK,TIMONG IS ON AND LOOKS LIKE PERFEC,,THE ONLY THING IS THAT ON FLYWHEEL IDONT SEE THAT 0 MARK BUT WHEEL WHEEL WHICH GOES ON CRANKSHAFT WHEEL IS ON MARK WITH MARK ON PLASTIC ARROW.CAMSHAFT IS ON 0 T MARK AND ROTOR IS ON MARK.PLEASE ANY ADVICE?

Vehicles
      96 Golf Harlequin
      06-10-2012 04:50 PM #28
      Take it to a garage and get a competent mechanic to fix it.

Vehicles
      Slammed&Cammed Golf
      06-10-2012 05:28 PM #29
      When my friend changed crankshaft sprocket ,he didn't put new crankshaft bolt,he reused old one.do you think it can break one day...
      It is a TTY bolt. It is one time use only.
      /////////