Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 51

    Thread: Help me spend my wife's money

    1. Junior Member snakeyes76's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2012
      Location
      Montreal
      Posts
      43
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Rubicon MW3, 2015 Nissan Micra SR 5spd, 2003 GTi AE BMP
      04-29-2012 10:30 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Twopnt016v View Post
      Wasn't trying to nit pic but once you get everything you need you will be more closer to the $700 range to make the set up proper.
      400$-stage 2 boost cooler
      110$-Tbody spacer kit
      55$-Solenoid upgrade
      50-75$-for methanol or equivalent
      20$-inline fuse and wire/connectors etc.
      +shipping....

      TO the OP...Don't worry about any of this gibberish, your wife's set-up does not warrant a water/methanol injection kit.
      no worries... wasn't planning on a w/m kit just yet anyhow. for the setup she wants to run and the actual abuse (or lack thereof) she's gonna give it, she won't need an upgraded intercooler either. she just wants to be able to pass 90% of the cars on the road at that split second she decides to. I, on the other hand, have the fortunate job of keeping the engine free of carbon deposit accumulation .. what a terrible job to have

    2. Junior Member snakeyes76's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2012
      Location
      Montreal
      Posts
      43
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Rubicon MW3, 2015 Nissan Micra SR 5spd, 2003 GTi AE BMP
      04-29-2012 10:40 AM #27
      so far, narrowed it down to eurodyne maestro tune, and 42dd exaust. nice sound, not obnoxiously loud. remus was a close second but for convenience, better off with the former.
      should i go 2.5 or 3" on the downpipe and exaust?

    3. 04-29-2012 11:51 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by snakeyes76 View Post
      so far, narrowed it down to eurodyne maestro tune, and 42dd exaust. nice sound, not obnoxiously loud. remus was a close second but for convenience, better off with the former.
      should i go 2.5 or 3" on the downpipe and exaust?
      This is gonna be up for debate depending on who you talk to but my opinion is 2.5. That way she keeps the low end torque. The torque is what will allow her to pass cars with a light press of the throttle I have ran both sizes and I like 2.5 on the stock turbo.

      APR R1 Diverter Valve > Forge
      Last edited by Twopnt016v; 04-29-2012 at 11:58 AM.

    4. Member iTech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 28th, 2008
      Location
      Here there and every where
      Posts
      1,562
      Vehicles
      Satin Silver Turbo Vespa, Candy White 4 Door Whore
      04-29-2012 04:12 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by 18T_BT View Post
      an apr stg3 isn't a rod killer...while I do agree that he should look into pagparts
      Wanna bet?

      I have pics to prove it.

      www.oeperftuning.com
      Eurodyne Software
      PAG parts turbo kits
      42DD Exhaust systems

    5. Junior Member snakeyes76's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2012
      Location
      Montreal
      Posts
      43
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Rubicon MW3, 2015 Nissan Micra SR 5spd, 2003 GTi AE BMP
      04-29-2012 07:17 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Twopnt016v View Post
      This is gonna be up for debate depending on who you talk to but my opinion is 2.5. That way she keeps the low end torque. The torque is what will allow her to pass cars with a light press of the throttle I have ran both sizes and I like 2.5 on the stock turbo.

      APR R1 Diverter Valve > Forge
      so i read up on it a little and a lot claim that 2.5" for up to 250hp and 3" for +250hp.
      now i have another dilemma. i was on you tube listening to audio clips of exausts and came across a setup similar to what i'm doing with a eurojet tb .. wow! NICE SOUND... any feedback on their exausts?

    6. 04-30-2012 06:28 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by snakeyes76 View Post
      so i read up on it a little and a lot claim that 2.5" for up to 250hp and 3" for +250hp.
      now i have another dilemma. i was on you tube listening to audio clips of exausts and came across a setup similar to what i'm doing with a eurojet tb .. wow! NICE SOUND... any feedback on their exausts?
      I run a 2.5 on a my car with 280hp and 300tq
      IMO the 3" is really for real BIGr turbo cars.
      Eurojet makes good products, I don't know of anyone running the TB.
      42dd is better quality...

    7. Junior Member snakeyes76's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2012
      Location
      Montreal
      Posts
      43
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Rubicon MW3, 2015 Nissan Micra SR 5spd, 2003 GTi AE BMP
      04-30-2012 08:22 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Twopnt016v View Post
      I run a 2.5 on a my car with 280hp and 300tq
      IMO the 3" is really for real BIGr turbo cars.
      Eurojet makes good products, I don't know of anyone running the TB.
      42dd is better quality...
      nice.. understood.. thanks.. 2.5 it is.. just noticed that on eurojets website the TB is still in "production" stage as cannot add to cart... 42dd it is

    8. Member 18T_BT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 15th, 2005
      Location
      Silver Spring, MD
      Posts
      11,136
      Vehicles
      02 1.8T JETTA (SOLD) & 00 TTQ (SOLD) '90 C2 964 (CURRENT)
      04-30-2012 10:39 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by iTech View Post
      Wanna bet?

      I have pics to prove it.
      APR says it on their site, so take it up with them. I don't know what you did, if you ran higher octane on a race program, that's your own doing...You have picts to prove that you bent a rod? Good for you, I guess?

      Quote Originally Posted by APR
      Our goal with Stage III is to provide our customers with a powerful but usable turbo application that will behave as well as the factory unit and not adversely affect longevity.
      http://www.goapr.com/products/beyond_tvs3.html

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2009
      Location
      Queens NYC
      Posts
      607
      04-30-2012 12:17 PM #34
      does your wife have any interest in breast implants? Those are always a good way to spend your money!!!

    10. Member toby lawrence's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2011
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      857
      Vehicles
      ms3 zoom zoom
      04-30-2012 01:31 PM #35
      I'd go with the 3" over the 2.5". Anything you've ever heard about exhaust backpressure and losing torque down low is completey untrue for *turbocharged* cars.

      The 3" is throaty and will give you the most power. I have a 3" system from 42DD with the turn down tip and I love the exhaust. My car might only have like 215hp or something but it sounds mean as **** when I'm in 2nd or 3rd with the throttle on the floor. No Honda fart can rattle or raspiness... just delicious sounding.
      science: it's for real.

    11. Member l88m22vette's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 1st, 2006
      Location
      Chicagoland, IL
      Posts
      13,753
      Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L, 2004 A6 3.0
      04-30-2012 01:40 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by 18T_BT View Post
      APR says it on their site, so take it up with them. I don't know what you did, if you ran higher octane on a race program, that's your own doing...You have picts to prove that you bent a rod? Good for you, I guess?
      You seem to be glossing over the fact that he proved APR wrong. Plenty of companies say plenty of things, but an actual bent rod takes precedence over a sales pitch written years ago
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ - Demokratikally Elekted Undersekretary of Peter Panhood of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      Go get some real pizza, like at Costco.
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      Finally, my existence has been validated.

    12. 04-30-2012 01:43 PM #37
      Everyone can have their own opinion, and this subject is up for debate but I don't know if I would go as far as to say it is "untrue". Yes forced induction cars don't need back pressure the way NA cars do but I have personally felt the diffrence. I had a car with 2.5 and when I put 3" I felt a diffrence in the butt dyno. So my experiences come from actually running the two sizes on the same car and I'm not the only one to ever report feeling a diffrence in the two. To each their own, many people go with the 3" and most of those people claim they will be going big turbo one day

    13. Moderator groggory's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 21st, 2003
      Location
      Long Beach, CA
      Posts
      13,143
      Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      04-30-2012 01:45 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      You seem to be glossing over the fact that he proved APR wrong. Plenty of companies say plenty of things, but an actual bent rod takes precedence over a sales pitch written years ago
      But the internet said...
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

      Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

    14. Member babarber's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2nd, 2008
      Location
      Richmond Kentucky
      Posts
      825
      Vehicles
      2001 jetta wolfsburg, 1989 jetta gli
      04-30-2012 02:00 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by groggory View Post
      But the internet said...
      Quote Originally Posted by G3T3I7 View Post
      because race springs
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti View Post
      i love sacks
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      TCL isn't car enthusiasts. It's a forum for 40 year old guys to brag about their 2007 Hyundai Sonata. And to talk meaningless sh*t on anything VW

    15. Member 18T_BT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 15th, 2005
      Location
      Silver Spring, MD
      Posts
      11,136
      Vehicles
      02 1.8T JETTA (SOLD) & 00 TTQ (SOLD) '90 C2 964 (CURRENT)
      04-30-2012 03:03 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      You seem to be glossing over the fact that he proved APR wrong. Plenty of companies say plenty of things, but an actual bent rod takes precedence over a sales pitch written years ago
      We don't know what he proved. Did he use the product as it was intended? If not, then guess what he proved...

    16. Member toby lawrence's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2011
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      857
      Vehicles
      ms3 zoom zoom
      04-30-2012 03:16 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Twopnt016v View Post
      Everyone can have their own opinion, and this subject is up for debate but I don't know if I would go as far as to say it is "untrue". Yes forced induction cars don't need back pressure the way NA cars do but I have personally felt the diffrence. I had a car with 2.5 and when I put 3" I felt a diffrence in the butt dyno. So my experiences come from actually running the two sizes on the same car and I'm not the only one to ever report feeling a diffrence in the two. To each their own, many people go with the 3" and most of those people claim they will be going big turbo one day
      I mean, the science behind pressure ratios and turbines is pretty solidified as is... a bigger exhaust for less backpressure is best for a turbocharged car. If you have done some research and experimentation to contradict the fact that increasing the pressure ratio of the turbine (aka removing backpressure aka running a bigger exhaust) will not result in the turbocharger doing more work (aka cramming more air into your cylinders)... by all means, post it on up.

      Why do people try and substitute heavily biased anecdotal evidence or their "butt dyno" for scientific rigor?
      science: it's for real.

    17. 04-30-2012 03:51 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by tobz@postreleased View Post
      I mean, the science behind pressure ratios and turbines is pretty solidified as is... a bigger exhaust for less backpressure is best for a turbocharged car. If you have done some research and experimentation to contradict the fact that increasing the pressure ratio of the turbine (aka removing backpressure aka running a bigger exhaust) will not result in the turbocharger doing more work (aka cramming more air into your cylinders)... by all means, post it on up.

      Why do people try and substitute heavily biased anecdotal evidence or their "butt dyno" for scientific rigor?
      Going to a 2.5tb will already be removing back pressure. My opinion is 2.5 for stock frame turbo and 3" for BT, I have 3" on my BT car. You can sit here and talk about scientific rigor all you want but until have actually ran both sizes on the same car you can't speak on the difference it makes IMO. You can only speak about your 3" on your car now, not about the 2.5 you had before the 3" and now how much faster your car is after the 3" and how it regained all the low end torque. My experiences or anecdotal evidence as you put it comes from actually running both sizes. Sometimes peoples opinions are what people are looking for, not someone saying "scientifically" the 3" is better. I love how people that are into science always pull the "anecdotal evidence" card and claim peoples experiences hold no weight. Your right, my car didn't feel more torque with the 2.5" and the OP should just go to a local muffler shop and get 4" from the turbo back

    18. Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 25th, 2011
      Location
      Southwestern Ontario
      Posts
      91
      Vehicles
      2002 VW Jetta 1.8t
      04-30-2012 04:13 PM #43
      FFS! Just go 3" in the event you choose to upgrade, if not, oh well. Done.
      02' AWP :: UniStage2+ @25psi--Frankenturbo F4H :: Bosch 440cc :: NGK BKR7E@.028 Gap :: B&B 3" TurboBack :: Boostvalve MBC+N75F Parallel :: Forge007p DV :: VMaxx Coilovers

    19. Member
      Join Date
      May 31st, 2009
      Location
      san antonio tx
      Posts
      246
      Vehicles
      Then: 04 tr vf stg 2 .:R 32 R.I.P. 6/25/10 Now: JB 03 20th AE apr k04
      04-30-2012 04:50 PM #44
      I love my eurojet 3in tb but from what I hear they have slowed down production of it but I got mine from ese tuning back in jan i would hit them up if you want one. My friend had a 42dd on his gli it was louder than my ej and his would blow out fire balls some times. Here is a video of the ej 3in tb here.
      Last edited by hiplazma; 04-30-2012 at 10:44 PM.

    20. Member toby lawrence's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2011
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      857
      Vehicles
      ms3 zoom zoom
      04-30-2012 06:21 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Twopnt016v View Post
      Going to a 2.5tb will already be removing back pressure. My opinion is 2.5 for stock frame turbo and 3" for BT, I have 3" on my BT car. You can sit here and talk about scientific rigor all you want but until have actually ran both sizes on the same car you can't speak on the difference it makes IMO. You can only speak about your 3" on your car now, not about the 2.5 you had before the 3" and now how much faster your car is after the 3" and how it regained all the low end torque. My experiences or anecdotal evidence as you put it comes from actually running both sizes. Sometimes peoples opinions are what people are looking for, not someone saying "scientifically" the 3" is better. I love how people that are into science always pull the "anecdotal evidence" card and claim peoples experiences hold no weight. Your right, my car didn't feel more torque with the 2.5" and the OP should just go to a local muffler shop and get 4" from the turbo back
      Right. An engineer at Garrett is wrong and you're right. Got it.
      science: it's for real.

    21. Junior Member snakeyes76's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2012
      Location
      Montreal
      Posts
      43
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Rubicon MW3, 2015 Nissan Micra SR 5spd, 2003 GTi AE BMP
      04-30-2012 06:36 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by peace2matteo View Post
      does your wife have any interest in breast implants? Those are always a good way to spend your money!!!
      she doesn't need them. but maybe we can buy you some balls

    22. Moderator groggory's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 21st, 2003
      Location
      Long Beach, CA
      Posts
      13,143
      Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      04-30-2012 06:43 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by snakeyes76 View Post
      she doesn't need them. but maybe we can buy you some balls
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

      Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

    23. Junior Member snakeyes76's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2012
      Location
      Montreal
      Posts
      43
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Rubicon MW3, 2015 Nissan Micra SR 5spd, 2003 GTi AE BMP
      04-30-2012 06:51 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Twopnt016v View Post
      Going to a 2.5tb will already be removing back pressure. My opinion is 2.5 for stock frame turbo and 3" for BT, I have 3" on my BT car. You can sit here and talk about scientific rigor all you want but until have actually ran both sizes on the same car you can't speak on the difference it makes IMO. You can only speak about your 3" on your car now, not about the 2.5 you had before the 3" and now how much faster your car is after the 3" and how it regained all the low end torque. My experiences or anecdotal evidence as you put it comes from actually running both sizes. Sometimes peoples opinions are what people are looking for, not someone saying "scientifically" the 3" is better. I love how people that are into science always pull the "anecdotal evidence" card and claim peoples experiences hold no weight. Your right, my car didn't feel more torque with the 2.5" and the OP should just go to a local muffler shop and get 4" from the turbo back
      you guys are killing me .. lol ... but I'm definately listening to everyones "opinions".
      I also read that turbos don't really need the backpressure like N/As do. but since we're looking at keeping it as close to stock as possible, i think the 2.5 is sufficent.
      - Anyone here going to waterfest in NJ this july? - haven't been since 2003

    24. Member babarber's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2nd, 2008
      Location
      Richmond Kentucky
      Posts
      825
      Vehicles
      2001 jetta wolfsburg, 1989 jetta gli
      04-30-2012 07:01 PM #49
      im seriously considering going but its a 12 hour drive gonna be a pain in the ass to leave work at 5 and get to NJ by early saturday and not be half dead
      Quote Originally Posted by G3T3I7 View Post
      because race springs
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti View Post
      i love sacks
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      TCL isn't car enthusiasts. It's a forum for 40 year old guys to brag about their 2007 Hyundai Sonata. And to talk meaningless sh*t on anything VW

    25. Moderator groggory's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 21st, 2003
      Location
      Long Beach, CA
      Posts
      13,143
      Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      04-30-2012 07:03 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by babarber View Post
      im seriously considering going but its a 12 hour drive gonna be a pain in the ass to leave work at 5 and get to NJ by early saturday and not be half dead
      Bring a passenger and drive shifts
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

      Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •