Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Max dizzy advance for 1.6

1. 04-25-2012 03:05 PM #1
      Hey you guys, I know the stock setting for a 1.6 is 3 after top, but what's the max I can go on this motor?

2. 04-25-2012 07:41 PM #2
      Anyone?

3. Member
      Vehicles
      79 Scirocco 82 Rabbit Truck 85 Golf D 87 GTI 97 Passat TDI 03 TT
      04-25-2012 11:08 PM #3
      359 degrees btdc

Vehicles
      '78 CE Antje, '81 S 16v Rommel, 3x other Mk1 Sciroccos. No Kias here...
      04-25-2012 11:27 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by antichristonwheels View Post
      359 degrees btdc
      well played!

To answer the OP's question; it depends... on a lot. Fuel grade, load, temp, how much you like replacing pistons. All are relevant variables.

If you don't have a knock sensor ignition (an older 1.6L won't, that should be '79 or earlier IIRC) set to factory specification.

OTOH it's your car, if you trust your ears advance until it knocks under load; back off a few degrees from that and run with it. Be aware that before you hear any knocking you'll have already beat your rod bearings, damage can happen before you hear it.

There's easier ways to get more power, if that's what you're after. I'd look at a 1.8L hydraulic, and maybe a G-grind cam, better exhaust, stuff like that.
      "By Endurance We Conquer" - Family motto of Sir Ernest Shackleton

5. 04-26-2012 01:14 AM #5
      Fascinating information.

Vehicles
      04-26-2012 10:25 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by type17 View Post
      Fascinating information.

Not sure but I think you're being sarcastic, I was not.

Given the info you provided (1.6L engine), the years involved (for Sciroccos, and you ARE in the Scirocco forum...) are pre- 1980, at least.

I know those cars do not have (stock) knock sensor ignition, so setting ignition timing is setting it for all rpm, load, vacuum, and other variables (as adjusted by the vacuum advance). That means what you set is what you run, and the engine has only limited means to protect itself if you get it wrong.

The only reason to advance timing is to gain power. To put it more accurately, to regain power that is wasted by timing being too retarded. If the engine fires too late, some power is lost. But if it fires too early, the pressure wave hits the piston as it is still coming up to TDC; this is detonation, and can be ID'd by your gasoline engine sounding like a diesel. For a while, then you have holes in your piston crowns. The noise goes away, so does compression.

I said tune by ear, at your own risk. I meant exactly that. Your car, your call; and I told you how to do it. Your risk, clear?

If you don't know what you're doing, or expect a simplistic answer to a complex problem... I recommend setting to spec for now; go do some research and learn enough to understand the variables involved and consequences of being wrong, and decide how much time/ money you're willing to risk on getting right a process that you seem to have little understanding of.

Vehicles
      1975, 1979, 1980
      04-27-2012 01:22 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber View Post
      decide how much money you're willing to risk
      1.6l engine = $25
      Gordy S
      MK1 x 3

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 02:59 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by ydrogs View Post
      1.6l engine = $25
      1.7l solid not much more, 1.8L hydraulic a bit over that, but still doable.

Time/ effort to swap driveline (get an FF transaxle while yer at it): PRICELESS.

Heya, Gordy! +

Vehicles
      84 scirocco,83 Scirocco(parts),76 scirocco"Sabine",85 ledgends turbo scirocco
      04-27-2012 10:32 AM #9
      Is this about a distribator rotor?Fuel distribator dizzy?
      Or should the question have realy said what is the max ignition timming for
      a 1.6?

04-27-2012 06:19 PM #10
      There seems to be an assumption here that ignition timing just short of detonation will produce maximum power.
      Undoubtedly true with a forced induction engine running on pump gas.
      Probably not true on a low compression normally aspirated engine. (1.6L VW four)
      I'd bet you could run 45° WOT advance and it wouldn't ping with 91 octane gas where the engine would probably make max power closer to 30° WOT advance.

Bear in mind that WOT advance is NOT mechanical advance plus vacuum advance. Vacuum advance isn't advanced when there's no manifold vacuum such at WOT.

Personally, I'd disconnect any vacuum advance or retard and with the engine running 3000-3500 RPM set the advance to 30° maybe plus/minus a couple °. Need an adjustable timing light but that shouldn't be hard to find.