Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do we know about the Jeep Commander?

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      04-26-2012 10:20 AM #26
      Sergio Marchionne - CEO of Chrysler-FIAT, no less - had a thought on the matter:

“That car was unfit for human consumption. We sold some. But I don’t know why people bought them.”
      It's bigger. That's it. It sucks gas, it has less cargo room than one would expect, it wallows like a drunken swine, it's got a truly hideous interior, and the third row is pointless. And it has electrical gremlins and the transmission has issues. I'd avoid it, unless you're totally desperate. Get a trailer for the road trips.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      04-26-2012 10:20 AM #27
      I've always liked the Commander. It had that old Cherokee look/style to it before the Liberty went that route. The 6cyl. was a little lethargic but still had the torque and the V8 was the only way I would go if I got one of these.

3rd row seating with Jeep capability was the biggest selling point for those who were looking to upsize from a GC or Liberty for the larger family market. It was a cramped 3rd row but if worked. Also if you love Jeeps and needed extra cargo space, why not.

I guess I'm the minority for TCL but always had a thing for this SUV in the right setup.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 Caliber SRT4, 1989 Mazda B2200, 2010 RAV4
      04-26-2012 10:24 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Sergio Marchionne - CEO of Chrysler-FIAT, no less - had a thought on the matter:

It's bigger. That's it. It sucks gas, it has less cargo room than one would expect, it wallows like a drunken swine, it's got a truly hideous interior, and the third row is pointless. I'd avoid it, unless you're totally desperate. Get a trailer for the road trips.
      LOL. Somehow I'm not surprised that an Italian would consider a big American SUV "unfi" for human consumption". It can't be that bad.

The only reason to do it was size and creature comforts. But if the size isn't there, then it's not worth it. Probably get a trailer or hitch-mounted carrier for now and look to trade in for something bigger when kid #2 comes around.

Vehicles
      BMW E39
      04-26-2012 10:25 AM #29
      I own a dark khaki 2006 2WD 3.7 liter V6. Bought it new and it was the first model out and I have almost 80K miles. For the most part it has been reliable but it has its issues here and there. I regret getting the V6 as its a little weak and only gets 1mpg better than the V8. I am keeping this car forever as the resale value on them are Also its quite a gas guzzler.

04-26-2012 10:27 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      Commander was a total flop for a reason. Sounds like a loosing proposition to me. Trade your car for something older, bigger, uglier, slower, that uses more gas?
      Butler Tires & Wheels
      HRE | Savini | Lexani | Forgiato | BBS | Rotiform | RBP | Niche | TSW | Lorinser | Fuel | Black Rhino | Dub| Foose | US Mags | American Force | Vossen | Rennen | Beyern | Brambus | OZ | Enkei | Cray | Conventry | Michelin | Pirelli | Toyo | Procomp | H&R | Corsa | Borla | Eibach | Hotchkis | Remus | Akrapovič

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      04-26-2012 10:42 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
      LOL. Somehow I'm not surprised that an Italian would consider a big American SUV "unfi" for human consumption". It can't be that bad.
      He was indulging in hyperbole, but I've driven a few and agree with him. They're crap. Given that Chrysler under his direction has cranked out the Grand Cherokee and Durango to thunderous praise, I don't think he has much to apologize for as far as his take on the big American SUV.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      '15 Forester XT; '00 Chevy Express; '89 Sierra K2500
      04-26-2012 10:50 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
      You know, that is not a bad idea. Might have to look into something like it. Thanks!
      If money is an object, try looking for an older and smaller gutted tent trailer.

Vehicles
      '14 Beetle 'Vert
      04-26-2012 10:52 AM #33
      Your aunt hates you. I wonder what you did to piss her off... but whatever you do, as said above, stay away from the Commander, and keep your Rav4.

And try to find out what you did so you can make up for it, this woman really despises you and you need to know why before she stabs you while you sleep in the dark in the back with a rusty pitchfork. You're welcome.

Vehicles
      93 525iT, 91 318iS, 99 CRV
      04-26-2012 10:55 AM #34
      My only experience with one was driving it around the building at the body shop I worked at. I remember looking at the instruments and noticing the average MPG on their current tank of fuel was under 9mpg No thanks.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      91 318is M50 Swapped
      99 Honda CRV

Vehicles
      indeed!
      04-26-2012 11:28 AM #35
      I've got an 07 that I bought uber cheap that was 2 years old.

I haven't had a single problem. It is covered in mud right now, and I have no plans on washing it. It's stock, and will move on level 3 trails here at the local off road park, they usually recommend larger tires, lift, and a locker for those trails.

For a mall crawler, go buy something else, like a rav4.
      MOEW: ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ Zomg Zombies ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(×̯×)۶ ¯\(°_o)/¯
      If you have a problem with anything I do here, feel free to call me on my cell to discuss at anytime: (781)452-2079 LEAPRZ

Vehicles
      12 Ecoboosted Flex, 11 6-speed quad cab Frontier, recently sold02 330i, 09 Flex, 01 Wrangler
      04-26-2012 11:41 AM #36
      The commanders are better vehicles than most people give them credit for but they don't hold their value very well. Check the values and projected values of both vehicles before you trade.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 Caliber SRT4, 1989 Mazda B2200, 2010 RAV4
      04-26-2012 11:44 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by syntrix View Post

For a mall crawler, go buy something else, like a rav4.
      Argh

Vehicles
      RSX Type-S
      04-26-2012 11:59 AM #38
      My friend has one and it's a POS. One of the most uncomfortable cars I've ever sat in. Horrible fit and finish, hard, nasty plastics everywhere.
      PSN: Silviatzero
      "I've got an idea for sweat shops: air conditioning! Problem solved."
      RSX-S

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      04-26-2012 12:12 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      What a tool, he lives in the EU, that has most of the cars we usually drool over and he buys that POS
      Well, the "grass is always greener" phenomenon works both ways across the Atlantic. The little hatchbacks that The Car Lounge's North American contingent drools over are regular everyday cars across the pond. Likewise, something like the Commander is a relatively rare sight in Europe, while you view it as a POS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12