Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: FCZ transmission problems looking for expertise please

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2001 volkswagen jetta vr6
      04-25-2012 01:00 PM #1
      i have a 2001 jetta vr6 auto trans code: FCZ
      just recently it started acting up. basically i don't know what the problem is.
      symptoms of my problem:
      when i put it into drive 1st gear doesn't engage.. until the rpm's get to exactly 1000. then it shifts into gear, then once i come to a stop sign or anything to do with stopping it acts like it shifts back into neutral then i have to baby it to 1000 rpms so it doesn't slam into gear and if i go up any kind of incline in 1st gear only it disengages and the rpms rev way up? can anyone tell me what this could be or if some one has had a similar problem,
      i just asked a reputable transmission repair shop and he told me that i would be needing a whole new transmission.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      84 Gti 1.8T, 04 ReFlex SILVER 24V GTi,2000 Ford F550
      04-25-2012 05:11 PM #2
      check trans fluid level first. Probably best to replace fluid and filter

3. n00b
      Vehicles
      05-02-2012 02:57 PM #3
      dealer wants $350.00 to change the fluid, ive been looking to doing it myself my only hic-up is the VAG-COM tool. is it absolutely need to be able to do this by myself???

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta VR6 12v 2000 Ford F250 Diesel 4x4 2007 Ford Focus 1982 Ford F250 1956 Willys
      05-02-2012 10:50 PM #4
      I do not think you need Vag-com to do this, so long as your factory water to tranny cooler is still attached.

Follow the DIY on changing the fluid and when it says to check temp, just make sure the engine is at normal temp 190 or so, and when you touch the tranny pan, it is hot.

While others may say this is wrong, the difference in level would be miniscule, in my opinion.

This is the way I did it.....

On edit: Just realize, running the tranny like this may have already damaged the tranny to the point of needing a rebuild.

Also, your tranny is an 01M. the FCZ refers mostly to what gearsets are in it.
      Last edited by Stangrcr1; 05-02-2012 at 10:56 PM.

5. n00b
      Vehicles
      05-03-2012 01:31 PM #5
      i will just go ahead and do it like you said but im afraid its not going to help i haven't been driving it and once it happened i parked it immediately but i think it will more than likely need to be rebuilt
      thanks for your help sir!

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta VR6 12v 2000 Ford F250 Diesel 4x4 2007 Ford Focus 1982 Ford F250 1956 Willys
      05-03-2012 10:13 PM #6
      Changing the fluid and making sure it is full will at least tell you if that was the problem.

But if you really think it needs rebuild, just dump 1 or 2 quarts of ATF in it and drive it. If it is then ok, do a full fluid/filter change. Running it overfull for a little while is less damaging than running it low.
      Last edited by Stangrcr1; 05-03-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      05-05-2012 07:28 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Stangrcr1 View Post
      Changing the fluid and making sure it is full will at least tell you if that was the problem.

But if you really think it needs rebuild, just dump 1 or 2 quarts of ATF in it and drive it. If it is then ok, do a full fluid/filter change. Running it overfull for a little while is less damaging than running it low.
      This is good advise here. It is common for pressure loss to develop to a clutch and if this is what you got then it might need rebuilt.

Your first step needs to be to make sure it is full. Do not go to the dealer for their expensive service!
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

8. n00b
      Vehicles
      05-16-2012 03:08 PM #8
      i added a quart of fluid to the transmission and now it still shifts hard into first but after it shifts it stays in gear and the rpms dont drop and when im on a hill and stop at a stop sign it doesnt roll backwards, but like i said from park,neutral,or reverse gears into first is still really rough.
      could the fluid level still be low. or is this a whole different problem in its self? or maybe if i change the filter?
      Last edited by D.VR6; 05-16-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Vehicles
      05-17-2012 03:19 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by D.VR6 View Post
      .....could the fluid level still be low. ?
      Check the fluid level, or fill it in the appropriate manner and then you would know this.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

10. n00b
      Vehicles
      06-14-2012 02:31 AM #10
      i replaced the whole entire filter and fluid and made sure it was at the proper level and it is still doing the same thing. I'm at a loss now. my next guess is the transmission control module.
      any other suggestions??? and on a side note when i cleaned out the fluid pan i didn't find any chunks of metal and there were very very very little particles i even took the old filter apart and looked inside it for signs of out of the ordinary wear and tear and i didn't see anything .
      Last edited by D.VR6; 06-14-2012 at 02:35 AM.

Vehicles
      06-14-2012 08:25 AM #11
      Delayed engagement is common, and can be due to pressure loss. Usually I tell folks to live with it until it wont go into gear without 'goosing" the gas and start budgeting for a rebuild. But, seems as though yours is allready to the point where you have to give it gas for it to "bump" into gear.

So I suppose you probably need a trans.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com