Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Opinions on putting Pink on B5.5

Vehicles
      2003 Volkswagen Passat V6 4Motion
      04-24-2012 04:18 AM #1
      Hello all,

I just purchased a 03 VW Passat V6 4Motion. I traded in my Accord for it, so I've been recruited over from Honda. Lol. My husband has been a VW lover for most of his life and after driving my new car, I am one too now. My only problem I have is that all the cars I have owned I have personalized in some way, either by putting pink flames down the sides and hood or bumper stickers and a lot of small decals. I realize that it's not the VW way to over visually modify the vehicle, but I do want to personalize it in some way. My colors I want to do it in are silver (the cars actual color), black, and with pink accents. What does everyone think about my plan to do silver and black on the exterior and black with pink on the interior? And I would only put a few pink accents on the exterior.
      The only reason I ask is because my husband and his best friend are against anything I want to do to the car, while they are already planning on lowering it, putting an exhaust on it, getting new rims, putting a chip in it, and putting a sub in it. (Which I don't object to at all)
      So what do you think?

---Val

Vehicles
      04-24-2012 04:25 AM #2
      Photobucket

3. Member
      Vehicles
      B5.5, Range Rover Classic
      04-24-2012 05:00 AM #3
      First off you cant chip it. Secondly its YOUR car. Do what you want to it. You want to rock some pink you go right ahead. If its anything being an enthusiast is about being an individual. You neex to grab your husband by the scruff and remind him who is boss. My B5.5 may just get some ghost flames in pink to prove a point. Anyone who doesnt like it can come out to the track and get educated. Rock your colors!

Vehicles
      04-24-2012 05:11 AM #4
      Thank you. They think that just because they know more about cars they can tell me what to do to my own car. Yes, I will let them do the performance mods because I really don't know all that much about them (I'm still learning), but when it comes to looks of the car I know what I like. It just might take me beating one or both of them over the head with a bat to get my point across.

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      04-24-2012 07:09 AM #5
      What performance mods are they considering? Lowering the car will stress the suspension components and give it a much harsher ride; it's essentially just for appearance. Ditto on larger wheels, except those usually slow down the car. Chipping a V6 (while possible) is $500 spent for perhaps 3-5 HP. An exhaust will also yield a couple of HP at best; it's mostly about sound.

All those things are about changing the esthetics of the car to what boy racers like, and are so common as to hardly be "personalizations" at all.

Money saved by skipping those would probably buy you a complete pink interior; and despite my testosterone-induced befuddlement, I've seen that on a Cadillac and it didn't look half bad.

Vehicles
      2001.5 VW Passat V6 FWD (RIP), 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T 6spd manual
      04-24-2012 09:59 AM #6
      personally, i'd keep the pink as an "accent"... possibly de-chrome the trim by painting all the chrome trim and emblems pink. either that, or paint the trim black or silver (color-match), but make the VW logos on the front and rear pink.

i've seen people take the headlights apart and color-match the inside housings instead of the oem chrome as well. you could do this with your silver, black or pink as well.

if you're looking for a whole new paint scheme, then I'd do a black roof, black trunk top and black hood. for the hood, follow the lines that start out wide by the windshield and curve back in towards the grille. you could add a little pink pinstriping/outline between the black and silver portions. perhaps have the black w/ the pink outline flow all the way down the front to the bottom of the front bumper. it will give it a b6/audi type of look.
      God bless the homicidal maniacs... they make life worthwhile. - George Carlin

Vehicles
      04-24-2012 10:17 AM #7
      kinda like this... i tried to add a thin pink line, but not sure if you can really see it too well.

here's my idea: basically, everything inside the pink lines is black, including the grilles, vw logo is pink. everything else is your oem silver, including the rest of the lower black mouldings around the car (color-match the lowers), but leave the lower-outer grilles (where the fogs are) black like they are in the pic.

in my head, this looks pretty cool... custom, classy, a bit of b6/audi flavor, and not TOO feminine.

Vehicles
      2003 VW Passat W8 6 speed
      04-24-2012 11:12 AM #8
      You must be very careful with what you're planning, it could turn out EXTREMELY trashy looking (the talk of pink flames and such on previous cars scares me). Here's some inspiration for you, one of my most favorite cars, though the pink wheels are bold, the pink on the rest of the car is minimal.

I think if you did a black roof, pink wheels, badgeless grilled with little pink outline just like that, it could turn out pretty cool. Don't get any ebay headlights or tail lights, they're all ugly. Don't add random bits of pink all over the place because it sounds like a good idea. It's all about being subtle.
      Last edited by sdavis872; 04-24-2012 at 11:14 AM.
      \\_\__\___http://lowdownlabs.com/ ___/__/_//
      Passat W8 Sport 6 speed manual
      BC Racing Coilovers | Avant Garde M550 19x9.5 | Delinte Thunder D7 245 35 19 | COAM
      SpeedTuning USA Stage 2 | B6 S4 calipers | S5 rotors | Stop Tech Pads

9. 04-24-2012 12:53 PM #9
      WHat wheels on that car?

Vehicles
      Past-2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Current-2004 Passat 1.8T
      04-24-2012 02:12 PM #10
      I would have to agree with scotts13 on the mods. Your husband must think its a 1.8T or something...

But of course it's your car so do what you want!

But since you asked what we think.... I don't think you should do any kind of decals like flames. Maybe some black rims with pink outlining? eh? and you could paint your front and back VW emblems pink
      Watch for dogs.

Vehicles
      2001 Passat Wagon
      04-24-2012 03:21 PM #11
      Hi Val,

It is so great to hear from you. I am glad you are thinking about customizing your car. I would reccomend replacing anything red with your color of choice (pink ) This could be done with the floor mats, maybe the brake roters, and the interior lights which are originally red. You could also put pink lights under the dash and in the trunk with your subwoofers.

Hope to hear back soon and that all goes well!

Love,
      Roket.
      GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND.
      I like grocery getters.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      04-24-2012 04:35 PM #12
      I disagree on the "way harsher ride" I installed H&R sportcup kit in my car and with stock wheels it wasnt that bad. The addition of 18" it still felt great. Not backbreakerIneedtoseethechiropractor ride. Exhaust... well the the 3.0 is going to limited you but thats ok. where to put the pink? Well looking at the car I wouldnt do any harsh loud pink like the rims on that gti those wheels just keep slapping me in the face when I look at them. The pink flames or whatever design I mentioned was GHOST. Go google ghost flames. Done correctly they wouldnt pop out at you. Nice subtle paint would look classy with the silver. Maybe black wheels with a soft metallic pink stripe along the edge. And for the love of god DONT paint the calipers pink. Now the interior. Dont just plop random pink items like floormats or a pink shift knob. You have to look at your car like an outfit. Your going to "wear" the car. Do you go out in public with a nice outfit and wear hot pink lipstick and hot pink eyeshadow? didnt think so. Look at the car as an extention of you. You wouldnt let your husband dress you now would you?

Vehicles
      04-24-2012 08:13 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by 911_fan View Post
      WHat wheels on that car?
      Vossen
      BC Racing Coilovers | Avant Garde M550 19x9.5 | Delinte Thunder D7 245 35 19 | COAM

Vehicles
      1 Sedan and 1 Wagon - both Wolfsburg's
      04-24-2012 08:51 PM #14
      Find wheels you like the look of, paint them pink.

Take a look at Toronto's own Susannah and her silver on pink GTI:
      http://www.eurotuner.com/featuredveh...i/viewall.html

Done.

You can chip a V6, it's just not worth it at all.
      VAGKRAFT | Red BBS RS for sale | Mk6 Part Out | Micro Can VagCom in the Toronto Area

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 02:38 AM #15
      This is what I'm thinking for the front end as far as color-wise.
      This was done in Paint, so bare with me.

Photobucket

And I will be putting new headlights in with black housing so they pop better.
      Also, for the wheels I want to do black rims with a pink lip.

Vehicles
      Past-2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Current-2004 Passat 1.8T
      04-27-2012 03:02 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by ValentineHart View Post
      Also, for the wheels I want to do black rims with a pink lip.
      That'll be cool! make sure to post a picture!
      Watch for dogs.

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 10:05 AM #17
      I would say no to black rub strips, but that's because I've always hated them, makes the car look cheap. And don't to any ebay headlights, they're ugly. Just Joey mod yours.

18. Forum Sponsor Santos@Ross-Tech.com's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2008 GTI
      04-27-2012 01:36 PM #18
      have you looked into plastidipping instead of painting?

http://www.dipyourcar.com/

You can peel it off if you do not like it. I'm planning to Plastidip my brothers jetta Gunmetal gray.
      VCDS Diagnostic System For VW/AUDI/SEAT/Skoda/Bentley
      www.Ross-Tech.com

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 08:48 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Santos@Ross-Tech.com View Post
      have you looked into plastidipping instead of painting?

http://www.dipyourcar.com/

You can peel it off if you do not like it. I'm planning to Plastidip my brothers jetta Gunmetal gray.
      A local guy did this, matte black, looks like garbage because it's peeling on it's own now.

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 04:27 AM #20
      Photobucket

Okay, went a little of a different direction with it. Lol. But the black is all plastic dipped and I am planning on doing the emblem pink. ^_^
      Does anyone know of some nice headlights with black housing that aren't too expensive? I know a lot of people keep saying not to go to ebay for them, but they are the only ones I can really find that I'm willing to pay their price.

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 01:25 AM #21
      My work in progress. ^_^
      I'm open to opinions and suggestions. My color scheme is silver and black with pink accents.

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 09:45 AM #22
      the ebay references are mostly about the aftermarket brands that add leds and/or halos. if you're looking for something more "oem" w/ black housings, then try these. $212 for the pair isn't a bad price:

http://www.kgsengineering.com/store/...eadlights.html

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 10:36 AM #23
      My suggestion is to peel the plasti-dip off, I think it looks horrible there. Should probably just leave the car alone because things like this make me think it's going to just get worse. Do you have pictures of your husbands car? I'm curious as to how it looks...

Vehicles
      2013.5 GLI Autobahn
      04-30-2012 12:32 PM #24
      Is the car on jack stands in the pictures? Looks like it (I hope so).

Before doing anything to the car, I would seriously advise you to go to a show or two (VW/Audi, like SoWo), and see what others are doing. There are plenty girls/women out there that are into modding/personalizing their cars. You can do some little subtle things here and there along the way that won't take away from the car's original look, yet it'll be more you (if that makes any sense).

The black nose doesn't look good, and I'd stay away from black wheels. It looks like that wasn't your idea, am I right?

25. Member this is my new username's Avatar
      Vehicles
      99 passat wagon 1.8t
      04-30-2012 03:11 PM #25
      When you look at your car, do you like what you see? If so keep going in the direction you're going. Fell free to go see other peoples cars and gt ideas. But remember this is your car. Build it so it pleases you. Trends come and go. Your individual styl may even change over the years. But won't you be happier building and rebuilding the car of your dreams?

26. Member
      Vehicles
      04-30-2012 11:09 PM #26
      I for one like black wheels. Deep pink pinstripe on the outer lip would look good. FOR GOD SAKE LOWER THAT THING!!
      Whatever you did to the front end..... lose it seriously. If its your hunsbands idea and you didnt really want it slap him and tear it off. I wish i had photoshop as I could make some ideas up i think you would like.