Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Partial ROM

1. Member
      04-25-2012 06:38 PM #1
      So this will likely be aimed more at the power lifting types here, but I have a question on this "fad" I see happening in my new gym. This partial ROM is about the most ridiculous thing I have seen. Mainly on squats and bench is where I see it, but there is a pull and hold technique used on deads. They set the safety bars at a height so they can only go down about 3-4 inches and then load the bar up heavy- this is for squats and bench. With deads, they load it up to a weight that they can get it up to their thighs and then they just stand and hold it for 10 seconds or so and then drop it. I just don't get it because without the range, what are you doing? Also, it can't be to break through a barrier as they barely move the weight but a couple inches.

So what is the deal? Is this place filled with knuckleheads or is there some method to the madness? They are all bigger dudes that obviously have been at this for awhile.

2. 04-25-2012 08:09 PM #2
      I've heard of doing midstop deads before, there is a name for it that I can't remember. The idea is that you do more work at the low end of the deadlift. It never seemed like a good idea to me though.

as for bench, could it be board presses or something similar? that is really popular right now because it works in well with guys who use bench shirts. What I find funny are the guys who DON'T use bench shirts but still do board presses, only because they see the big guys doing them, without stopping to think WHY.

as for squats, I see no benefit in any way to do partial ROM squats. There is another term for starting a squat from the bottom. Supposed to help with the bottom end of the deadlift and explosiveness on the squat. It's definitely not popular though and I forget the name as well.

Vehicles
      '14 RS5; 06 Sierra; 08 Jetta
      04-25-2012 08:27 PM #3
      For a while, when I felt the need for such things, I did Bench from pins set about an inch off my chest and did squats from a hole off pins, but never was I a fan of partial ROM lifts without a dead stop. Are guys just doing half benches and half squats in free form? I really like both the squat and bench variations that I mentioned, but I only ever benefitted from deadlifts in a full ROM with variations of increased tension through the whole range (Bands or chains).

I did get hassled this week on "not curling very much" by a few young whipper-snappers with legs and backs lacking any amount of muscle. The times, they are a changing.

4. Member
      04-25-2012 09:20 PM #4
      No guys, these are seriously just how I tried to explain. Stand in the squat rack and put the safety bars right at about 5-6" below where the bar is racked. Lift off and make sure you bang the bb against the bars so that it makes a nice loud CLANG!! sound each time. Move a bench into the squat rack area and set it so that when you are laying down in a press position with your arms outstretched, you only need to come down 4-5". Almost like lifting off and then putting it right back- over and over.

I thought for sure if it was anything legit that I was missing out on, one of you would have heard about it.

Now I don't feel bad rolling my eyes when I walk past them. I may get jumped, but it is going to be worth it.

5. 04-25-2012 09:22 PM #5
      LOL that does seem silly.

the closest thing I can think of for the bench would be to associate it with rack presses, similar to board presses. but you start at the bottom of the rep. Which is the point, doing partial ROM just for the sake of ego seems silly.

6. Member
      04-25-2012 09:32 PM #6
      but it is so cool to see the bar bend

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      04-26-2012 11:46 AM #7
      Have you seen these people actually do full ROM lifts?
      I'd bet they are just chasing huge numbers, but know they need the safeties up high to actually not kill themselves.

8. 04-26-2012 12:03 PM #8
      sheiko uses 'deadlift to knee' in their program

they're alright, kinda awkward

9. 04-26-2012 12:26 PM #9
      Bros love partial ROM squats. It's like you're squatting 405 for reps without all that hard work.

10. Member
      04-26-2012 01:53 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
      Have you seen these people actually do full ROM lifts?
      I'd bet they are just chasing huge numbers, but know they need the safeties up high to actually not kill themselves.
      Yes, they actually do this in two stations. They take up a rack with the partial ROM set up with say 575 or so and then use another rack for full ROM at say 225?

Vehicles
      2007 GTI, 2005 TSX
      04-26-2012 01:54 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by ::xander:: View Post
      There is another term for starting a squat from the bottom. Supposed to help with the bottom end of the deadlift and explosiveness on the squat. It's definitely not popular though and I forget the name as well.
      We're calling them Anderson squats. They are friggen nasty. Even worse when done for front squats.

By the way, nice deadlift vid. Quads are looking sexy!

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 GTO
      04-26-2012 06:10 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      Yes, they actually do this in two stations. They take up a rack with the partial ROM set up with say 575 or so and then use another rack for full ROM at say 225?
      I think I remember reading that using a really heavy weight once (say like, doing one negative when benching) will mentally prepare you and allow you to activate a lot of muscle fibers when you do realistic weight afterwards.

Sounds plausible, but probably not worth it.

13. 04-29-2012 11:43 PM #13
      This is hilarious. Board press aren't okay for Raw Benchers? LOL. Board press brought my raw bench from 325 to 375 in 5 months. It is tricep work. It works the sticking points and ranges of the bench press. It also allows to overload the bench press and allow the body (cns) adapt to larger amounts of weight. Same thing with in the squat rack (benching). It is an overload zone type bench that is attempting to develop a strong point where there is currently a weak point. Especially using different grip types (close/nuetral/wide) to attack the muscles that are weak even more. It has absolutely nothing to do with "the big dogs" doing it vs. it actually working. You can do rack lockouts from the bottom if you are weak off the chest and they can go all the way to only a 5"-6" range of motion. It really depends where the issue with the press is.

You are only as strong as your weakest link right? why not target it.
      Last edited by autodubbin98; 04-29-2012 at 11:46 PM.

14. 04-30-2012 01:04 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by autodubbin98 View Post
      This is hilarious. Board press aren't okay for Raw Benchers? LOL. Board press brought my raw bench from 325 to 375 in 5 months. It is tricep work. It works the sticking points and ranges of the bench press. It also allows to overload the bench press and allow the body (cns) adapt to larger amounts of weight. Same thing with in the squat rack (benching). It is an overload zone type bench that is attempting to develop a strong point where there is currently a weak point. Especially using different grip types (close/nuetral/wide) to attack the muscles that are weak even more. It has absolutely nothing to do with "the big dogs" doing it vs. it actually working. You can do rack lockouts from the bottom if you are weak off the chest and they can go all the way to only a 5"-6" range of motion. It really depends where the issue with the press is.

You are only as strong as your weakest link right? why not target it.
      While this is my take on partial rom movements as well, it seems more people include them incorrectly than not. Your bench didn't stall because you were training inefficiently, not eating enough, or being inconsistent... it stalled or stopped progressing as rapidly because you had reached a massive f*cking bench for your weight class. They are "advanced" techniques for advanced lifters.