Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Adding Speaker Connections in middle of a floor

Vehicles
      MK1 Rabbit ABA, MK4 JTi 1.8T, T4 Eurovan V6, MK6 Golf TDI (Owned MK1 Caddy, MK2 Jetta & B5.5 Passat)
      04-24-2012 11:49 AM #1
      Does anyone have recommendations on a surround sound speaker connection plate to use?

Something clean, for when I move out, the bare wood floor doesn't look ridiculous?

I currently have carpet and the wires are just sticking out from underneath the coach.

But we are installing wood floors this weekend, so wanted to make it more permanent and have a much cleaner install.

Please point me in the right direction, I am having trouble searching for the right results.

Thanks!
      Bernie
      Bernie M Chacon III
      dub-Nation.com ~ for the love of the veedub.

For sale/want to trade parts?Follow Me on FacebookOktoberfest Event & #OccupyBigBear - October 3-5 ‖ #ProjektMK6 ‖ #ProjektT4 ‖ #ProjektMK1

2. 04-26-2012 08:16 PM #2
      You want a terminal in the middle of a wood floor that doesn't look ridiculous? To me, holes in the floor will look ridiculous no matter what you do. Maybe someone can prove me wrong.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 Caliber SRT4, 1989 Mazda B2200, 2010 RAV4
      04-29-2012 01:52 AM #3
      I did this, and to be honest I didn't feel like it was worth the trouble.

My speakers are on spikes, so I positioned the plates so they would be underneath the speaker and covered up. I used 5-way binding post plates that I found at Lowe's.

But like I said, once I was done I didn't feel like it was worth it. I would've been just as well drilling a small hole in the floor and simply running the wire through that all the way to the speaker.

Vehicles
      2002 GTI 1.8T
      05-28-2012 02:14 AM #4
      here is one of them: http://hubbell-wiring.com/Press/PDFS/H5189.pdf

I usually use Extron electronics in industrial and commercial environment. just search for low voltage floor boxes.

5. 06-11-2012 11:59 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by dub-Nation View Post
      Does anyone have recommendations on a surround sound speaker connection plate to use?

Something clean, for when I move out, the bare wood floor doesn't look ridiculous?

I currently have carpet and the wires are just sticking out from underneath the coach.

But we are installing wood floors this weekend, so wanted to make it more permanent and have a much cleaner install.

Please point me in the right direction, I am having trouble searching for the right results.

Thanks!
      Bernie
      Hi Bernie,

Good question. I haven't done this myself, but I did install my own wood floors a few years back. Here is what I would do:

Identify the location where you want the terminals. When installing the floors place a short spot of wood in that area. I would either make it just large enough to accomodate a standard wall plate, or up to one foot in length. For that particular piece, rip the tounge off the board with your (or your contractors) table saw. You will have a board that drops into the spot. Make two copies of the board, one to accomodate the wall plate, and one to replace it in the future.

For that particular board, drill out a section for the speaker terminal wall plate. Setup your wires and face-nail the board to the floor. If/When the time comes, you can pry that board up. Since there is no tounge, it will float in that spot. To pry it up, drive some short screws into the face and use a hammer or pry bar. If you go prefinished, you are good-to-go. If you are having your floors done, have the installers apply some finish to your extra replacement board.

Also, depending on how wide you go, you may have room for a fancy floor plate. If you make enough extra boards, you can experiment with different options, such as recessing the plate using a router. If you don't have access to this equipment, you can take the little board and the desired plate to a wood shop.