View Poll Results: gas or electric weed wacker

Voters
    30. You may not vote on this poll
    • Gas

24 80.00%
    • Electric

6 20.00%
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which do you prefer gas or electric weed wacker?

1. 04-26-2012 12:53 AM #26
      Electric is fine for a small lot, but for 1.5 acres I need a gas model. I have the Stihl combi and it's great but heavy, also I don't like that the head freewheels to a stop unless throttle is applied. I used to be able to cut through a lot of stuff while on idle on the old cheapy craftsman model.

2. Senior Member
      04-26-2012 10:33 AM #27
      Gas here, too.

Just put the blade on it yesterday to knock down some brush in the woods towards the pond. Do electric have the power to handle a blade?

It's just a 4-stroke Ryobi I bought at Home depot in 1995. Still runs great. Pnly replaces the primer bulb and fiel line.

Wish it would crap out because I want to buy the Stihl Kombi posted above.

I thought it was finally going last year and it was just a cracked fuel line letting air in. There went my reason to get the Stihl.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '09 Subaru Outback, '99 Jeep XJ, '71 BMW E9
      04-26-2012 11:43 AM #28
      It's worth noting that not all 2 cycle gas engines are created equally. For instance, my Troy-Built weed wacker is a total PITA to startup. It takes up to 20 pulls to get the thing going. The gravity technique would never work. On the other hand, my Husqvarna blower starts up with 3 pulls.

04-27-2012 08:05 PM #29
      used to have an echo gas trimmer, gas tank cracked, fuel lines went to ****, priming bulb broke.

quoted like 80 bucks in parts, it was getting old so i threw it away and bought a $20 corded timmer lol, makes big power lol. makes your hands numb from vibration.

for a small yard electric is less headache but I love gas

Vehicles
      6 Tap Kegerator
      04-28-2012 01:09 AM #30
      I don't mind mixing gas/oil at all but have you seen the models that came out a year or two ago that use the screw on disposable propane tanks? Seems like a good choice for those who don't like to mix gas/oil and don't want to have an electric.
      I really wish everyone would update their location in their profile!

Someone buy my car already!!

Always looking for free firewood to feed my hungry wood stove!

04-28-2012 01:25 PM #31
      they make 4 stroke ones too

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 Caliber SRT4, 1989 Mazda B2200, 2010 RAV4
      04-29-2012 01:10 AM #32
      I have an Echo and it's an ass kicker.

Vehicles
      Mazda2
      05-01-2012 11:44 AM #33
      Even given the convenience advantage, gas (especially 2-stroke) trimmers/blowers/etc. are just too 'dirty' for me. My old Black & Decker corded electric will do anything I need it to do. Gas power equipment emissions are much worse than car emissions.

http://www.insideline.com/features/e...af-blower.html
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

9. 05-01-2012 01:00 PM #34
      anybody have a blade they reccomend? i'm getting pretty sick of string.

and gas all the way, my cheapo craftsman runs like a champ 6yrs later.

Vehicles
      2015 Lapiz Blue VW Golf R, 2014 Scuba Blue Audi Q5
      05-01-2012 03:28 PM #35
      I've got two acres (about 1.5 of lawn/yard), and my rechargable has more than enough power for anything I try to tackle. I can usually make it through the whole yard on one charge, but if I can't, my Black & Decker comes with tweo batteries, so swapping them takes five seconds.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-N.../dp/B0001Q2EMU

11. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      05-02-2012 12:18 AM #36
      It depends on the type of grass and range. I got both in the shed and if I just need simply grooming than the electric one can get it done.

If I need to cut 3"+ off then I have to use the gas one which is more powerful and cuts thicker grass quicker.

It all depends on how sharp are your blades like many have said. But electric ones are getting better they are just a tad slower and less powerful than gas powered ones.

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      05-05-2012 09:13 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
      Even given the convenience advantage, gas (especially 2-stroke) trimmers/blowers/etc. are just too 'dirty' for me. My old Black & Decker corded electric will do anything I need it to do. Gas power equipment emissions are much worse than car emissions.

http://www.insideline.com/features/e...af-blower.html
      Comparing hand-held gas power equipment w/ no emissions control system at all to modern automobiles isn't really a relative test. Well, I guess it is if you're trying to say that gas power equipment w/ no emissions control system produces higher levels of emissions than a modern vehicle w/ an extremely sophisticated fuel system and emissions control system. Not to mention carb vs. FI is not really fair. Also, how often do you use the items in question? Leaf blower what, maybe 1-2 hours a week, 6-8 months out of the year vs. a vehicle that is probably driven every day of the year.

I'd also like to see some more info on the test
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      That implies she had pants on to begin with. I think we can all agree that pants are not a given.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12