Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: will Warranty be honored overseas?

1. 04-24-2012 12:30 AM #1
      Hello Eveeryone,
      I am really confused about a subject. People keep giving me different opinions and i have no idea what is true anymore!
      Ok, so i live in the Us, and i am planning to buy a 2012 Passat TDI then send it overseas to Tunisia.
      I could get it from Tunisia but i am in love with the one made here as opposed to the European one; which is what i would get if i bought it from Tunisia.
      Anyway my worries are that if i got the car here and sent it to Tunisia will the warranty be voided? Is the warranty something that VW (as a company) honors anywhere there's a dealership throughout the world?
      If not, what do you recommend, should i suck it up and get the car from Tunisia with its warranty? or is there a way to get the car from USA and transfer the warranty to where the car is going? (the car will be registered in Tunisia.)
      Is there such a thing as International warranty?

I really really appreciate any help before i go ahead and commit.
      Many thanks!
      Moez.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE, Sunroof, Nav, Black & Biege
      04-24-2012 12:53 AM #2
      Hang on one sec....!!! You would rather have the US spec over the euro spec one? Is this for pure dollars and cents, because from the little I've read and seen the Euro one is about 250% nicer then the US spec Passat.

3. 04-24-2012 01:06 AM #3
      really? I guess i am just judging from the looks so far. I like the American body style better and i like that it is bigger and roomier.
      SO you think the european one would make a smarter buy?
      thank you.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat V6 SEL Prem/Nav; 2012 Tiguan SEL Prem/Nav
      04-24-2012 03:29 AM #4
      Find a region that is based on the US version then try from them... That route may have an international warranty. Believe I read somewhere the Arab version is really the US model exported. Again, and as you mention your reason, due to the roomier specs. Try UAE or Bahrain exports?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      04-24-2012 01:56 PM #5
      there is a thread going in here called my euro B7.. take a look at it.. it is a wagon.. but still.. the craftsmanship, features, interior quality and attention to detail are in a whole different league from the US one.

Obviously it is your call, but if it were me and I had the choice.. nothing would stop me from getting the euro spec one. It reminds me of my 09 GLI autobahn and maybe even still nicer.. still has the true VW essence which I sadly will admit is mostly lost in the US passat.. although it is still a nice car and I do enjoy it.. I can tell the euro is the true winner.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      04-24-2012 02:35 PM #6
      turboDSG, just so you don't think it's weird, I also prefer the NA over the Euro Passat. Features aside, I like the sharper lines, and the interior better. The Euro B7 is just a refreshed B6, so not much is changed overall besides the front and rear. Even in the B6, I wasn't high on the interior, thus I'm still not high on the Euro B7.

OP, now as far as features, if you can afford it the Euro version would have more features on the higher end. (I think I remember reading that even the base Euro Passat doesn't have things like LED tails or headlights). The warranty I think would be iffy though. Because there maybe a clause saying that NA Passat's are warrantied by VWoA, and might not be covered by VW overseas. I would def ask around about that.
      ||||||||||||||
      CURRENT: 2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      PREVIOUS: 2009 VW Tiguan SE; 2006 VW Passat 2.0T; 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva Coupe

7. 04-24-2012 10:26 PM #7
      awesome guys! I really appreciate the help. Although i love the interior and the size of the NA Passat , i may have to go with the Euro one just because it makes more sense since it is going to be registered in a country where Euro VWs are all over the place.

The thing is, as far as cost goes It will turn out to be the same for me after adding the cost of shipping and all, so i think i may make my decision based on not having to fight Tunisian vw dealers about the warranty. so what do you guys think? if cost will turn out to be the same, it would make more sense to go for the Euro one, right?
      thanks so much!

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      04-24-2012 10:44 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by moezart View Post
      awesome guys! I really appreciate the help. Although i love the interior and the size of the NA Passat , i may have to go with the Euro one just because it makes more sense since it is going to be registered in a country where Euro VWs are all over the place.

The thing is, as far as cost goes It will turn out to be the same for me after adding the cost of shipping and all, so i think i may make my decision based on not having to fight Tunisian vw dealers about the warranty. so what do you guys think? if cost will turn out to be the same, it would make more sense to go for the Euro one, right?
      thanks so much!
      From what I know. You can't get any warranty worked done on US cars out of country. You can't get warranty on US spec cars even in Canada.

I know a older couple took a brand new 2010 Touareg TDI to Central America after a few thousand miles and they wanted to know.

My buddy use to work at Champion Audi in South Florida. A guy from South Africa brought his brand new Audi S8 over and some parts failed. He paid out of pocket to get it fixed.

9. 04-24-2012 11:21 PM #9
      that is great help.. thanks so much

10. Member
      Vehicles
      04-25-2012 12:25 AM #10
      I totally respect that many people may favor the NA over the euro one. I think in this case the euro one makes the most sense logistically and in my opinion you are getting a sweet ride with higher quality and attention to detail to boot.

If I lost a few inches here and there in my passat I would not feel bad. When I do have a full back seat from time to time it's nice but it is also almost overkill and I'd happily give up 2 inches back there for LED surrounded HID's, a turbo gas engine, a softer interior with stitching around the door inserts.. etc.. etc etc

11. 04-26-2012 03:34 AM #11
      bear in mind guys that i will be be taking the car overseas. Somewhere where Euro cars are 99% of what is driven there. So, as much love as i have for the styling and the room of the US model, i think i should be more realistic and stick with what makes sense... unless you can tell me that mechanically, the US one is superior, Is it?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      04-27-2012 12:29 AM #12
      Again.. I'm going out on a limb here and I love my fellow countrymen.. but I'm gonna guess the car made in Wolfsburg is as good or most likely better then the one made in TN.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL, 2009 Corvette, 2005 BMW X3, 1990 Camaro RS 5.0
      04-27-2012 10:03 AM #13
      Not sure about Tunisia but I live and work in Germany and have a US Passat NA and YES the warranty is honored at the German VW Dealers,
      U.S.Army

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      04-27-2012 07:43 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by tonymey View Post
      Not sure about Tunisia but I live and work in Germany and have a US Passat NA and YES the warranty is honored at the German VW Dealers,
      Only because you are Military.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL, 2009 Corvette, 2005 BMW X3, 1990 Camaro RS 5.0
      04-28-2012 01:04 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Boosted2003! View Post
      Only because you are Military.
      Not sure that is a correct statement,, I can go to any VW German dealer and get service, and it's not becuase of being in the Military. There are all kinds of American Spec cars here and all get service at German Dealers, Ford, Chrysler, Toyotas, and even my Corvette's warranty was honored here.
      U.S.Army

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      04-28-2012 01:49 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by tonymey View Post
      Not sure that is a correct statement,, I can go to any VW German dealer and get service, and it's not becuase of being in the Military. There are all kinds of American Spec cars here and all get service at German Dealers, Ford, Chrysler, Toyotas, and even my Corvette's warranty was honored here.
      Hmm. Maybe its a German thing?

I know for a fact US dealerships will not do any warranty work except for cars that are US spec. I know Costa Rica/Balieze/Venezuela will not do US spec cars.
      Last edited by Boosted2003!; 04-28-2012 at 01:51 AM.