Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: two unrelated questions: Euro Wagons have an OEM emergency triangle? and, rear brake rotor replacement..

Vehicles
      '95 e36 m3, '04 e60 530i sport
      04-25-2012 12:42 PM #1
      1) does anyone know if the european version of the wagons have an OEM emergency triangle available? I know the Golfs have a tray that can mount under the rear cargo cover.. but their cover lifts up with the hatch and ours retracts toward the front. It'd be cool to have a clean OEM option for this so I don't have to carry about a big aftermarket unit in one of the storage compartments

2) rear brake rotor replacement.. for some reason I had thought you could pull the rotors off without having to remove the rear caliper carriers. The last time I removed the rear carriers (to upgrade the rear disc size) I wasted a few hours.. ended up trying on another day with a friend's help. We finally got the carriers off after a lot of sweat was exerted.. and then broke a snapon socket when putting them back on. So, for those of you that have done this job on your own.. what tips do you have? I figure I need to get the rear of the car up higher and then use a longer wrench so I can get more force into loosening and then tightening the carrier bolts. They're torqued at 66 ft-lb (89 Nm) plus a quarter turn (90°). We couldn't get them past maybe 45° last time I tried.. and that's when we broke the socket (we actually broke two.....).

so... thoughts?

PNWfahren - Pacific Northwest Regional Car Enthusiast Forum Community
      2009 VW SportWagen TDI sold =-=-= 1995 M3 -=- 2004 530i

2. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      04-27-2012 08:46 AM #2
      There's got to be a factory location for the triangle. I looked where the MK V Jetta sedans mount theirs... under the rear seat cushions. That's not it.

I looked at the VW.de website and downloaded the product brochures. No luck there. I thought I'd see a photo of one mounted up...

In my MK V JSW, I put the triangle in the driver's side compartment in the trunk. There's something like a cut out for the triangle there, but it doesn't snap in like it does in the Golf storage tray.

3. Banner Advertiser Chris@Revo USA's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      04-27-2012 11:56 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by rootrider View Post

They're torqued at 66 ft-lb (89 Nm) plus a quarter turn (90°). We couldn't get them past maybe 45° last time I tried.. and that's when we broke the socket (we actually broke two.....).

so... thoughts?

Which bolts are you torquing that much? That is a 10mm socket in the pic I can't think of anything on the car that requires that much torque and would only be a 10mm socket so what a 6-8mm threaded bolt.

I know it is being a bitch coming off but trying to torque it back down to the specs you have will most likely sheer it off.

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 01:19 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by chris@revotechnik View Post
      Which bolts are you torquing that much? That is a 10mm socket in the pic I can't think of anything on the car that requires that much torque and would only be a 10mm socket so what a 6-8mm threaded bolt.

I know it is being a bitch coming off but trying to torque it back down to the specs you have will most likely sheer it off.
      iirc that was the rear carrier bolts.. per the Bentley Service Manual the correct torque for those is 66 ft-lb plus a quarter turn

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      04-27-2012 08:27 PM #5
      What did you need to do to upgrade the rear disc size? Even though ETKA shows my car taking the larger rear rotors and pads, it has the smaller ones.
      OEM+ Bi-Xenon HIDs | Front & Rear Fogs | Highline CECM | Euroswitch | RNS-510 HW:08 SW:1140 w/ Software VIM | Backup Camera | 9W7 | Dash Cubby | Aspherical Mirrors | GTI Steering Wheel w/ .:R Badge | GTI 6MT Shift Knob | GTI E-Brake Boot | GTI Pedals | GTI 18" Detroits
      Not so OEM+ Koni Coilovers | Gentex Homelink Mirror | Yaesu FTM-350AR

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 09:54 PM #6
      well.. on cars that came with the 260mm rear rotors, all you need to do is pick up the carriers and discs from a mk5 gti or r32 (I think.. it's been a while since I've read up on this stuff, and I can't remember if the r32 rear brakes use the same caliper as the other mk5's. If they do, then an upgraded carrier and rotor is all that's needed. This is the path I'll go on at some point.)

I'm guessing that the later wagons with the 272mm rear rotors can use mk6 gti carriers, since the calipers are (apparently) different? Someone would need to confirm that the 272mm rears use the same rear calipers as the mk6 gti or gli... or something. The point here is that the 272mm rears come with different pads, calipers, carriers, and rotors than than 260mm rears.. which use all mk5 parts.

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 09:55 PM #7
      so no one here has replaced their rear rotors, or removed the rear carriers for any other reason? The bolts are really annoying/difficult to get to, so any thoughts are appreciated.

Vehicles
      Jetta Sportwagen 08
      04-28-2012 04:28 PM #8
      it is a OEM triangle in the trunk on the euro version. I can take a picture of it tomorrow(its 22.30 here now, so its to dark for some pictures)

I can also see if i can find the part number if you want?

Vehicles
      04-29-2012 01:51 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by G3Variant View Post
      it is a OEM triangle in the trunk on the euro version. I can take a picture of it tomorrow(its 22.30 here now, so its to dark for some pictures)

I can also see if i can find the part number if you want?
      that would be highly appreciated! There's very little information about things specific to the mk5/mk6 wagons here..

10. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      04-29-2012 10:58 AM #10
      that would be highly appreciated! There's very little information about things specific to the mk5/mk6 wagons here..

Anything else like first aid kit, fire extinguisher, and tow rope would be helpful, too.

Vehicles
      04-29-2012 12:29 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Outrider6 View Post

Anything else like first aid kit, fire extinguisher, and tow rope would be helpful, too.
      tow rope? fire extinguisher? what big manufacturer includes those in their cars from the factory?
      I imagine that if any country requires something like that.. the installation is done when the car's are imported or when they arrive at the dealer.

And I don't really expect a European to be super aware of what Canadian and US cars have, or don't have, compared to theirs. It's more up to us to figure out what's different and then ask for information from there

Vehicles
      Jetta Sportwagen 08
      04-29-2012 03:56 PM #12
      Here are some pictures:

Is this the same you have in US?

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      04-29-2012 08:05 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by G3Variant View Post
      Is this the same you have in US?
      We don't have one in the US. I'll have to check the trunk to see if I even have the latching system that you have...
      OEM+ Bi-Xenon HIDs | Front & Rear Fogs | Highline CECM | Euroswitch | RNS-510 HW:08 SW:1140 w/ Software VIM | Backup Camera | 9W7 | Dash Cubby | Aspherical Mirrors | GTI Steering Wheel w/ .:R Badge | GTI 6MT Shift Knob | GTI E-Brake Boot | GTI Pedals | GTI 18" Detroits

Vehicles
      04-29-2012 08:34 PM #14
      interesting.. we don't have those straps, but I wonder if we have something for straps to attach to at all? It'd be nice to have a triangle that fit in that storage area..

that part number is apparently the same as what is used for most Audi and VW cars.. so I guess all we need is the straps and attachments that hold it in place

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Triangle/ES5227/
      that looks the same... can probably get it cheaper though
      Last edited by rootrider; 04-29-2012 at 08:40 PM.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      04-29-2012 10:38 PM #15
      tow rope? fire extinguisher? what big manufacturer includes those in their cars from the factory?
      I imagine that if any country requires something like that.. the installation is done when the car's are imported or when they arrive at the dealer.

And I don't really expect a European to be super aware of what Canadian and US cars have, or don't have, compared to theirs. It's more up to us to figure out what's different and then ask for information from there
      Keine wohnen im Deutscheland...

Common options in Germany, at least. Lots of these things make sense. You've got a tow hook. The tow rope kinda goes along with this. Cars don't seem to catch fire as much as they used to, but some still like to have an extinguisher handy. In Germany, you have to have the triangle and a first aid kit. I rather imagine it's the same in Norway.

I wasn't thinking he'd know what we don't have, but rather what the Europeans do have (or are more likely to have).

JC from Douglas VW has the warning triangles and first aid kits for a nice price.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      '10 SportWagen TDI
      04-30-2012 12:47 AM #16
      Do the straps have a part number? Also, do they attach to the sheet metal behind the panel or just to the carpeted panel. We don't even have holes for the straps.

I like the green and red buttons on the panel, how are those attached?

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      04-30-2012 02:08 AM #17
      8D9 860 251 A has been dropped and replaced with 8D9 860 251 B for the triangle.

As far as the boot lining cover, it appears it is not sold without the liner...and they are $300 list.

Try and find those buttons and some hot glue!

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      04-30-2012 02:18 AM #18
      Oh, and as far as the straps go, the part number for the strap for the tool kit is 1C0 867 749 B. I'm sure it could be rigged to hold the triangle in as well...

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 06:45 PM #19
      in searching last night I found part numbers for the mk5 jetta warning triangle straps.. not sure if they're the right length though.

and yeah.. the cover with the 'buttons' would be a complete replacement, and overly expensive from what I've seen.

Vehicles
      05-06-2012 07:46 PM #20
      little bump.. would love to get more information for my two questions

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      05-09-2012 02:33 PM #21
      little bump.. would love to get more information for my two questions
      I asked a VW tech friend...he said to invest in some better sockets...apparently the ones he has are +$30 per socket.

Hope this helps...although I'm sure it doesn't!

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 06:13 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Code3VW View Post
      I asked a VW tech friend...he said to invest in some better sockets...apparently the ones he has are +$30 per socket.

Hope this helps...although I'm sure it doesn't!
      haha.. we busted two snap-on sockets the last time I did this.

I talked to a VW Technician friend last night about this job. He smiled.. and said he bought a $140 Mac Tools flex-head 3' ratcheting breaker bar. And of course, he has the cars up on a lift. There's really no good way to do this job without having the car up high enough to use a large breaker bar. Then he just takes note at how much force he has to use to break the bolts loose and then tightens them back at about the same ("TAF" or "tight as ****", he called it). I wasn't surprised by his response at all.. especially after hearing similar things from other VW techs.

I don't have a breaker bar yet.. guess I'll just do what I can to invest in a decent one that will help me get the job done. With as often as I go through brake bits, it'd suck to have to go to a shop every time I want to change my rear rotors.

With this all said.. I'll definitely be looking into moving up to mk5 R32 rear brakes at some point now. I didn't think the rear carriers needed to pulled with every disc replacement. Now that I know they do there's little reason to not buy R32 rotors next time and the corresponding carriers (presuming the rear calipers are the same). I'd mostly do this to have vented rear rotors.. not super happy with the GTI/GLI rears being solid.
      Last edited by rootrider; 05-10-2012 at 06:18 AM.