Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Way to force my desktop narrower than my monitor?

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-23-2012 11:17 PM #1
      Ok, I was wanting to play Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne (never played it before, scored a copy for almost nothing).. and it plays great on my PC at all ultra high (it is a very old game now).
      But..... there is no way to set it up properly for widescreen.
      Everything is stretched wide... like this is the Klumps version of Max Payne.

I went through everything in the AMD Vision Center (CCC) and could find nothing to adjust my HD 5670 to a narrower desktop than my monitor- it stretches by default.

I checked my monitor setting and there are no "vertical and horizontal size" options.

And I know this can be done- when I connect my old office Dell laptop to this monitor it has a cropped desktop until I change the desktop resolution, then it stretches automatically.

So.... what is out there (free) that will let me do this (put black bars on sides of screen to make my monitor standard format)?

I do have a standard format monitor I use, but it is off to the side (no desk space) and does not work with my speaker/keyboard/mouse set up to play games.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      04-24-2012 07:37 AM #2
      There is an option for monitor scaling in CCC, you just have to find it. I can't remember off the top of my head what menu it's under but it's probably under one of the monitor menus.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-24-2012 11:13 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      There is an option for monitor scaling in CCC, you just have to find it. I can't remember off the top of my head what menu it's under but it's probably under one of the monitor menus.
      You are thinking of over scan.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      04-24-2012 12:08 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You are thinking of over scan.
      No I'm not.

"Maintain aspect ratio" will display the game in the center of the screen using whatever resolution the game uses. If the game is 800x600 the game will be drawn using the center-most 800x600 pixels of the display.

EDIT: From AMD's website:

Reason to use GPU Scaling:
      With GPU Scaling, a user can configure an image to take advantage of:

-The highest picture quality available by using the image’s native aspect ratio
      -The full display area by stretching the image to fill the display
      -As much of the display area as possible while trying to maintain the highest quality picture possible
      Last edited by Hostile; 04-24-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-24-2012 01:28 PM #5
      yes I do have that but it never gives me the option to adjust (stays grayed out).

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      04-24-2012 01:35 PM #6
      Read my link above, it's titled "GPU-68: Unable to set GPU Scaling option in ATI Catalyst™ Control Center".

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-24-2012 07:25 PM #7
      Read my link above, it's titled "GPU-68: Unable to set GPU Scaling option in ATI Catalyst™ Control Center".
      Ahh..... I had it set to native when I tried to turn it off before.
      Now it works.
      Thanks.

Vehicles
      2004 Turbo VR6
      04-25-2012 11:58 AM #8
      No I'm not.

"Maintain aspect ratio" will display the game in the center of the screen using whatever resolution the game uses. If the game is 800x600 the game will be drawn using the center-most 800x600 pixels of the display.

EDIT: From AMD's website:
      Actually, it wont. Maintain aspect ratio will maintain the aspect ratio, it will blow the image up as large as it can without changing the aspect ratio. This could cause borders on the top and bottom or left and right.

The setting for staying in the center is 'Use Center Timings'
      -James
      04 GTI Silverstone 24vT :: GT35r - TT 264/260 - Unitronic 630cc - Bosch 044 - Area51 SRI - Full 3" TB :: More in progress
      >> http://zingledot.myminicity.com/ | http://sourceforge.net/projects/imagizer2 <<

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      04-25-2012 01:03 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by PhReE View Post
      Actually, it wont. Maintain aspect ratio will maintain the aspect ratio, it will blow the image up as large as it can without changing the aspect ratio. This could cause borders on the top and bottom or left and right.

The setting for staying in the center is 'Use Center Timings'
      Yup, you're right.