Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Haldex Oil, Replacement

Vehicles
      1991 GTTI 1.8T Haldex
      04-25-2012 02:38 PM #1
      I was reading over on the hybrid/swap and syncro/haldex forums that a bunch of folks across the pond are running motorcycle oil in the haldex system as it performs in the same wet-clutch environment.

I am not trying to save a few pennies here so don't just tell me to get the OEM fluid I just want other people opinions and experiences.
      CUSTOM TUNING - IMMO DEFEAT - AWD DYNO - FABRICATION - MACHINED/DESIGNED PARTS

http://WWW.BREAKOUTMOTORSPORTS.COM

Vehicles
      Corrado SLC Resto , TT 225Q Race Car , E39 540i, 9-3ss, 2500HD 8.1
      04-25-2012 09:28 PM #2
      I have heard of using the same oil from motorcycle wetclutch setups. The only thing that I see a potential issue will be long term testing. Sure it will work for a while, but are there any changes in lifespan/other component failure. Depending on the viscosity of the oil, it is possible that it does not have the cooling capabilities (too thin) or it could be too thick and cause restriction of flow/cooling issues. Worst case it causes the pumps to burn up prematurely.

This is in the same ball park as what oil to run on supercharged setups. My long term testing 5+ years found that heavier 15-50/20-60 was the ideal oil for a supercharged VR6 or G60. The thinner oil like that used on 1.8T's caused premature bearing failure due to the lack of lubrication on the race surface. It also ran an average 20 deg hotter than the heavier oil.

Best bet might be to send it out and have the stock fluid examined to figure out the viscosity/chemical make up of the oil.
      -Noah

PHENIX ENGINEERING

Quote Originally Posted by ein View Post
      You couldn't dig a hole any faster with a nuke.

3. 04-25-2012 11:34 PM #3
      I've been in the hunt for a fluid I can use in the trans and Haldex.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '02 TTQ (RIP); '06 3.2Q A3
      04-25-2012 11:52 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by DeckManDubs View Post
      Best bet might be to send it out and have the stock fluid examined to figure out the viscosity/chemical make up of the oil.
      Yup! I wouldn't even consider putting different fluids in my (known to be somewhat frail) Haldex system unless I at least knew it was a fairly close match. That said, there's a lot more to lubrication science than just oil weight...
      Jeremy Brehm: Regina Wedding Photographer

'02 Audi TT 225 Build Thread - 2.0L - PTE6262 Daily @ 30PSI - 10.0:1CR - AEB @ 9000RPM - Maestro - RIP
      '06 3.2Q A3