VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Goodbye, my Mk5 GTI :(

7K views 39 replies 36 participants last post by  Son 
#1 ·
After 3 years of smile-inducing miles with my little 2-door thorough-bred Wolfsburg pocket-rocket, its time to part ways and say goodbye to the my beloved candy white Golf GTI. Just like the Jetta before her, it is one car which I will never forget.

Its when you find yourself strangely talking to your car on the last drive, down that long twisty back road on the last night she's in your hands, that you realize it is more than a marriage beyond man and machine. The feel of the shifter, the weight of the clutch, the feel of the bolsters on your back, the gentle subdue of the engine's harmonics... its all become second nature. She's the car that you've infatuated over since you were a teen, finally in your driveway 4 years later, and that you're still madly in love with like the first day you touched her.
Its been good to me. "You've been good to me". I caught myself whispering that to her the last few days. Strange, I know, talking to an inanimate machine which will never whisper back save the hum and whistle of the engine. The way she surges forward with the swift kick of the accelerator is like angels pushing. There's no other way of putting it. The seats, the room in the cabin, the smell of the soft touch dash and the leather wrap shift boot, its the perfect symphony that entice the heartbeat and welcomes you with every drive.
She's never failed me, ever. From those daily commutes to the North Shore and short hops through town running errands all day; to those winding roads up the Coq that go from summer sun to winter blizzards in an instant, where I can die and go to heaven driving forever. Those summer days detailing every line, every accent, every detail, and those cool autumn nights preparing her for the winter ahead. She has taken me to places I will never trust another car to go. Like Clarkson has said before, its everything you can ever want from a car. You can take it to the beach or hit the slopes with all your gear, and show up at the hotel the same night, where the concierge will open the door for you. Its the every-car.
Like a dream, I will need to wake up and live the reality of my life now. But the fever of DAS AUTO which has beleaguered me for the last 3 years must now be broken. Like the many things I have said goodbye to, I must let this go. But I know, no matter what I drive now, will never serenade my soul, the way she has…

Rock on my fellow MK5'ers

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#10 ·

I feel the same way but with my urS6. Its the comfort of knowing every inch of that car and being so in tune with it. I always crack a smile when I see it in the parking lot knowing I get to drive it. I was not able to sell mine and I still have it today as a garage queen.

#12 ·
Believe it or not, this feeling is why I still have my MkIV GTI parked in my shop. I bought a low-miles Outback XT a couple weeks ago that I really like, but it will never replace the feelings I have toward that 190k mile little green hatch. I plan on slowly fixing all the little issue she has, then who knows? Semi-track/weekend car?

I simply couldn't bring myself to sell it.:screwy:

#15 ·
#14 ·
The A3 replaced a 2-door Rabbit..... still miss that car two and a half years later. It's obviously not as "good" in almost any objective measure, but it was such a fun car to drive and to do long trips in. I think for me it's a good reminder that being better on paper doesn't tell the whole story about how much you'll like something.

Sometimes even it's the tiny little details that I miss the most, like the VW logo hatch release. Old news to us all, but still, :thumbup: to that.

And yeah, the A3 is going to be very hard for me to give up too.

#20 ·
Why not just park the MKV in the garage and drive the company car while you maintain/play with the GTI?

#22 ·

I sold my GTI last fall and felt the same way. Luckily I replaced it with something better. It is always hard to let go of a car you love though. I teared up when I was driving my first car to the dealership to trade it in. :( You just have to make sure what you are replacing with will make you forget about the old car.

#24 ·
I sold my MK5 4-door a couple of years ago to buy my 135i.

Though i love the 135i, there is still so much I miss about my MK5. The MK5/MK6 GTI really is a pinnacle of economical/practical/sportyness. I think 25 years from now it will be a "classic" much the way the MKII 16v is currently a "classic" to a select set of car enthusiasts.

#30 ·
saw a family friend a few years back that had a picture in his wallet, not of his children or family members, but of his two matching Camaro's. a 1969 and a 2010...both with inverse stripes/colors. one was silver/black stripes, one was black/silver stripes...coolest looking garage i've seen in awhile. i'll see if i can dig the photo up somewhere...

#28 ·
I feel for you, I did the same thing almost two years ago, I had a 2007 GTI 2 door. My wife wanted a JSW for the family hauler, we got one, but it proved too small. So out went my GTI and in came a Routan. I'm DD the JSW now, it's at least a manual so it's decently fun to drive. I still miss my MKV GTI though, I keep looking through the used cars, but I know deep down it's probably not worth trading in the JSW for one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.