Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Getting into HVAC repair?

04-24-2012 06:14 PM #1
      I have been working in IT for what feels like forever and am thinking of a change. Current position is at a helpdesk for specialized software, I pretty much can't take what I've learned in the past 5 years here with me. It was a good job at first, I had been unemployed for 6 months and it was for a large company that paid a good deal more than my prior job. Previous job was as a jr network admin which I enjoyed more since I wasn't tied to a desk and felt like I was actually accomplishing something everyday.

I'm trying to decide what to go back to school for right now. Either stay in IT but go back to school for programming/DB admin (take a cert course) or look into HVAC repair. I like the idea of no longer being tied to a desk having different jobs everyday, right now I just go through the same miserable thing day in day out.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      04-24-2012 07:37 PM #2
      Doesn't it make more sense to apply for a different job in the same field? HVAC you would be starting at the bottom again but at least you can move around outside in the scorching heat, or freezing snow, or working in the ceilings of an industrial plant that doesn't believe in climate control...or you can work for Chilledman, translating.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

04-25-2012 02:01 AM #3
      having not dealt with much outside of my department, I've forgotten a lot. So no matter what I'd be looking at a decent pay cut and starting over either way. Thats why I'm leaning towards programming, I could more easily build experience doing side jobs from home so that when I leave the pay cut hopefuuly won't be as much.

Hvac came up as I've heard more and more about there being a high demand, and there is a small likelihood of the position being outsourced. My current department is one of the few IT departments that haven't been outsourced.

Vehicles
      a thumper and a diesel wagon...
      04-25-2012 09:34 AM #4
      Consider a career in Building Automation/Controls. A lot of your IT/programming skills will translate well, and you usually get a foot in the door at one of bigger companies like Johnson Controls, Trane, or Siemens. Look into your local community college for HVAC courses, these will teach you the basics of equipment you will be controlling and will make you much more attractive as a potential employee.
      “Supermoto bikes exist so that 40 year old men who know better can act like total a--holes.”

"Crossfit is the meatspin.com of circuit training."

Vehicles
      Platinum Grey GLI on jackstands / 2004 Jetta TDI on CCW's
      05-09-2012 08:58 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by ab8349 View Post
      Consider a career in Building Automation/Controls. A lot of your IT/programming skills will translate well, and you usually get a foot in the door at one of bigger companies like Johnson Controls, Trane, or Siemens. Look into your local community college for HVAC courses, these will teach you the basics of equipment you will be controlling and will make you much more attractive as a potential employee.
      x2 I'm about to graduate with an associates for Energy Management. BAC is definately my next move!

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 09:12 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Markg813 View Post
      x2 I'm about to graduate with an associates for Energy Management. BAC is definately my next move!
      Get Tridium certified + experience and you'll have a ton of opportunities.
      “Supermoto bikes exist so that 40 year old men who know better can act like total a--holes.”

7. 05-12-2012 12:19 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ab8349 View Post
      Also if you get trained in BAC, look into hospitals, I interned in a hospital engineering department and ended up doing a lot with BAC because I was the only one willing to learn it. When I left they were working on trying to find an HVAC tech with BAC experience so they wouldn't have to call Siemens every time they had some minor problem. And the work nvironment in a hospital is much better than a lot of places

Vehicles
      05-12-2012 08:09 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by dtrain88 View Post
      Also if you get trained in BAC, look into hospitals, I interned in a hospital engineering department and ended up doing a lot with BAC because I was the only one willing to learn it. When I left they were working on trying to find an HVAC tech with BAC experience so they wouldn't have to call Siemens every time they had some minor problem. And the work nvironment in a hospital is much better than a lot of places
      That's a really cool thing in this field. You get thrown on a ton of projects with different companies, organizations, etc. And if you work well with them and show them that you know your stuff, many times they will ask you to come on board because they know you know the system, how it works, and they don't want to pay $100+ hour for a service call. Network with everyone, keep learning, and it's pretty unlimited.