Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 01M Flare and bang into 3rd

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      1999.5/VW/Golf
      04-24-2012 05:53 AM #1
      Hi All,

I am a newbie so I hope I am not repeating a previous post. I have done much reading but am still unsure how to proceed so please bear with me.

I own a VW Golf MK4 1.8-20V 1999.5 which I bought about a year ago so I do not have the car's history.

There is a delay when changing from gear 2 to 3, the revs flare and then gear 3 engages with a not so slight thunk. Sometimes (usually when cold) it sounds like it does not want to engage 3rd and I have to either ease up on the gas or give it more gas to get gear 3 in. At higher acceleration, gear 3 engages with a noticeable delay but without the thunk (makes me want to race all the time).

I have had it scanned for codes and got a few unrelated codes such as airbag, air-mixture ratio and abs which I have since cleared. I have also had a damaged transmission wiring harness which put me in limp-mode but I have since repaired that. Scans now come up clean

I have had the ATF fluid changed and the pan dropped and there was not much residue. However, I cannot tell if the previous owner had already done the same.

Has anyone resolved this (especially the thunking) with either a solenoid change or valve body rebuild? Or am I looking at a new trans?

Thanks.

2. n00b
      Vehicles
      2005 Jetta GLI
      04-26-2012 08:16 PM #2
      I currently have a 2005 jetta gli with the 5sp tiptronic and the same exact issue.

I recently changed the fluid and filter as well and its not as bad as it was(might be my imagination), but still when shifting from 2nd to 3rd it hesitates and then will jerk when 3rd engages unless i shift up from 2nd and then let off the gas and wait until the rpms go down then if I slowly press on the gas again it will shift smoothly but is obviously an issue.

The check engine light is not on either. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no professional mechanic, but i would assume a scan would be clean if the light isn't even coming on. I had the problem with the N92 solenoid already that kept me stuck in 1st gear when cold before it would shift, but the CEL was on then so I had it scanned, swapped the solenoid, and it was fine.

I unfortunatly don't have a solution for the current problem yet but I would really appreciate one as well since it's quite annoying.

3. n00b
      Vehicles
      2005 Jetta GLI
      04-26-2012 08:24 PM #3
      sorry but being so wrapped up in the issue i failed to notice post was for 01m not 09a transmission but my problem is very similar

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      1999.5/VW/Golf
      05-01-2012 09:47 AM #4
      Hi Jboxjbox,

Thanks for adding to the thread. Yes exact same problem.

From what I gather 09A and 01M are in the same family and quite similar hence a solution in one may work in the other.

Please let me know if you get a fix for this.

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      05-05-2012 06:46 AM #5
      Note: 2-3 flare is defined as a unusual, unexpected increase in rpm as the 2-3 shift happens, meaning the 2nd components(B2) release, and there is a slight delay before the 3rd componant (k3) come on allowing the rpms to go "out of control" for a brief moment.

If you have a 2-3 flare, then you need to know that a solenoid can stick and make the 2-3 flare happen. Problem is... every one that I've done here, the flare has continued even after replacing the solenoid but, in every one of those instances the car has driven for significant amount of time with the flare, and when I took the trans apart there was burnt clutches. My theory is the solenoid sticks causing the flare and eventually the flare burns the clutches. So, the flare continues even after the solenoid is replaced. So if the flare is caught early then it likely could fix the problem. I've told this same story to dozens of folks with 2-3 flare and several of them have tried a solenoid, most with no success. Just last week the first one has reported back that it was fixed! In the instances where the solenoid has not fixed 2-3 flare I would assume they had burnt clutches, requiring trans replacment.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta VR6 12v 2000 Ford F250 Diesel 4x4 2007 Ford Focus 1982 Ford F250 1956 Willys
      05-05-2012 12:14 PM #6

Is it possible the damaged harness "repair" is causing additional resistance for the solenoid?

7. n00b
      Vehicles
      1999.5/VW/Golf
      05-08-2012 02:41 AM #7
      Thanks CoolAirVw for a really insightful post. I was thinking of changing the solenoid (by the way would that be N92?) and if that didn't work then maybe a valve body but now I know these will probably not work.

The flare has been on at least a year since it had it when I bought the car. Likelihood is burnt clutches. I may try the solenoid just because it is a cheap option but if that fails it looks like I am going down the trans route. Oh well ... live and learn.

8. n00b
      Vehicles
      1999.5/VW/Golf
      05-08-2012 02:18 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Stangrcr1 View Post

Is it possible the damaged harness "repair" is causing additional resistance for the solenoid?
      Sorry I may have used the wrong words here. By repair I meant replaced. And this issue persisted after the replacement of the harness. It took care of the limp mode though.

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      05-09-2012 04:37 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by chrisvwn View Post
      The flare has been on at least a year since it had it when I bought the car. Likelihood is burnt clutches. I may try the solenoid just because it is a cheap option but if that fails it looks like I am going down the trans route. Oh well ... live and learn.
      Its your call, but I wouldn't waste the time and money trying the solenoid.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

10. n00b
      Vehicles
      1999.5/VW/Golf
      05-17-2012 03:19 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by CoolAirVw View Post
      Note: 2-3 flare is defined as a unusual, unexpected increase in rpm as the 2-3 shift happens, meaning the 2nd components(B2) release, and there is a slight delay before the 3rd componant (k3) come on allowing the rpms to go "out of control" for a brief moment.
      Hi CoolAirVW. I may be clutching at straws but I revisited this thread when it hit me that maybe flare is not what I have. Using your description of flare being a brief moment when rpms go out of control, I realize I may have misrepresented the problem.

Please check out this short video showing my dashboard as the car changes up through the gears. I started recording when in 2nd gear and I've only just thought I should have done it from standstill. Anyway, if this is not clear enough I will redo the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqTGYrzn_Jc

Is this here flare? Thanks.