Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: FS: 1990 Merceded Benz 300TE w124 chassis wagon, AZ car in NJ; lowered/ staggered wheels

Vehicles
      multiple miatae
      04-25-2012 01:43 PM #1

I'll update this ad later tonight when I get some time to make a list of the details.

-Car is from AZ
      -Shipped to NJ 3 years ago.
      -straight 6/ auto/ 200k miles
      -lowered on staggered C class wheels/ H&R springs / bilstein/ R126(?) upper strut mounts
      -SLS system has been completely rebuilt

For now, here's a bunch of pics:

1990 300TE

$2500 o/bo Would be interested in Miata parts as partial trades (race tires, etc)

*edited - I had mistakenly put Eibach springs, they are H&R*
      Last edited by vortexblue; 05-07-2012 at 06:40 AM.

Vehicles
      '08 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      04-26-2012 12:44 PM #2

Interesting...

Repainted?
      2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5 [current]
      1995 VW Jetta GLX VR6 [07.2003 - 03.2012]

Vehicles
      multiple miatae
      04-26-2012 12:48 PM #3
      Lol, I kept those pics in there for fun. TCL had a blast with these...

Someone (a well wishing buddhist?) tagged the car with rattle cans- It was removed and buffed the same day - you cannot see any trace of the spraypaint. The spray paint never had a chance to harden.

In fact, the pic I posted on top is the pic I took later that same day after I buffed it out. (note the shadows and file name)

The paint is original and in very good shape. Last Summer, we hit it with the orbital buffer and it looked stunning. Right now, it's been outside all winter and could use a wash/ detail.
      Last edited by vortexblue; 04-26-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Vehicles
      2 1993 Corrado VR6s, 06 Tacoma, 05 Highlander, 2 93 Civic HBs
      05-05-2012 07:04 PM #4

Very interested....
      Last edited by vwguin; 05-05-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Vehicles
      2 1993 Corrado VR6s, 06 Tacoma, 05 Highlander, 2 93 Civic HBs
      05-06-2012 10:22 AM #5
      Pics of underside??

Vehicles
      multiple miatae
      05-06-2012 11:36 PM #6
      some people have IM'd me. Here's some info:

I have a ton of records from the previous owner. It was dealer maintained.
      I bought it after they gave it to their grandson. He cut the springs - I've since taken care of his sins. The records I have collected from my ownership are receipts for parts.

The AC system (r12) was awesome until last fall. It suddenly stopped working. I had the system checked for leaks- they found a small leak at the o-ring for the top of the drier, so I had them evacuate the system. I replaced the drier, all the o-rings and the switch that sits right next to the dryer. I haven't had it filled yet (it was fall - didn't need it right away), but from what I understand, this would be a good time to switch to R134 if you wanted. I had planned on keeping it R12, but haven't looked much into its availability.

-The car has had it suspension completely gone over - new rear spheres and lines, new huge/expensive hose that goes from the pump under the motor to the back of the car. I completely flushed the system and replaced the filter. The front Shocks are Bilsteins and the upper mounts are raised mounts from a different benz (I forget which model they came from though). The rear control arm bushings were all replaced. Front and rear wheel bearings and balljoints were replaced. The PO's cut springs were replaced with H&R Sport springs - the rear ride height is adjustable.

-Front pads and rotors were done.
      -It's ready for a set of rear pads now. I'll do that.
      -The exhaust back box was replaced (this thing is tremendous and expensive!).
      -It has a trailer hitch, the roof rails cross bars (in my garage), and the hide-away 3rd row seat. I think I used it once. Slide/ tilt roof works nice.
      -The front bumper has a crack - I hit a boot in the middle of the highway. Right, a boot.
      -The driver side rear window is fussy. It stopped working - I bought a new switch... it still didnt work. I took the door panel off and pulled the regulator out - it worked fine. I put it back in the car and it worked fine. Buttoned up the door panel and it stopped working. I think there's a bad connection in the regulator power wire. This happens with both the rear seat switch and the driver switch. It didn't bother me enough to go further on troubleshooting.
      -The center console wood around the shifter was badly cracked due to the hot AZ sun. I chipped off the epoxy - I don't know if it looks any better than before, but it's not sharp anymore. A coat of wood varnish/ sealer might do the trick, but I'd look for a new one.
      -The interior is in nice shape due to the MB Tex material. That stuff wears like nails. Dash is uncracked.
      -I do not think the car has had any paintwork ever. The rear hatch may be suspect, but it would have been very well done - I do not see any overspray. The water just beads differently on the hatch...
      -Last spring, my father bought a really nice polisher and I left the car at his place for about a week for him to buff it out. It looked fantastic. He was impressed on the paint quality on a 20 year old car. It does clean up nicely.
      -The car has only left me stranded once, that was shortly after doing a tune up (cap, rotor, plugs, wires, etc). The center electrode in the cap had burned up! Was it a defective part? I don't know. I put another Bosch cap on it and it's been smooth since.
      -The last time I did the *major* fluids (brake, trans, rear, suspension, coolant) was spring 2010. I typically change them every 2 years, so it's probably due for that soon.
      -The motor has 200k on it - it has been chugging along fine. I dealt with an oil leak at the front of the engine (mid-seal?) 2 years ago. Lifters tick after first cold start, but shut up almost immediately ( 5 seconds or so). This this is not a race car - so it hasn't been treated like one.

The car is in nice shape, it's a smooth, quiet driver. I have a Miata that I race- and because I have so many spares, I bought a daily driver miata. I'm selling the Benz to thin the heard. Usually, when I sell a car, I'll walk around the car and point out all the bad stuff - I am straightforward and want no 'after-sale-drama'.

I still need to go around the car to make a better ad (I was going to list it on Ebay next week for a wider array of w124 lovers), but I'll be available to show the car.
      Last edited by vortexblue; 05-07-2012 at 06:42 AM.

Vehicles
      '08 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      05-07-2012 02:26 PM #7
      Very cool that you were able to get the spray paint completely removed from the paint - had no idea you could do that. I was looking at the other photos in the directory and could resist

Good luck with the sale, I like the car
      2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5 [current]
      1995 VW Jetta GLX VR6 [07.2003 - 03.2012]

Vehicles
      multiple miatae
      05-10-2012 10:21 PM #8
      I'm available to show the car Saturday and Sunday morning even though this will interfere with the F1 race.

Vehicles
      87 Jetta Coupe
      05-18-2012 05:07 PM #9
      Bump!
      junkstyles.com

10. 05-18-2012 05:20 PM #10
      Sold...

Just need to figure out how to get it home (600 miles)