Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Replaced PCV last ngiht

1. 04-24-2012 07:46 AM #1
      Hi all: Wanted to report back on my PCV issue and the fix. To recap, about two weeks ago my 08 Jetta with APR stage 1 began to spew oil out of the oil cap. A few searched latter and I discovered this is a common symptom of a failed PCV.

I wanted to remain mostly stock so I ordered the PCV update kit from ECS Tuning for $126. The kit comes with a new PCV assembly and gasket and a second tube and check valve (with gasket and hose clamp) for the rear PCV outlet. I also changed out the CAM follower.

The front PCV installation was straight forward and took all of five minutes to install. The hardest part of this operation was getting the second hose off of the assembly as it attaches at four points. The read tube and gasket took a lot longer. Have a cool engine would have helped out a bunch, but I was under a time crunch. The read part took about 30 minutes.

Once I was done it was time to start her up. WOW, I could not believe how smooth the engine idled right off. I am not making this **** up, the engine idled like butter. I then went for a ride to pick up some engine cleaner (remember there is oil all over the engine) and could not believe how quiet the engine had become. I don't remember the engine being load, but as God as my witness, the engine was quieter. Lastly, on my way home via back roads, I did a few pulls from 10 to 100 mph. STRONG.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta Tdi, 2007 Jetta 2.5, 1985 gti 20v swap
      04-26-2012 07:39 PM #2
      how many miles are on your car? I ask because there is a recall/service extension on the 2.0t fsi pcv valve and rear pcv outlet/turbo pipe with updated checke valves. Also there is a warranty extension on the HPFP, cam follower, and intake camshaft in event of a failure. Which covers your car up to 100k. If these extensions are open on your car all the parts and labor would have been free at a dealership...?
      2012 Jetta Tdi
      H&R sport springs
      15% tint
      VW Technician
      VAGCOM equipped, willing to help with it if in pacific NW area. Hit me up.

Vehicles
      Charger R/T|Fixie|Light Rail
      04-26-2012 10:00 PM #3
      yeah, the dealer did mine for free.
      Phoenix DMZ
      The Ghetto
      New South | Neuspeed | ECS | Optima

Vehicles
      2007 VW GTI (sold), 2007 Lexus IS250
      04-28-2012 12:10 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by azunderg View Post
      yeah, the dealer did mine for free.
      That's what I tried to say.
      Need VAG-COM work in CNY? PM me!

OEM+

5. 04-30-2012 07:44 PM #5
      Thanks for the replies. I was not aware of the PCV hidden recall (service campaign) until it was already on the car.

I disassembled the old PCV the other day. I was expecting to find a torn diaphragm or obvious sign of failure, but did not. The diaphragm was is good condition and the two check values (one in the front unit, one in the back) seems to work fine when I blew into them. Not sure what was wrong, but the replacement cured the issue.

As for the CAM follower, I know there is a extended warrantee on it. But I ask you, would you prefer to to a relatively simple pro-active replacement or wait until your top end is toast? this is my second follower replacement and both old units looked good.

Vehicles
      2007 VW GTI (sold), 2007 Lexus IS250
      04-30-2012 11:29 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by cmosentine View Post
      Thanks for the replies. I was not aware of the PCV hidden recall (service campaign) until it was already on the car.

I disassembled the old PCV the other day. I was expecting to find a torn diaphragm or obvious sign of failure, but did not. The diaphragm was is good condition and the two check values (one in the front unit, one in the back) seems to work fine when I blew into them. Not sure what was wrong, but the replacement cured the issue.

As for the CAM follower, I know there is a extended warrantee on it. But I ask you, would you prefer to to a relatively simple pro-active replacement or wait until your top end is toast? this is my second follower replacement and both old units looked good.
      FWIW, I'm pretty sure VW will reimburse you for the parts you bought related to the PCV. You should've gotten a letter in the mail explaining the recall. Attached should be a reimbursement claim form, from what I remember. Just copy your receipts and they should mail you a check.

See bottom:

Need VAG-COM work in CNY? PM me!

OEM+

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta Tdi, 2007 Jetta 2.5, 1985 gti 20v swap
      05-01-2012 12:36 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by cmosentine View Post

You should be able to get re-embursed for the "hidden recall" parts you bought like some one said. As far as the extended warranty of the cam follower issue, in an event of a failure, you will get your follower, hpfp, and intake camshaft replaced if necessary. The new intake cam is an updated part with improved hardening of the lobe that runs high pressure fuel pump. In an event of a failure your top end is not "toast" most of the time it sets a low fuel pressure fault and/or may have a runability issue. So by getting updated parts you shouldnt have to do "pro-active replacements" of the cam follower. Just sayin. Hopefully that doesnt happen.
      2012 Jetta Tdi
      H&R sport springs
      15% tint
      VW Technician
      VAGCOM equipped, willing to help with it if in pacific NW area. Hit me up.

05-02-2012 12:56 PM #8
      They will re-emburse. I got my check for 139 the other day for the PCV and breather tube. I got a recall in the mail and used the form provided. Don't expect to get it back quick though. I submitted it and then got a call from VWoA several months later, then got the check in the mail a couple weeks later.

9. Banner Advertiser ECS Tuning's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Modified ones
      05-02-2012 04:02 PM #9
      Thanks for the order! Very common problem on the FSI - when stage 1 and up it will be more prone to failure. You also can upgrade to a catch can too -

Link To All

http://www.ecstuning.com
      :: Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:00AM - 11:00PM EST Saturday 10:00AM - 7:00PM EST :: Email: sales@ecstuning.com & customerservice@ecstuning.com :: Facebook :: YouTube :: Live Chat :: Instagram

10. 05-04-2012 02:09 AM #10
      I have a catch can installed in my car. Would this fix alleviate the problems with earlier versions of the PCV? Reason I ask is trying to keep my car as stock as possible and I can get this done at the dealer for free to replace my catch can.

Thanks