VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Goodbye, my Mk5 GTI :(

7K views 39 replies 36 participants last post by  Son 
#1 ·
After 3 years of smile-inducing miles with my little 2-door thorough-bred Wolfsburg pocket-rocket, its time to part ways and say goodbye to the my beloved candy white Golf GTI. Just like the Jetta before her, it is one car which I will never forget.

Its when you find yourself strangely talking to your car on the last drive, down that long twisty back road on the last night she's in your hands, that you realize it is more than a marriage beyond man and machine. The feel of the shifter, the weight of the clutch, the feel of the bolsters on your back, the gentle subdue of the engine's harmonics... its all become second nature. She's the car that you've infatuated over since you were a teen, finally in your driveway 4 years later, and that you're still madly in love with like the first day you touched her.
Its been good to me. "You've been good to me". I caught myself whispering that to her the last few days. Strange, I know, talking to an inanimate machine which will never whisper back save the hum and whistle of the engine. The way she surges forward with the swift kick of the accelerator is like angels pushing. There's no other way of putting it. The seats, the room in the cabin, the smell of the soft touch dash and the leather wrap shift boot, its the perfect symphony that entice the heartbeat and welcomes you with every drive.
She's never failed me, ever. From those daily commutes to the North Shore and short hops through town running errands all day; to those winding roads up the Coq that go from summer sun to winter blizzards in an instant, where I can die and go to heaven driving forever. Those summer days detailing every line, every accent, every detail, and those cool autumn nights preparing her for the winter ahead. She has taken me to places I will never trust another car to go. Like Clarkson has said before, its everything you can ever want from a car. You can take it to the beach or hit the slopes with all your gear, and show up at the hotel the same night, where the concierge will open the door for you. Its the every-car.
Like a dream, I will need to wake up and live the reality of my life now. But the fever of DAS AUTO which has beleaguered me for the last 3 years must now be broken. Like the many things I have said goodbye to, I must let this go. But I know, no matter what I drive now, will never serenade my soul, the way she has…

Rock on my fellow MK5'ers

See less See more
#29 ·
I think this thread illustrates very well how VW was able to recreate the bond between man and machine with the MKV/MKVI that was pretty absent in the MKIII and MKIV generations.

I have owed 3 VWs (MK3, MK4, and MK5), and the ONLY car that I miss is the MK5.

If German cars can have a soul :)rolleyes:), then I think the MK5 managed to have one. It's a car that I miss, and I miss the good times I had with it.

#31 ·
I saw my old Miata last Saturday.

Pulled up next to an older guy that said he bought it at auction. I guess the used car lot had problems selling a 12 year old Miata. We talked for a minute at the light, said he hadn't had any problems yet, I said he probably wouldn't, I went through it shorty before i sold it. New radiator/brakes/hoses/filters, etc.

Like seeing and old friend. :heart: It's good to know the guy is local and drives on the main streets so I can maybe see him around town.

#34 ·
I really liked my mkV GTi and have some fond memories of it. I was definitely a bit sad when I got rid of the car, but I've since gotten over it. While I liked the GTI and would recommend it to someone like myself, I certainly don't wish I still had it. Onward and upward for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.