Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shine rear sway bar broke rear axle?? Help.

1. Member
      Vehicles
      A well rounded stable: Callaway Turbo Scirocco #10, Jaguar XJR, 67 Mustang Fastback, Chevy G35
      04-27-2012 06:58 AM #26
      Well, let's see what Reeves Callaway did to stiffen up that beam.

Simple, he welded a big ass bar to the beam.

04-30-2012 09:37 AM #27
      There are some other ways to stiffen the rear beam without poking holes in it. I replaced the rubber bushings with delerin. This forces the beam to twist about the bushing axes, rather than the middle of the beam section. I also added an autotech/neuspeed style rear bar, and run a GLI front bar (the biggest stock A2 option). Now I am not autocrossing, so I may not have the same perspective as you folks, but I have not found that a rear bar induces "snap" oversteer (though drivers certainly can make that mistake more dramatically with one).

There are some alternate schools of thought that getting good rotation can be done by softening the rear beam bushings - see Mike Ogren's fwd VW racing guide for more info.
      Chris
      2007 GTI 16v, 4 door, 6sp (well really that one is Brandy's)
      2004.5 Passat Wagon 20v, 1.8t, 4mo, 5sp
      A2 Golf & A2 Coupe racers - DIYAutoTune.com

Vehicles
      '87 Scirocco 16V, '12 Golf R
      04-30-2012 05:35 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by chois View Post
      There are some other ways to stiffen the rear beam without poking holes in it. I replaced the rubber bushings with delerin. This forces the beam to twist about the bushing axes, rather than the middle of the beam section. I also added an autotech/neuspeed style rear bar, and run a GLI front bar (the biggest stock A2 option). Now I am not autocrossing, so I may not have the same perspective as you folks, but I have not found that a rear bar induces "snap" oversteer (though drivers certainly can make that mistake more dramatically with one).

There are some alternate schools of thought that getting good rotation can be done by softening the rear beam bushings - see Mike Ogren's fwd VW racing guide for more info.
      How do Delerin bushings differ from poly ones? Where do I find them?

Vehicles
      Tons of broken cars
      04-30-2012 05:45 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug T View Post
      When winning a race is more important that your car's longevity (you drive like Mario Andretti i.e. win or die trying) the Shine bar is good. A race car is NOT a street car. A race car is used on the track only. It does not run that many miles. A race car is rebuilt more than a street car.
      This is true; whether you like the design or not, the SRS bar is not intended for street use. I know many racers that run this bar on rabbits, sciroccos, golf.....and have never had this issue. For me I would never run one on my street car because it's overkill and it does put more stress on the beam. I have toyed with putting a similar type of bar on my '75 but I think I'd rather weld it to the beam and not drill holes.
      Last edited by suki101; 04-30-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Vehicles
      '87 Scirocco 16V, '12 Golf R
      04-30-2012 06:02 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by suki101 View Post
      This is true; whether you like the design or not, the SRS bar is not intended for street use. I know many racers that run this bar on rabbits, sciroccos, golf.....and have never had this issue. For me I would never run one on my street car because it's overkill and it does put more stress on the beam. I have toyed with putting a similar type of bar on my '75 but I think I'd rather weld it to the beam and not drill holes.
      The only problem is they marketed it as part of their "real street" suspension. They should market it as a race only part and warn anyone who wants to use it on a street car that it may damage the axle over time.

I agree that it definitely does work. (For awhile )

04-30-2012 09:27 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by AutoX Matt View Post
      How do Delerin bushings differ from poly ones? Where do I find them?
      It is a stiffer material than poly. I don't know exactly who offers them, but a few racing focused vendors have had them in years past. They should be fairly straightforward to make if you have access to a lathe or a shop with one.
      Chris
      2007 GTI 16v, 4 door, 6sp (well really that one is Brandy's)
      2004.5 Passat Wagon 20v, 1.8t, 4mo, 5sp
      A2 Golf & A2 Coupe racers - DIYAutoTune.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12