Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me spend my wife's money

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L
      04-30-2012 01:40 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by 18T_BT View Post
      APR says it on their site, so take it up with them. I don't know what you did, if you ran higher octane on a race program, that's your own doing...You have picts to prove that you bent a rod? Good for you, I guess?
      You seem to be glossing over the fact that he proved APR wrong. Plenty of companies say plenty of things, but an actual bent rod takes precedence over a sales pitch written years ago
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ Officially zero Fuchs given.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      Oh hot damn, a diesel wagon with a stickshift. I've always wanted to feel like I was driving a UPS truck everywhere I go.

2. 04-30-2012 01:43 PM #37
      Everyone can have their own opinion, and this subject is up for debate but I don't know if I would go as far as to say it is "untrue". Yes forced induction cars don't need back pressure the way NA cars do but I have personally felt the diffrence. I had a car with 2.5 and when I put 3" I felt a diffrence in the butt dyno. So my experiences come from actually running the two sizes on the same car and I'm not the only one to ever report feeling a diffrence in the two. To each their own, many people go with the 3" and most of those people claim they will be going big turbo one day

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      04-30-2012 01:45 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      You seem to be glossing over the fact that he proved APR wrong. Plenty of companies say plenty of things, but an actual bent rod takes precedence over a sales pitch written years ago
      But the internet said...
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      2001 jetta wolfsburg, 1989 jetta gli
      04-30-2012 02:00 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by groggory View Post
      But the internet said...
      Quote Originally Posted by G3T3I7 View Post
      because race springs
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti View Post
      i love sacks
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      TCL isn't car enthusiasts. It's a forum for 40 year old guys to brag about their 2007 Hyundai Sonata. And to talk meaningless sh*t on anything VW

Vehicles
      2002 1.8T JETTA & 2000 TTQ
      04-30-2012 03:03 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      We don't know what he proved. Did he use the product as it was intended? If not, then guess what he proved...

Vehicles
      ms3 zoom zoom
      04-30-2012 03:16 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Twopnt016v View Post
      Everyone can have their own opinion, and this subject is up for debate but I don't know if I would go as far as to say it is "untrue". Yes forced induction cars don't need back pressure the way NA cars do but I have personally felt the diffrence. I had a car with 2.5 and when I put 3" I felt a diffrence in the butt dyno. So my experiences come from actually running the two sizes on the same car and I'm not the only one to ever report feeling a diffrence in the two. To each their own, many people go with the 3" and most of those people claim they will be going big turbo one day
      I mean, the science behind pressure ratios and turbines is pretty solidified as is... a bigger exhaust for less backpressure is best for a turbocharged car. If you have done some research and experimentation to contradict the fact that increasing the pressure ratio of the turbine (aka removing backpressure aka running a bigger exhaust) will not result in the turbocharger doing more work (aka cramming more air into your cylinders)... by all means, post it on up.

Why do people try and substitute heavily biased anecdotal evidence or their "butt dyno" for scientific rigor?
      science: it's for real.

7. 04-30-2012 03:51 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by tobz@postreleased View Post
      I mean, the science behind pressure ratios and turbines is pretty solidified as is... a bigger exhaust for less backpressure is best for a turbocharged car. If you have done some research and experimentation to contradict the fact that increasing the pressure ratio of the turbine (aka removing backpressure aka running a bigger exhaust) will not result in the turbocharger doing more work (aka cramming more air into your cylinders)... by all means, post it on up.

Why do people try and substitute heavily biased anecdotal evidence or their "butt dyno" for scientific rigor?
      Going to a 2.5tb will already be removing back pressure. My opinion is 2.5 for stock frame turbo and 3" for BT, I have 3" on my BT car. You can sit here and talk about scientific rigor all you want but until have actually ran both sizes on the same car you can't speak on the difference it makes IMO. You can only speak about your 3" on your car now, not about the 2.5 you had before the 3" and now how much faster your car is after the 3" and how it regained all the low end torque. My experiences or anecdotal evidence as you put it comes from actually running both sizes. Sometimes peoples opinions are what people are looking for, not someone saying "scientifically" the 3" is better. I love how people that are into science always pull the "anecdotal evidence" card and claim peoples experiences hold no weight. Your right, my car didn't feel more torque with the 2.5" and the OP should just go to a local muffler shop and get 4" from the turbo back

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2002 VW Jetta 1.8t
      04-30-2012 04:13 PM #43
      FFS! Just go 3" in the event you choose to upgrade, if not, oh well. Done.
      02' AWP :: UniStage2+ @25psi--Frankenturbo F4H :: Bosch 440cc :: NGK BKR7E@.028 Gap :: B&B 3" TurboBack :: Boostvalve MBC+N75F Parallel :: Forge007p DV :: VMaxx Coilovers

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Then: 04 tr vf stg 2 .:R 32 R.I.P. 6/25/10 Now: JB 03 20th AE apr k04
      04-30-2012 04:50 PM #44
      I love my eurojet 3in tb but from what I hear they have slowed down production of it but I got mine from ese tuning back in jan i would hit them up if you want one. My friend had a 42dd on his gli it was louder than my ej and his would blow out fire balls some times. Here is a video of the ej 3in tb here.
      Last edited by hiplazma; 04-30-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Vehicles
      ms3 zoom zoom
      04-30-2012 06:21 PM #45
      Going to a 2.5tb will already be removing back pressure. My opinion is 2.5 for stock frame turbo and 3" for BT, I have 3" on my BT car. You can sit here and talk about scientific rigor all you want but until have actually ran both sizes on the same car you can't speak on the difference it makes IMO. You can only speak about your 3" on your car now, not about the 2.5 you had before the 3" and now how much faster your car is after the 3" and how it regained all the low end torque. My experiences or anecdotal evidence as you put it comes from actually running both sizes. Sometimes peoples opinions are what people are looking for, not someone saying "scientifically" the 3" is better. I love how people that are into science always pull the "anecdotal evidence" card and claim peoples experiences hold no weight. Your right, my car didn't feel more torque with the 2.5" and the OP should just go to a local muffler shop and get 4" from the turbo back
      Right. An engineer at Garrett is wrong and you're right. Got it.
      science: it's for real.

Vehicles
      2010 Jeep Rubicon Unlt'd, 2012 Passat Highline 2.5 (Sport pkg), 2003 GTi AE MBP
      04-30-2012 06:36 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by peace2matteo View Post
      does your wife have any interest in breast implants? Those are always a good way to spend your money!!!
      she doesn't need them. but maybe we can buy you some balls

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      04-30-2012 06:43 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by snakeyes76 View Post
      she doesn't need them. but maybe we can buy you some balls
      My Build

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      2010 Jeep Rubicon Unlt'd, 2012 Passat Highline 2.5 (Sport pkg), 2003 GTi AE MBP
      04-30-2012 06:51 PM #48
      you guys are killing me .. lol ... but I'm definately listening to everyones "opinions".
      I also read that turbos don't really need the backpressure like N/As do. but since we're looking at keeping it as close to stock as possible, i think the 2.5 is sufficent.
      - Anyone here going to waterfest in NJ this july? - haven't been since 2003

Vehicles
      2001 jetta wolfsburg, 1989 jetta gli
      04-30-2012 07:01 PM #49
      im seriously considering going but its a 12 hour drive gonna be a pain in the ass to leave work at 5 and get to NJ by early saturday and not be half dead
      Quote Originally Posted by G3T3I7 View Post
      because race springs
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti View Post
      i love sacks
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      TCL isn't car enthusiasts. It's a forum for 40 year old guys to brag about their 2007 Hyundai Sonata. And to talk meaningless sh*t on anything VW

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      04-30-2012 07:03 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by babarber View Post
      im seriously considering going but its a 12 hour drive gonna be a pain in the ass to leave work at 5 and get to NJ by early saturday and not be half dead
      Bring a passenger and drive shifts
      My Build

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L
      04-30-2012 09:50 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by 18T_BT View Post
      We don't know what he proved. Did he use the product as it was intended? If not, then guess what he proved...
      All he proved, even if it was a better-than-APR tune, is that their tuning was holding back in order to avoid doing rods (makes sense considering the $6k+ price of the kit back in the day); I'm sure the product was used as intended, he drove the piss out of it
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ Officially zero Fuchs given.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      Oh hot damn, a diesel wagon with a stickshift. I've always wanted to feel like I was driving a UPS truck everywhere I go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12