Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I can't stand my car anymore....

Vehicles
      '92 Golf 1,8 8v "Pasadena"
      04-25-2012 10:39 AM #36
      Try driving a Toyota for a while...
      Quote Originally Posted by PDXGTI8V 2.0 View Post
      ugh, sorry, i like drivable cars

Vehicles
      1991 GTI 16v
      04-25-2012 01:06 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Project_2501 View Post
      That motor sounds kinda rough imo... what have you done to the block / cylinder head? (Well I mean in terms of maintenance)
      Waterpump is about 4 years old. Alternator was swung down late last year. Oil was changed and has maybe 400 miles on it. Seafoamed as the same time. All the sensors are new.

Quote Originally Posted by bmxguy View Post
      god my rabbit truck with a 16v is/has been doing this too me too. i know how it feels man. my problem is probably nothing like yours but i found with the other problems im having, with the isv disconnected it doesnt fluctuate the idle like yours is doing.
      When I disconnect the ISV, it doesn't change anything. I just swapped the ISV out for another one since I have 12 volts going to it, I thought maybe it wasn't working correctly. Didn't change anything but this one at least vibrates like it should.

Quote Originally Posted by choochoo View Post
      hmmm, yeah I figured you'd have a non-cali car, but what line did you plug then?
      Anyways, I don't think that'll fix your problem.

If your fuel pressure is good, then seems like the timing may be off. Have you tried advancing/retarding it by moving the distributor?

again, just throwing out my amateur 2 cents....
      I did try advancing and retarding the timing. Doesn't change a thing with the idle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmacs View Post
      SEND HER OFF!
      The second vid sounds like someone getting b4nged on a squeeky bed.

Maybe the car has 262 cams you don't know about?

But it all seriousness, don't quit on her. You'll find it. Try retarding the timing a hair.
      The only thing it has as far as cams go is a Euro intake cam.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.OhhhGTI View Post
      My son's car does the exact same thing from time to time....it was pretty bad for a while....changed lots of crap including the isv. The only way to trigger the symptoms on his car is to disconnect the isv when it is running, then re-connecting it does nothing. If you turn the car off and re-start it is fine....

I hate to say that it is probably some crappy ground connection somewhere along the harness...
      Well, all the grounds for the engine harness are on the back of the valve cover. They are all there and all look good. I guess it wouldn't hurt to clean them again. Doing anything with the ISV doesn't change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by rysskii3 View Post
      open the bible (bentley), find the wiring diagrams for your car and start testing for continuity. i spent over 2 weeks messing with the wiring when i was trying to get the car to run, now same crap except with msd
      So you feel like yours is ignition related? I just really don't have the patience to do a pinout on the ECU right now. I have a "new" harness coming tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by xcracer87 View Post
      have you tried another ECU yet?
      Yes. No change. I thought maybe it was the chip in the ECU but the other one I have isn't chipped and didn't change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by L33t A2 View Post
      check your fuses, seriously, sounds like when my 16v that i drove for a year didn't have a good fuse for the isv and all the fine tweaking modules
      They are all good except for the one 30 amp fuse at the top. That is for the radiator fan after-run and well, it blows every time I put a fuse in it. Rad fan doesn't even work.

Quote Originally Posted by rafi 92 View Post
      Knappy that sounds like a vacuum leak, I know you checked it but maybe an intake gasket or so, they can be annoying but do not give up, just walk away and if you need help with the beer consumption , well I like beer , seriously though, good luck, that is not a "yard" material just yet
      I agree it does sound like a vac leak but I honestly cannot find one anywhere. I have sprayed carb cleaner, brake cleaner and starting fluid on everything and nothing changes. Maybe I shall order some new intake gaskets. Doesn't hurt to try.

Quote Originally Posted by antwaln View Post
      Let me just buy that
      Make me an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by 90coopster View Post
      Have you checked and/or replaced all your ground wires? I know it seems minor, but I had an idling issue that drove me nuts for a month, and I fixed/ replaced a lot of what you did, then asked for help on the 'tex-- in the end it was a bad ground wire to the head.
      See above. I will clean them again in a few.

Quote Originally Posted by dacannon2010 View Post
      Try adjusting the air/fuel mixture with a 13 mm Allen wrench?
      Don't give up on it man
      3mm and yes, I have previously but the way the idle is right now makes it a pain to do since the reading bounces like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat_16V View Post
      i got pissed at mine now it has holes in the hood
      HAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by Smiff View Post
      ^ Shotgun much?

OP, second on the grounds and ecu. Having done everything else that you listed, the management was the next thing I thought of. I tend to not suspect the ecu and lean more toward brittle/broken wiring, but give it all the diagnostics to isolate the cause. Don't send that to a yard if you decide to let it go, sell it to someone else or part it. Hate to see a good one waste away in the boneyard.
      I have another harness coming. I have this feeling that the wires to the CTS are ****ed up. Nothing changes when I disconnect it.

Quote Originally Posted by naterkane View Post
      this is exactly what i'm not a fan of cis-motronic (though my audi 5k runs perfectly *knock on wood*)

here are a few of my ideas (some may be far fetched)

• vacuum leak (like everyone else said)
      • dead spot in your air box's potentiometer
      • tweaked hall sender window in dizzy
      • bad signal to ecu, bad signal to coil stage

since you mentioned bumping the harness and a few seconds of decent idle... i'd not only trace the harness for continuity, but also measure resistance. most likely there's an issue with the wires between the fuel distributor and the ecu.

it's a huge pain in the ass, because it's tedious work, but the one thing i've learned is to never trust a harness (even if you've built it yourself).

years and years ago i had an 88 digi car (split year) that didn't match ANY wiring diagrams anywhere, and had some mysterious gremlin that i just couldn't track down for months. i replaced this and that and nothing made any difference.

finally, while at my wit's end, i took a day and rebuilt the entire engine harness, reusing connectors, but rerunning and repining everything, and the gremlins were gone.

EDIT: you can also bring it up to me in brooklyn for a few days and i'll get it sorted for you.
      I'm hoping that the harness I get will narrow things down a bit. Then I will tear that one apart and check it out.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Miata
      04-25-2012 01:12 PM #38
      I would suggest pulling the entire harness from your bay and go wire by wire. Replace and re-pin as needed.

~25 year old copper wiring loses a lot of conductivity due to oxidation. It MAY have started out as oxygen-free copper (kind of doubt it..) but I highly doubt it is now.

Vehicles
      1991 GTI 16v
      04-25-2012 01:14 PM #39
      It will be replaced. Then once I get the new one in there I can hunt through that one. My back can't really handle leaning over the hood for a long time anymore.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Miata
      04-25-2012 01:15 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Knappy View Post
      It will be replaced. Then once I get the new one in there I can hunt through that one. My back can't really handle leaning over the hood for a long time anymore.
      Lyme disease has done the same to me unfortunately.

...Partially why my entire harness is sitting in the ottoman chair in my study room..

Vehicles
      1991 GTI 16v
      04-25-2012 01:20 PM #41
      My doctor just wants to feed me pain pills. I tell him every time that I'd rather deal with the pain than get addicted to a pill AND have pain.

Vehicles
      1986 Golf Syncro, 1996 Passat VR6, 2012 Up!
      04-25-2012 02:21 PM #42
      VR swap. /thread

Sent from my ST15i using Tapatalk 2
      [88Jetta350]
      '86 Golf Syncro -'96 Passat VR6 - '12 Up!
      ***VWSyncro.co.uk - The #1 resource for VW Syncro cars & vans***

8. 04-25-2012 03:18 PM #43
      mr Knappy stumped? say it aint so.

not knocking you just can't believe it. as many people's problem that you have solved over the years. tell me it is you back pain talking.
      Mr Knappy the man give up? no way.
      A Dutty Dub

Vehicles
      1991 GTI 16v
      04-25-2012 03:30 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by 88Jetta350 View Post
      VR swap. /thread

Sent from my ST15i using Tapatalk 2
      Not a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by gtidaddy View Post
      mr Knappy stumped? say it aint so.

not knocking you just can't believe it. as many people's problem that you have solved over the years. tell me it is you back pain talking.
      Mr Knappy the man give up? no way.
      Well I guess that's what happens when you get older, grumpy, and aren't stupid enough to be in the car business anymore.

I took the harness out. Cut most of the covering off around where I tapped it and it ran better. Didn't really see any issues with the wiring. The coil power stage harness was fixed when I installed that harness many years ago. Still all holding together. The DPR wires however are split at the connector. It is still connected and resistance isn't too bad. I have a feeling that this will be the end of it. Unless somebody has a good fuel distributor laying around that they want to sell cheap?

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      04-25-2012 07:00 PM #45
      my son's got this song stuck in my head

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '88 Jetta | '13 135is | '10 Clubman S | '88 Ranger
      04-25-2012 07:32 PM #46
      Take it to a known good shop and let them fix it.
      Dirtbox Radio Drum & Bass
      Ellen the Jetta Reba the Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Jamez View Post
      You might think you'll be fine if you don't do anything wrong but remember : you are not the one deciding what is right or wrong.

Vehicles
      Newest, 92 GTi half-swap plus
      04-25-2012 07:48 PM #47
      to the yard.... just sign the title and I'll drive it over for you.

Bad ground wires inside good-looking insulation?
      I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Vehicles
      Gma's 88 Carat, OG '92 16v,
      04-25-2012 08:13 PM #48
      Scrap it......Then sell me that NOS heckenblend you bought before I had a chance to

14. 04-25-2012 10:41 PM #49
      Have you checked the codes? Like how it tells you in the Bentley?
      I built a small black box with a light and button. Had very similar issues with mine and the code was always the hall effect sensor.
      Don't give up though.

Vehicles
      2011 TRD Tacoma. Fake GLI. MK2 Unicorn
      04-25-2012 11:36 PM #50
      If we cant ask Knappy, who can we ask?
      Crooked Euros - Powered by Pabst and whiskey

FS - 15" BBS Motorsports parts -Message me or search my FS threads

We Do It Big In PA

Vehicles
      Mk1\Mk2
      04-26-2012 12:03 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by steveo27 View Post
      x2 Sad day....

Vehicles
      85 Golf 1.8t, 89 240sx ka-de, 01 ram 1500, 87 s12 200sx
      04-26-2012 12:10 AM #52
      I'm pretty sure by now everything has been asked of Knappy. Maybe that is why he can't stand his car anymore. Maybe by car he means vortex?
      Quote Originally Posted by tektoo2 View Post
      LOL A.D.D. is right! you swap motors like you change clothes...
      1985 Golf GL Domestic Import
      Form = Function

18. n00b
      Vehicles
      1992 VW Jetta
      04-26-2012 02:55 AM #53
      My other sisters old golf did that exact thing. The bearings in the air fuel mixture flapper were sticky and there was some goop on top that was also making it sticky. Dad cleaned it all up and the problem was gone. He always told me if it bounced more than once or did not bounce at all when you picked it up and dropped it, then the car would not idle properly.

I am not sure this would help an old pro like you, but just thought I would say it anyway. Maybe someone did already, but used short form and I missed it.

Good luck!

Katz

Vehicles
      '08 2.5 Jetta,'92 GTI ABA, '03 Jetta Wagon
      04-26-2012 03:14 AM #54
      i got pissed at mine now it has holes in the hood
      Awwww geez. Lookout. This is the next rust/patina trend. Seriously, though, hunt down that gremlin! Unrelated because I'm an oil burner but I fought hell and high water to figure out why my new tach wouldn't register. I tracked it down to a factory wire that looked new. Bulletproof electrical systems these cars have.
      Last edited by iheartbeets; 04-26-2012 at 03:19 AM.

Vehicles
      1991 GTI 16v
      04-26-2012 11:04 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Seax_Smith View Post
      to the yard.... just sign the title and I'll drive it over for you.

Bad ground wires inside good-looking insulation?
      There is only 2 ground wires on a Motronic harness. They are both good.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray Junkie View Post
      Scrap it......Then sell me that NOS heckenblend you bought before I had a chance to
      Calling dibs I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by R411YE DUDE View Post
      Have you checked the codes? Like how it tells you in the Bentley?
      I built a small black box with a light and button. Had very similar issues with mine and the code was always the hall effect sensor.
      Don't give up though.
      I haven't checked the codes since as of right now, I don't have the power wire for that hooked up.

Ask you.

I'm pretty sure by now everything has been asked of Knappy. Maybe that is why he can't stand his car anymore. Maybe by car he means vortex?
      Both.

Quote Originally Posted by Katz123 View Post
      My other sisters old golf did that exact thing. The bearings in the air fuel mixture flapper were sticky and there was some goop on top that was also making it sticky. Dad cleaned it all up and the problem was gone. He always told me if it bounced more than once or did not bounce at all when you picked it up and dropped it, then the car would not idle properly.

I am not sure this would help an old pro like you, but just thought I would say it anyway. Maybe someone did already, but used short form and I missed it.

Good luck!

Katz
      I must admit that my fuel distributor was kind of sticky. I cleaned it up real good and adjusted the height of the plate the other day. Nothing changed. I just bought a new fuel distributor yesterday since whoever drilled the plug out of the adjustment hole ****ed it all up and it is next to impossible to adjust the mixture.

Vehicles
      1991 GTI 16v
      04-26-2012 11:08 AM #56
      This just arrived though.

BIG thanks to Richard (cyclops594) for going out of his way when at the yard to pull the harness, send me photos of ALL the connectors while he was there, boxing it up and getting it here in 2 days from California! All for a GREAT price.

22. 04-26-2012 12:50 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Tucked View Post
      x2 Sad day....
      x3
      A Dutty Dub

Vehicles
      1988 GTI VR6 - 1990 Jetta Wolfsburg 8v - 1963 ghia 1600 - 2005 GMC Sierra Z71
      04-26-2012 01:08 PM #58
      Judging the pic of the snow in the bay... the car has mutual feelings.
      Bags are for groceries.... I My Dub, So does your girl.
      ---WacoDubs---

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      04-26-2012 01:15 PM #59
      BIG thanks to Richard (cyclops594) for going out of his way when at the yard to pull the harness, send me photos of ALL the connectors while he was there, boxing it up and getting it here in 2 days from California! All for a GREAT price.

may the force be with you

Vehicles
      1991 Jetta GLI 16V
      04-26-2012 01:46 PM #60
      Right on Mike, like I mentioned via text, I really hope that harness helps man. Grumpy valvers are a PITA!

Vehicles
      1991 GTI 16v
      04-26-2012 02:13 PM #61
      Wooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

We have a good idle! YES!

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      04-26-2012 02:18 PM #62
      Last edited by choochoo; 04-26-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Vehicles
      '92 Jetta | '69 T3 Squareback
      04-26-2012 02:51 PM #63
      Congrats. So what was it?

Vehicles
      1991 GTI 16v
      04-26-2012 02:55 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by spoon! View Post
      Congrats. So what was it?
      Something with the old wiring harness. My guess would be something with the CTS wires. Not really sure actually.

Vehicles
      '92 Jetta | '69 T3 Squareback
      04-26-2012 02:59 PM #65
      Post some victory pics.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      '88 Jetta | '13 135is | '10 Clubman S | '88 Ranger
      04-26-2012 02:59 PM #66
      Dirtbox Radio Drum & Bass
      Ellen the Jetta Reba the Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Jamez View Post
      You might think you'll be fine if you don't do anything wrong but remember : you are not the one deciding what is right or wrong.

Vehicles
      1997 BMW M3 Coupe, 1989 Jetta GLI 16v, 1972 Honda CB350
      04-26-2012 03:00 PM #67

1989 Jetta GLI 16v, light mods, w/305k+ miles and climbing on the original motor!

Vehicles
      1991 GTI 16v
      04-26-2012 03:00 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by spoon! View Post
      Post some victory pics.
      It's all dirty. It rained the other day and supposed to again today.

Vehicles
      Gma's 88 Carat, OG '92 16v,
      04-26-2012 05:21 PM #69

]
      Damn damn damn, I wanted that Heckblende, erm...I mean....awesome!

Vehicles
      2011 TRD Tacoma. Fake GLI. MK2 Unicorn
      04-26-2012 05:39 PM #70
      Rich ALWAYS comes through

If you wanna be super knit-picky to figure out what it was, go through each wire and test the continuity. I'm (along with everyone else, im sure) curious to see what was the actual issue

Ask you.
      I dont know shit
      Crooked Euros - Powered by Pabst and whiskey

FS - 15" BBS Motorsports parts -Message me or search my FS threads

We Do It Big In PA

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast