Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Intake thoughts

1. 04-25-2012 06:07 PM #1
      I am wondering what everyones thoughts and opinions on the best intakes are... I drive a 2008 GTI and there are too many bs companies to sort through without knowing how people have liked them and how they run. SO.. what do you think? Which brand works for you?

2. 04-25-2012 10:08 PM #2
      They all are the same in the end. They don't make much power and all have a different sound to them.

If you really don't care just go for the cheapest.

IIRC Neuspeed is one of the cheapest.

CTS has a new option out or coming out. APR's solution is quite clean and keeps the factory air box in tact. I would pick from those three IMO.
      2007 GLI - Built 2.0TFSI DSG w/ 3071R, LSD, BBK, Ultralows - gathering dust
      2010 Touareg TDI - Highline, Sport Pkg, Tech Pkg - SOLD
      2011 Audi S4 - DSG, Premium Package, Sport-Diff, Navi, B&O Sound - FOR SALE
      2013 Range Rover Sport - HSE Luxury - SOLD

Vehicles
      Turbocharged 2004 Civic SI with K20/K24 engine swap, 2006 Audi A3
      04-25-2012 11:04 PM #3
      ive had a few... carbonio, NS, and now the Eurojet CAI.

if all of them, the EJ CAI sounds the best, and feels the best. the NS one sounded like a turkey gobbling when I shifted... and the carbonio didnt do anything...
      2006 Audi A3 | 2.0T | 6MT | APR Stage 2+ | Fully loaded ECU | FK grill | EJ CAI | BSH TBP |EJ DV Reloc. | Eurojet TBE | EuroJet Catch Tank | Cross drilled and Slotted Rotors | EBC "Redstuff" Kevlar | Raceland Coilovers | Forge Side to Side Short Shifter | Forge Front to Back Short Shifter | Devil's Own DVC-30 Methanol injection | BSH RSB | BSH Motor mount Kit | 42 DD Shifter Bushings | HPFP Stage 1 upgrade |

Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0T, 2008 Touareg VR6 (for sale - $15k), 2003 Audi A6 3.0
      04-27-2012 07:22 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by yvrnycracer View Post
      They all are the same in the end. They don't make much power and all have a different sound to them.

If you really don't care just go for the cheapest.

IIRC Neuspeed is one of the cheapest.

CTS has a new option out or coming out. APR's solution is quite clean and keeps the factory air box in tact. I would pick from those three IMO.
      I agree. I have the neuspeed because it was the cheapest and it does what i wanted it to. Makes more noise and got rid of the engine cover. I think I picked it up for like $180 new? It's been a while though.
      2006 Passat 2.0T Tiptronic | Unitronic Stage 2 | DG Springs | Newsouth Boost Gauge | BFI Tranny Insert | Rev D DV | BSH PCV fix | eBay Downpipe w/cat | Autotech Exhaust | DDM HIDs | Bentley Manual | VCDS - Car for sale! $6,000
      [B]2008 Touareg VR6
      2003 Audi A6 3.0

Vehicles
      Charger R/T|Fixie|Light Rail
      04-27-2012 04:29 PM #5
      When i bought my car it had an evom, bought a p-flo and it seemed to cold start better and run better. sold the evom to a friend, which he used to replace his apr intake and said he like the evom better than the one he had...

it's all personal taste.

Phoenix DMZ
      The Ghetto
      New South | Neuspeed | ECS | Optima

04-27-2012 04:33 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by azunderg View Post
      When i bought my car it had an evom, bought a p-flo and it seemed to cold start better and run better. sold the evom to a friend, which he used to replace his apr intake and said he like the evom better than the one he had...

it's all personal taste.

100% agree

had an autotech CAI, sold when i was selling the car... decided to keep... wanted cool turkey gobble noise back... bought K&N Typhoon... same thing...

all have a whistle to them when you accelerate, and all make the DV noises if you like that.

I wanted to get rid of the engine cover since i do my own work. K&N was picked up on sale less than P-Flo or i would have went that option.

7. Banner Advertiser ECS Tuning's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Modified Ones
      05-01-2012 04:31 PM #7
      Do you want to keep or loose the engine cover?

Check out our intake page - Here

If you have any questions please let me know!

Andy

http://www.ecstuning.com
      :: Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:00AM - 11:00PM EST Saturday 10:00AM - 7:00PM EST :: Email: sales@ecstuning.com & customerservice@ecstuning.com :: Facebook :: YouTube :: Live Chat :: Instagram

Vehicles
      06(AUDI)A3
      05-01-2012 05:19 PM #8
      Overall I would have to say the best CAI (in theory) is the one that Volkswagen racing designed...for that motor

http://www.volkswagenracing.co.uk/pa...ake-system-12/

I have one on order... have had an EvoMS intake and currently have the Eurojet intake. the VWR will be my 3rd one
      Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S Thompson
      I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
      My IMDb resume...Sounds I've recorded

Vehicles
      B6 Passat
      05-01-2012 08:32 PM #9
      one quick question guys. I drive a b6 and I would like to keep my engine cover-what would be the best option for me (I would like the noise)
      R135
      └┼┼┤ /B6 exSTATICo

10. 05-02-2012 01:40 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by fastD View Post
      one quick question guys. I drive a b6 and I would like to keep my engine cover-what would be the best option for me (I would like the noise)
      The engine cover is designed to muffle the noise, so the only intake that's designed to use the airbox (carbonio) doesn't do anything anyway because it uses the factory engine cover/airbox.

You can cut the engine cover up to fit around an intake, or you can just get a forge DV spacer to make some noise

Vehicles
      B6 Passat
      05-02-2012 08:59 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by blackvento36 View Post
      The engine cover is designed to muffle the noise, so the only intake that's designed to use the airbox (carbonio) doesn't do anything anyway because it uses the factory engine cover/airbox.

You can cut the engine cover up to fit around an intake, or you can just get a forge DV spacer to make some noise
      thanks for the input. i was going to buy the carbonio. but now im adding another thing to my list lol
      R135
      └┼┼┤ /B6 exSTATICo

12. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      05-03-2012 08:42 AM #12
      Keep in mind, with the Passats, if you have an automatic.... it severly limits your choices due to the transmission cooler.
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er